New
Find
Notify
Tools

POI and DR brand POLE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to know how your double rifles shot with respect to the center position of the rear sight when you just received them new.

Question:
How did the shoot?
1-HEYM
2-VC
3-Krieghoff
4-Searcy

C=center B=left A=extreme left D=right E=extreme right ABCDE
|
center

Choices:
1-a
1-b
1-c
1-d
1e
2-a
2-b
2-c
2-d
2-e
3-a
3-b
3-c
3-d
3-e
4-a
4-b
4-c
4-d
4-e

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis ??

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Chapuis ??

OK,make that no.5 and Merkel no.6
I am more interested in a vote without the owner identifying himself.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
George, against my better judgement, I'm going to answer. I hope this isn't another of your fishing expeditions to start throwing crap, but I'll answer in the interest of those who may really be seeking information on double rifles.

For some reason, all 4 of the double rifles I've owned or own, all print about 2 or 3 inches to the right at 50 yards. Letting a few friends shoot my rifles, they shot spot on, but there is something about the way I shoot or hold the rifle that causes them to shoot a bit right. This has been the case with 2 VCs, 1 Chapuis, and 1 Merkel. All the same.

A small adjustment of the rear sight to the left corrects it, and I do mean, a very small correction. No locktite required! See below:

500NE, VC, 50 yards, prior to moving the sight:

After moving the sight as depicted above:

500NE, Merkel, I think this was 25 yards as it's been awhile since I owned that rifle. In any event, this was prior to moving the sights over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So Todd that makes yours a 2d.Thanks for your honest reply.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
So Todd that makes yours a 2d.Thanks for your honest reply.

Yes, a 2d and on both VCs. Aaron Neilson owned the 577 before me. You might ask how it shot for him personally. If dead on, that will help confirm it's something in the way I hold/fire the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Spelling tutor to aisle one! (again) Roll Eyes

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A note to participants- please be honest.There is no fun unless things concerning rifles and shooting are this way and its all about having fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My regular irons were centered, but an inch or so low for me. The peep, when installed, was about 2" left, good on height.
That was on a K-gun. And the front sight is adjustable in height. There is a small screw on the bottom of it.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
My regular irons were centered, but an inch or so low for me. The peep, when installed, was about 2" left, good on height.
That was on a K-gun. And the front sight is adjustable in height. There is a small screw on the bottom of it.

An inch at 10yds is equal to about a foot at 25yds so it is important to use a reference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis 8x57 JRS at 40 meters 2 inch high and 1 inch to the right ! Have not shot more than 34 rounds in late September - so not very experienced.

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:

An inch at 10yds is equal to about a foot at 25yds so it is important to use a reference.

popcorn

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sense a fake vote for the Heym.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
poll .. not pole .. just saying

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Since 25yds is 10yds X 2.5 then:

1" spread @ 10yds = 2.5" spread @ 25yds

Also

1" spread @ 10yds = 1' spread @ 120yds

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can't answer until you change the OP to POLL. Spelling is important to me.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:

On what Planet?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9579 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If POI is a foot left at 25yds it might only be an inch to the left at around 10yds.If you dont know this you have just learned something new.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If 1" left at 10 yards and 1 foot left at 25 yds , then what is it at 100 yds?

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
If 1" left at 10 yards and 1 foot left at 25 yds , then what is it at 100 yds?

Nick

Good question Nickh - this is totally rubbish from George. As a former competition shooter in my younger days you know that 1 cm ( approx 0,4 inch ) at 100 meters ( 110 yards ) makes 3 cm ( approx 1,2 inch ) at 300 meters ( 330 yards ) etc ... It is not possible for 1 inch to become 1 foot in only 15 yards... simple mathematics !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess you'd best add a yardage spec to your "pole" there, George. For your computing pleasure it was 50 on the irons and 100 on the peep.
And that was off a standing rest.
How much holdover and windage did you calculate for the Searcy, past 10 yds to hit at 50? Did you file your front sight to mildot size to make it easier?

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sorry, George, but that is not so. If the POI is 12" left at 25yds then it is 4.8" left at 10yds. If you double the distance then you double the deviation from the centerline. If you triple the distance you triple the deviation. If you multiply the distance by 25 then you multiply the deviation by 25. Conversely, if you halve the distance you halve the deviation, etc. You are probably just trying to over-think it.
quote:
If POI is a foot left at 25yds it might only be an inch to the left at around 10yds.If you dont know this you have just learned something new.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Someone needs remedial math as well as remedial spelling lessons.
If it's me, kill me now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hilarious!
Wait for the statistical analysis of the results of this "pole." That requires some math too. rotflmo

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Todd, Aren't you sorry that you answered this?

I'm waiting fro his alter ego to show up and claim him to be the messiah next.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The POLL is going good!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a very important Poll to me.I know that there will be some error in the Poll but it will help myself and others who are planning to buy a double or just dreaming to.We are people who like to make the least mistakes possible.A double that cannot shoot straight from the start has little value to us!
Where are the Krieghoff owners?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a very important Poll to me.I know that there will be some error in the Poll but it will help myself and others who are planning to buy a double or just dreaming to.We are people who like to make the least mistakes possible.A double that cannot shoot straight from the start has little value to us!

Probably getting their thumb tendonitis treated caused by the cocking mechanism.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel 140 .500 Nitro Center but 3" low.
Merkel 140 .500 Nitro Center
Merkel 140 9.3x74R Center
Merkel 140 .375 H&H 4" low 2" left

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff 470
Dead center.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok,, jeeze, Krieghoff 450-400; dead center. Krieghoff 9.3mm: dead center.
Now will you change the damn spelling of "Poll"?

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Chapuis UGEX 9,3 x 74 r... test target received with rifle showed both barrels about 1" high... my first paper target shot with irons printed both barrels 1" hi at 25 yds..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Now will you change the damn spelling of "Poll"?
It's the French spelling.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Poles are the specialty of polecats.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife told me that she saw my pole at 10 yards and it still looks like an inch at 25 yards! Oh, well.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

Probably getting their thumb tendonitis treated caused by the cocking mechanism.[/QUOTE]
rotflmo

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets see if we make it to 50 votes.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
No, I believe in French it would be "liste des électeurs" or perhaps simply "questionnaire."

Life is better with him and his buddy on the ignore list.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One interesting thing that shows up in this poll is that when a double no matter the make doesn't shoot center it shoots to the right. I suspect that the cause is that some shooters have a tendency to pull the rifle to the right while the rifle's barrel regulator doesn't. Probably. the most common cause of hooting to the right is the shooter using the trigger finger first joint rather than the trigger finger pad to press the trigger. When you use the finger joint it is difficult to pull the trigger straight back. Of course, if you pull right consistently it makes no difference in the out come if you adjust the sights to compensate for it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
One interesting thing that shows up in this poll is that when a double no matter the make doesn't shoot center it shoots to the right. I suspect that the cause is that some shooters have a tendency to pull the rifle to the right while the rifle's barrel regulator doesn't. Probably. the most common cause of hooting to the right is the shooter using the trigger finger first joint rather than the trigger finger pad to press the trigger. When you use the finger joint it is difficult to pull the trigger straight back. Of course, if you pull right consistently it makes no difference in the out come if you adjust the sights to compensate for it.

465H&H

What rubbish.If you do not know about shooting dont mislead others.