THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Our .577 - ENGRAVING FINISHED!!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our .577 - ENGRAVING FINISHED!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Our gun finally found its way to the engraver two weeks ago!!!!! FINALLY, we are in the home stretch for this monster to get finished!

I spoke with the engraver, Mark Swanson, and sent him a nice big check early last week. He started cutting the gun this week. He thinks he'll get it back to Butch in about two or three months.

At that point, Butch only has to regulate it, blu it and finish it. Then, it is OURS!!!!!

For a quick summary to anyone who is interested, here are some photos of the gun's progress. But first, here is Butch and I with the .577 in the white at DSC:

Here is the wood blank that the stock and fore end was cut from:

Here are some pictures of the stock as it was getting fitted to the action and barrels:

And last, but not least, here is the future owner of the rifle:

Some specifics about our .577 (can you tell we are just a little excited?):

.577 NE 3" regulated for 750 Woodleigh bullets
Boxlock with faux sideplates
Upgraded wood
Extended trigger guard
Trap grip cap
Stock Medallion with "PPE" engraved on it
Cape Buffalo on one side
Rhino on the other side
Elephant on the bottom of receiver
English scroll and rose accents
One fixed and one folding sights
25" barrels
Leather recoil pad

I've been stocking up on Woodleigh bullets in both 750 and 650 grains and have been searching for additional BELL brass cases.

As additional updates become available, I'll be sure to post.

Also, when we finally take possession we'll be heading to the range and inviting anyone to come along who wants to see that dog bark.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice!!! i know y'all are about to go crazy with anticipation......

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the targeted gun weight?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch originally gave us an estimate around 14.5 lbs.

At DSC, he estimated 14 lbs.

Depending on how much metal the engraver takes out, it may weigh in somewhere between 13.75 and 14 lbs.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful piece of work.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I saw this post, I was expecting to see it in your hands....I am sure it will be an exceptional DR!

Is the engraver sending you pics as he goes along???

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

The engraver is "old school" and doesn't even have a computer, let a lone email or the internet.

I'm going to send him a disposable camera so he can document the engraving.

Then I'll try to post them on here.

Hey, don't they have disposable digital cameras these days?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That young man looks really great in that hat!

Nice looking dad and rifle too!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty!

Now, if only we could get Onyx to make children sized hats with the AR and DRSS logos on them, he's be the DRSS' honorary mascot!

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
That is a dream rifle!! thumb

Handsome little huntin' buddy too.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a thing to possess. What a thing to be able to hand down. May it be in your family a thousand years or more. And, may there be BIG FIVE BEASTS to hunt for JUST AS LONG.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Very Nice. Doesn't seem to have the extended trigger guard you mentioned though.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't seem to have the extended trigger guard you mentioned though.

Butch took those pictures before it was installed. The extended trigger guard will be on the finished gun.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, here are some pics from the engraver. He has finished with the scroll work and is now starting on the three animals.

NOT TOO MUCH LONGER NOW!!!!!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

A few words come to mind like...Fantasic, Amazing, Wonderful, and you lucky dog!!!

Looking forward to seeing more when Butch progesses and when you recieve this DR!!!! You guys must be pretty happy at this point Big Grin

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

Yeah, I opened my email tonight and found these in my inbox. These photos are smaller than the ones I opened - the larger files show so much detail.

Thanks for your kind words. We are so excited at this point! What I saw in the photos is better than I expected!

I will update everyone else as new stuff comes our way.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent looking rifle. Any plans to take a few ele's with it?

Cory

Still saving up for a .500NE double rifle(Searcy of course)

Posts: 189 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Jim, Cory,
This is better than Paul and I had imagined! Butch had originally had us using one of the engravers that he used many times in the past, but he felt that what we wanted, he couldn't accommidate us! Butch put us in touch with Mark Swanson, and boy are we glad he did! I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled we are with what has been done!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out standing looking rifle I think I hate you jumping
its people like you that get people like me into debt-- I want one I want one beer

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ugliest damn gun I've ever seen....

OK, I'm just kidding! It's really amazing and I think I am as jealous as RMOO7!

thumb

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
Hi 577,

Incredible rifle. Congratulations.

Is the "base rifle" for this a "Deluxe" model or is this a custom version of his 577 Boxlock?

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work! My Searcy is the pride of my gun collection. I know you will feel the same way with yours.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don:

This is a delux boxlock with a number of upgrades.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
All,
Thanks to all for the kind words! Butch's 577 boxlock is the base for what you see here. We upgraded the wood, added the faux sideplates, extended trigger guard, leather recoil pad, and custom engraving.
Future plans are to take this baby to Africa, but as of yet, no plans are made!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is like waiting for the birth of your first child! Of course the ultra-sound is better quality! clap

Congratulations Guys! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I get to shoot that work of art...Before Africa...But to tell the truth any time to shoot that ultimate boomer will be fine by me...Doc and Paul looking forward to our next range day... Cool
Love the pic of the young hunter....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All,
Thanks to all for the kind words! Butch's 577 boxlock is the base for what you see here. We upgraded the wood, added the faux sideplates, extended trigger guard, leather recoil pad, and custom engraving.
Future plans are to take this baby to Africa, but as of yet, no plans are made!

Doc52

I see Alzheimer is setting in....there goes my old man forgetting some of the other stuff we did with the rifle. Pop, did we get the trap grip cap? YES! Did we get the Stock Medallion? YES!

You see guys, they say the apple doesn't fall from the tree...well in my case, this tree was planted on the side of the hill and when I fell off, I rolled down the hill.

I still love him to death and ain't ready to put him out to pasture yet. When the .577 does arrive, I may change my mind so I can shoot it more.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dang, Paul!
It's a thing of beauty and a joy to behold!
Only words that come to my mind are, "Oh, WOW!"

Congratulations, once again!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gorgeous rifle!!! congrats!!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Lookin good! Nice to see the rifles after they leave the shop.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.577 NE,

That's a beauty and I know what I'm talking about because as you know I had one and have one on the way. I must say yours is shaping up better than the one I sold. Great gun, can't wait to see it done.

Maineguide

Posts: 75 | Location: Dover NH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Simply Stunning!

That is one fine piece of walnut.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Has to be some of the best engraving I have ever seen.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very fine looking rifle. It will be something that your family treasures.

Shooting it will make an even greater impression on a person than viewing it does.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guy.

Jim, if you are still making it to the DRSS hunt in August, it should make it's first public appearance there!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude! Pop!

What's with the avatar pictures?????

Are we going to have to be careful at the DRSS hunt this August?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another photo from the engraver!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Man, that rifle needs to be used hard on an Elephant.
Maybe somewhere in Zimbabwe?
A few places that come to mind are Matetsi area, Chirisa or Dande.
Will be great. Wink
cheers
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote