Find
Notify
Tools

Why not Kreighoff?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I had a Blaser S-2 and I thought it was a solid rifle. I sold it and am going to be back in the double market in a few years.

Why not a Kreighoff Safari?

They get a little bad press on here from those guys that like the classic English guns.

I really like the decocker, so it's a natural for me.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Someone can add to this:

Pros
1. price is reasonable
2. still in production (for spare parts and service)
3. .416 caliber in a rimmed cartridge at 2300+ fps is available
4. Safe to carry with rounds in chamber

Cons
1. Germanic style stock and forend
2. requires cocking after reload (I think?)
3. garish characters when engraved (sometimes)
4. appreciation isn't as great as some others in case of re-sale.
5. Weight may be too light in larger calibers
6. Sooner or later somebody is going forget and try to push the cocker to and fro like traditional safeties and get squashed (but you could forget to load a Royal Grade H&H or something like that?).

I've edited to add that I've never heard of one failing to fire??

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think they are a well built rifle! Most folks don't like the cocking device, but then no one likes change.

PWN375 had a Kreighoff 500/416 for sale a week or so ago in classifieds. Good rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who wants one but just doesn't have what Perry needs to get from his rifle. I couldn't think of any reason to discourage him (since he likes the cocking/safety system). It's why there's vanilla and chocolate... and anybody who doesn't like chocolate is an idiot!!! Razzer

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Unlike the Blaser the Kreighoff does not need to be recocked after reloading.
A great rifle if you like the safty system.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It just depends on your preferences. I jumped on my used 470 Krieghoff because it had a single trigger. It also a left handed butt stock which I had Krieghoff replace with the striaght stock which I like.

I also had K remove the big butt stock tube/bolt which is apparently there for adding shot for weight(?). There is just a simple bolt now which reduced the weight to about 9.7 lbs. I wish it was less but I'll take what I can get.

I'm not a big fan of the cocking device but I think I can get used to it. In a typical scenario you approach the animal and get ready by pushing the safety off, or in the case of the K pushing harder to cock the thing. In the excitement of the situation I don't think it will be a factor.

It must be a subconscious thing to type Kreighoff as I do it too, but it really is Krieghoff. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I own one with two barrel sets. 500/416 & 9.3x74R.

Both with pivot mount scopes available for use. Scopes have returned to zero every time I've removed and replaced them.

You DO NOT have to recock after opening if you leave the combi cocking slide in the fire position.

I've hunted both calibers here and in Africa. Worked as advertised on everything I hunted.

In the 500/416, the Classic Big five has a good weight and balance to me. This model in 9.3x74R is a bit heavy as compared to the other dedicated small frame doubles from Europe. That being said, again works as advertised.

None of the animals I've taken with it have ever complained.

I like it, I'll keep it. My personal preference. Other disagree, so be it. Would I like to have a classic English double in a stopping caliber. Yes. Will I? Probably not unless I win the Power Ball lottery.

Good luck.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 677 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
D99, what caliber Blaser S2 did you have? How did it shoot and, if you can recall, how much did it weigh?

I know they are not "traditional" but I really like them and have been thinking about getting a 9.2X74R or perhaps a .500/.416 or a .470.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

I really like the decocker, so it's a natural for me.

My thumb is not strong enough to operate the Krieghoff cocker/decocker. Frowner

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be mistaken, but didn't someone say that there was a gunsmith in Germany that converted the cocking thingie to a conventional safety on the Krieghoff doubles???

Posts: 81 | Location: Hayward, CA | Registered: 11 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have what is refered to as a European Model in 470 NE. It is all blued with very little engraving.

It regulates at eleven O'Clock with both barrels with 1 inch groups at 50 yards using 88.2 grains Rel 15, Woodleigh Softs, Kynoch Wads, Federal 215 Primers, Bell Brass.

With cocking flange forward it recocks when action is opened.

Per Krieghoff suggestions, I added a Mercury tube to the stock, reduces recoil, and enhanced the balance.

It has never failed. When two buff jumped into the opening in the long grass at 30 feet (could have been 50, they get closer each year) the first one received a 500 grain present from the right barrel, the second one got his from the left. Most efficient.

Dropping the butt recocks the rifle, the empties drop out, reload both barrels and close. Ready for more fun.

When in the grass, I carry the double uncocked at the waist. With practice, the rifle is cocked with my thumb as the rifle is shouldered.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, I love my Krieghoff dancing

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
None of the animals I've taken with it have ever complained.

That pretty much sums it up!

BUT since you asked...

I am unabashedly an "Anglophile", but ONLY when it comes to guns (definately not diplomacy / dental hygene), but gotta hand it Dieter K. for his DRs. Not my cup of tea (no pun intended) with no ejectors and I'd have to re-learn the cocking system...BUT...The ones I've handled are the best overall for this class of DR (sorry blaser, Chapuis, Merkel, Hyem guys)...fit and finish (I didn't say fancy) superb and the minimal size is rather nice to handle. Never heard of one breaking, mis-firing, or being inaccurate, ever!

And, yes I've sat up to the wee-hours of the morning at the Rennissance bar during DSC arguing the merits of ejectors with the K-boys - They're dead-set on their "simpler is safer" philosophy - OK, so be it. I admire conviction - even if I don't completely agree.

So, reckon if I were in the 10-15K DR market, I'd go with a K-hoff...their shotguns are the best for competition period! HEY! those have ejectors!!!...so says me!!!

boohoo

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff and love it. The combi-cocker is very easy to get used to. As a matter of fact it becomes nearly second nature if you practice with the DR at all.

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a K gun in 500/416 as well. I haven't killed anything with it yet. Shoots very accurately. It is still a bit stiff to open, but I am assuming that this is due to not enough use.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love mine to. It's a 9.3 with really nice wood and a blued action with no engraving at all. It's scoped with a Leupold 1.5-5x in swing mounts. It's got the big 5 stock so I can add bigger bbls to it if I want. I like the cocking system as I can carry the rifle on my quad bike with a round up each chamber and be completely safe. Here is a photo of a nice Scrub Bull I wacked last year.
[URL= ]
Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I don't own one (I do have a K-80 shotgun), I think they're great guns. I think Ernest summed it up just right. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Also, by the way, in Charleston, close to where I live, a fellow named Chuck Boggs (304-344-1900) has better prices on new Kreigoffs than anyone I've found. And, NO, I am not getting anything for letting folks here know about Chuck. Just passing on his number; he's a registered Kreighoff dealer.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I am unabashedly an "Anglophile", but ONLY when it comes to guns (definately not diplomacy / dental hygene)...."

Jeff - so do you subscribe to the American form of diplomacy of using a sledgehammer to kill a mouse..... !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I do as a matter of fact.

Dare I ask why you aren't speaking German / Japanese as a national language these days...BIG Sledgehammer, that's why.

And, since I detect a bit of sensitivity hiding deep within the bowels your enquiry I will add that this is not a political forum. I stand corrected for posting my last remark here.

Meanwhile, ain't those Krieghoffs great!

GG375...nice animal...Good eating??

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So where does one find the "euro" K guns without the engraving in the US?

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:
I love mine to. It's a 9.3 with really nice wood and a blued action with no engraving at all. It's scoped with a Leupold 1.5-5x in swing mounts. It's got the big 5 stock so I can add bigger bbls to it if I want. I like the cocking system as I can carry the rifle on my quad bike with a round up each chamber and be completely safe. Here is a photo of a nice Scrub Bull I wacked last year.
[URL= ]
Cheers.

GG

GG,

Do you have an idea of what your 9.3 weighs stripped?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:
I love mine to. It's a 9.3 with really nice wood and a blued action with no engraving at all.
Cheers.

GG

GG is yours the European model? It seems to fit Jim's description

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GG375,

Nice looking bull and a nice rifle to boot. Congratulations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will

Mine weighs just under 8.5 pounds without the scope and mounts and a little over 9.5 pounds with - probably a little on the heavy side for a 9.3 but I bought it second hand at a very good price so will just have to put up with it.

Really not sure if this is the European version - but the guy I bought it off was the Australian agent and he ordered it with the thought of later adding .470 bbls - hence the big 5 stock shape. He also specified the blued and unengraved action and the wood upgrade. The photo with the bull doesn't do justice to the wood at all. Here is another photo -
[URL= ]

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's damn nice wood!!!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
That rifle looks familiar!
Did John sell it. Mad
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think part of Kreighoff's issue is marketing.

"Decocker" - the slang term for a physician specializing in male to female sex change operations.

And "combi cock"? Not a whole lot better. Most of us are multi taskers, but come on. While there could be a scenario when the additional utility of a bottle opener or screwdriver could come in handy, current laws concerning standards of modesty would preclude such uses.

Yep. Kreighoff needs to back to school on appropriate nomenclature. Terms that conjure visions of emasculation don't help sales of big bores. Remember, you heard it here first Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

You damn'd nut!
stir

Is that "traffic" over there getting to you!!!
lol

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Manion,

Well said, and spoken like a true Texas Gentleman!!

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter

Yes. Do you know him? - if so tell him its going great next time you speak to him.

Cheers

GG

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I love the blued frame.

Mine has the Cape Buff and Lion scratching on its sides. Not a big fan of that, however with the deal I got on it and how well it shoots - I'll make do.

I did at one time own a standard Classic in .30-06 (I know, not rimmed, double gun violation) that was a bit lighter. It shot very well and accounted for several heads of plains game at ranges out to 210 meters on a springbuck.

I second (or third or fourth) the motion - I love hunting with my Classic.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 677 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have "heard" that the heavier caliber Krieghoffs have a propensity toward doubling after some time and wear.

Have any of you Krieghoff guys had this problem? Or is it simply a bunch of crap?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wes Pryor:
I may be mistaken, but didn't someone say that there was a gunsmith in Germany that converted the cocking thingie to a conventional safety on the Krieghoff doubles???

I have problems cocking the rifle, that's why I paged through old threads, just wanted to read what other people think about the cocking device.

BTW I don't think anybody can convert that double to a traditional one.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
My opinion is that the Krieghoff D/R is a perfectly sound choice for any game hunting on
Earth. PRACTICE with a rifle is mandatory to be a Very Good hunter with such rifle. What
kind of "hunter" would want to be less than "Very Good" at that pursuit?

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike,

Don't know about the big boomers but I have
K-Gun 450/400 NE 3in. and have never had a
problem with the cocker or doubling. Takes a little more pressure with thumb and practice,
practice, practice.

Good shooting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only issue with them is for a new rifle they are as much as a Heym 88B. But the new K gun will not be stocked to your measurements and you can have them in any barrel length you want as long as it is 24 inches.

Now if the stock feels good to you and in a clean used rifle, they make a great deal.

But I would not speed 16K for a new one (asking price at DSC last year) when the Heym or VC will be built for you.

Posts: 11385 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
JG
2. requires cocking after reload (I think?)

When the K-gun first came out many of us had some real concern about the cocking system and made some predictions that turned out to be a poor guess, and nothing more. Sadly I was one of those who were wary of this new contraption.

The above quote by Judge G is one of those misconceptions. Unlike the Blaser, the K-gun once loaded and cocked and fired or opened for any reason it re-cocks it's self just like all other double rifles except the Blaser!

My only problem with the K-gun is if I bought one I would have to have it re-stocked to fit me! ..........AND the accident waiting to happen idea has proven to be just people, me included,speaking about something they really did not understand!

Today if I could find one chambered for 450-400 3in the fit me even reasonably well, I would buy it in a heart beat for the right price!

I'm old but not old enough at age 81 yrs
to say I was wrong about the K-gun back in the day!
.................................................................. Whistling old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
My only issue with them is for a new rifle they are as much as a Heym 88B. But the new K gun will not be stocked to your measurements and you can have them in any barrel length you want as long as it is 24 inches.

Now if the stock feels good to you and in a clean used rifle, they make a great deal.

But I would not speed 16K for a new one (asking price at DSC last year) when the Heym or VC will be built for you.

Krieghoff makes stocks according to your measurements. You can order a gun made to your specifications. When I ordered my Classic Big Five I told them how the stock got to be, sent them photographs of buffalo and leopard - I‘m very pleased with the engravings. When I‘m not wrong Krieghoff was the very first company making stocks according to your measurements.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
With all this banter, the answer to the original question has been lost.
Question:
Why not a Kreighoff?
Answer:
Because it's a Kreighoff.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Krieghoff makes stocks according to your measurements. You can order a gun made to your specifications. When I ordered my Classic Big Five I told them how the stock got to be, sent them photographs of buffalo and leopard - I‘m very pleased with the engravings. When I‘m not wrong Krieghoff was the very first company making stocks according to your measurements.

Not as part of the price of a base line ordered rifle.

Posts: 11385 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote