Find
Notify
Tools

POI and DR brand POLE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H,

you are most probably correct - but could also be a result of the relatively hard pressure most double triggers need compared to bolt rifles and competition rifles.

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
One interesting thing that shows up in this poll is that when a double no matter the make doesn't shoot center it shoots to the right. I suspect that the cause is that some shooters have a tendency to pull the rifle to the right while the rifle's barrel regulator doesn't. Probably. the most common cause of hooting to the right is the shooter using the trigger finger first joint rather than the trigger finger pad to press the trigger. When you use the finger joint it is difficult to pull the trigger straight back. Of course, if you pull right consistently it makes no difference in the out come if you adjust the sights to compensate for it.

465H&H

I most definitely use the first joint instead of the pad on my trigger finger. Never strummed the rear trigger either! Cool

And the point I was trying to make, with all 4 of my rifles shooting to the right, is that it is DEFINITELY me and my technique causing this as the rifles shot dead center when friends of mine shot them ... one of which strummed the rear trigger on the Merkel, probably using the pad of his finger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

what 465H&H and Todd says is not rubbish. Sighting technique, pulling the trigger technique and holding the rifle technique is something that influence where the bullet hit. A one millimeter twist from dead on sighting line at muzzle, without taking bullet drop or influence from wind into consideration, will make a ten millimeter difference on 100 meters. If the twist is to the right the bullet will normally hit a little bit down to the right side also due to the barrel twist. This is known facts from competition shooting as far as I remember.

Is also known that hard triggers normally pull the rifle to the right for right hand shooters. And opposite for left hand shooters. The fact Todd is pointing at; different techniques holding the rifle also have a great impact on where the bullet hit.

However, what you say that hitting an inch outside dead center on 10 yards make a foot outside dead center on 25 yards is wrong. It is not possible unless the barrel have a bend swinging the bullet path away from sighting line. I cannot remember having seen such a rifle !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One should know how to shoot and not disturb the sight picture.If you cant what can I say?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
One should know how to shoot and not disturb the sight picture.If you cant what can I say?

That is correct - but that was not the point was it ? Your statement is wrong anyhow !

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a way of testing the rifle and that is by shooting it off the bench or from a solid rest.I you cant do this properly-again what can I say? BTW,an experienced shooter can and will get the same results offhand.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
There is a way of testing the rifle and that is by shooting it off the bench or from a solid rest.I you cant do this properly-again what can I say?

George,

I give up - you do not understand at all. You can have the last word ! Game over and end of story !

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
While right hand twist, or spin drift as I usually refer to it, is a consideration; I have never shot anything greater than .30 caliber at longer ranges. I started to take spin drift into account past 600 yards. Not sure what issue there might be with larger calibers at closer ranges. My first thought would be that at 100 to 200 yards spin drift could be pretty much ignored.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I just wanted George to understand that there are a few items that influence on where the bullet hits. Spin drift is one of them, but as you say this does not influence much on short distances when large calibers are used. " Errors " like sighting and holding influences much more - that was Todd's point also. He tried unsuccessfully to make George understand, but like he was afraid of in the beginning he did not succeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are the Krieghoff owners?

Whom ever is smart enough to buy a Krieghoff, is also smart enough to NOT join in on your "pole".

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I figured you were on top of it, but I actually don't know anything about the big cartridges so I sort carefully. I figure there are great gems of wisdom available on these forums if I can sort them out from the stones.

Sighting errors and trigger control are absolutely critical: front sight, front sight, squeeze. Words that have helped me.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on guys lets have some more votes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The size of your number set will be so small that any results you think are significant will not be.

Hats off to you for trying.

Cheers,

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get better results shooting off-hand at 200 yards standing up in a hammock.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Is this the correct "pole"?
bsflag
The BS "pole"! animal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote