Please forgive my ignorance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarawa:
quote:
p

I still can't figure why anyone would spend more on a DG bolt action other than a Winchester, Ruger or CZ. When speaking of doubles you are in a whole different class. Don't ask me what it is...it just is something about two barrels soldered together. Don't bother comparing.

When you own an original George Gibbs 505 Gibbs, an Original Jeffrey in 500 Jeffrey,
an original WR 425WR, an original WR 318WR, an original H&H in 375H&H, then you will know.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
quote:
p

I still can't figure why anyone would spend more on a DG bolt action other than a Winchester, Ruger or CZ. When speaking of doubles you are in a whole different class. Don't ask me what it is...it just is something about two barrels soldered together. Don't bother comparing.

When you own an original George Gibbs 505 Gibbs, an Original Jeffrey in 500 Jeffrey,
an original WR 425WR, an original WR 318WR, an original H&H in 375H&H, then you will know.

Great guns, but not the bolt actions that were mentioned at the beginning of the post. Nor the same price range. Given a choice, I would still take a WR, Jeffrey or H&H double to their own bolt actions.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
quote:
p

Great guns, but not the bolt actions that were mentioned at the beginning of the post. Nor the same price range. Given a choice, I would still take a WR, Jeffrey or H&H double to their own bolt actions.

I think you are missing the point. The question is why spend $5K on a bottom of the barrel double when the same $$$ could buy a truly top-flight, new or lightly used. depending on make, rifle of a another type, in this case a bolt gun. There are differences between a a Win, Rem, Ruger etc and something like a GMA, Echols, Dakota, etc. Are you saying it makes more sense to spend $5K on a cheap double that is regulated by grinding the crowns, which may or may not be suitable for DG based on how stable the bullets are in flight as a result of the regulation method (or lack of), than it does to spend the same money on a bolt gun by a top US maker?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of bolt guns. They are nothing but tools to me. I don't get the same enjoyment out of them as I do my cheap doubles, not the notorious "S" guns but cheap doubles none the same. My bolt guns feed well and shoot as good as my old eyes allow, but to pay triple for a bolt gun that may shoot a half inch tighter or or has nicer wood doesn't make sense to me. Bringing a double to the range just makes my day and just about everyone else at the range. I probably will never pay $6K for a rifle but if I do it will not be a bolt action. That's all I'm saying.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
I probably will never pay $6K for a rifle

You could if you played your cards right! Big Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You shoot a Chapuis 9.3 x 74 double. I believe I have seen some models of this gun sell for less than a new Sabbati...or at least close to the same. Much rather have a Chapuis than a $6K bolt gun, but this is only my opinion.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Wowsa, didnt realize some of our members hailed from such elite and upscale blood linesSmiler

And to think I actually enjoy my 30 06 Baikal and my under $5K Chapuis actually gives me a chubby. I must be the poster child for double rifle trash.

PS: Don't tell anyone but if a manufactor offered a stainless steel double with a syn stock and removeable side plates I would most likely sell my current rifles to buy one. For some stupid reason these rifles are more fun to hunt with than fondle and admire dancing

Snowwolfe,
I belong to the same DR club as you!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
All the DR's are fun even the small bore 9.3's.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,
You shoot a Chapuis 9.3 x 74 double. I believe I have seen some models of this gun sell for less than a new Sabbati...or at least close to the same. Much rather have a Chapuis than a $6K bolt gun, but this is only my opinion.

I would not class a Chapuis with a Sabatti nor would I call a Chapuis a cheap double. I too, would rather have a 9.3x74 Chapuis than a $6K bolt gun but I would rather have a $6K bolt gun than a Sabatti if that makes any sense.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
quote:
Mike,

I would not class a Chapuis with a Sabatti nor would I call a Chapuis a cheap double. I too, would rather have a 9.3x74 Chapuis than a $6K bolt gun but I would rather have a $6K bolt gun than a Sabatti if that makes any sense.

Makes sense to me. Lets call them "working class" doubles and bolts. Cheap only counts with wine and women!

Life Is For Service
DRSS