New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Needed !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think younger guys who KNOW that they want to hunt AFRICA, be it for Big Five catagory game or not, should do it BEFORE GETTING MARRIED, BEFORE HEALTH STARTS TO FAIL & BEFORE TURNING THIRTY!

If you put it off, you may eliminate your opportunity FOR EVER!

Age and diminished health sneak up on you and both cut down your ability to do physical things and to earn money.

Marraige and parenthood requires people to re-order how money is spent or stock piled, unless the couple is wealthy.

If you are in your twenty's and are a financially middle class guy, and you figure you'll marry a financially middle class women, get the firearms you want and go on the hunts that you dream about BEFORE THE "I DO'S....."

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
say A M E N to that !

big five jack, you certainly have a way with words.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
BFJack,

That is what I did. You are giving the best advice ever. Take the trip now, unmarried, no kids, no reason not to go. I snuck off to Africa at age 28. Best time of my life.

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ROSCOE,

who told you that? The part about wishing you could do that with women, I mean? I did...almost 27 before I tied the knot.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jake
under 3k, you are looking at a kodiak rechambered or a worked over shotgun.. while I really have a hope against hope for the spartan in 45/70, the kodiak in 45/70, rechambered, is the only way.

there USED to be a 5 to 7k range, but merkel has gone very high.

at or under 8k, you can get a merkel, champuis, used krieghoff (maybe) or an odd ball, worn out (generally guys) caliber that needs ALOT of work

under 11k, you can get a brand new searcy, that will fit you, in whatever caliber you want.

Caliber will make a big swing in pricing.. a popular caliber, 500, 470NE, 450, 450#2, or 450/400 will command a premium over say a 475, or 465... STAY AWAY FROM ODD CALIBERS

you might could get a champuis in 9,3x74 for a good price.

A used double is (probably) not going to fit you. That sort of detracts from its value, to me. Further, the cheaper the gun vs it's real price... well, just expect it to have alot of $$$$$trouble later.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
STAY AWAY FROM ODD CALIBERS

Jeffe:

Can you elaborate more about this? Are you referring to "odd ball" NE calibers?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sure,
the 475 NE.. uses anything from .478 to .488? bullets, 50-465,.468 bullets, 577-500.. huge case, crummy performance.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
If figured that's what you meant, Jeffe, but your post wasn't clear. Since your response was directed to a "newbie," I thought clarification was in order.

Today finding brass and bullets won't be too difficult, even with "odd ball" calibers. Money will get you anything.

Ten years ago, totally different story!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I guess most of you guys are young skwirts. My grandad went to work for a company after he got out of the army in 1946. He worked for that company for 53 years, saved a buttload of money, retired and died shortly thereaftrer. I'm not giving any of you kids any finantial advise but I ain't leaving you any money either. You don't have any idea how long you are going to live. Go out and live.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1253 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeff,
the "odd ball calibers to avoid " are really the old black powder ones - like the 577-500.

i don't think Messrs Holland & Holland would take kindly to your referring to their beloved (and proprietary ) 465 as an odd ball.

every -old - double rifle MUST BE SLUGGED before attempting reloading. calibers were not standardized in England until about 1920 so there can be considerable difference in bore diameters and chambers from what is the norm today

if the jake wants it, i'll sell him my 470 merkel for $7,500. it is nearly new.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote