Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Needed !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red River Jake
posted
Hello ya'll, my name is Jake Jones. I'm looking for a good double in 470 or 500 nitro express. Anyone who might have one of these rifles or might know where one that has a good price on it would be greatly appriceated.

Thank you,
Jake Jones

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an Army & Navy .470 on gunbroker.com for $26K.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I think newguy and tomo577 both have merkels for sale under $10K.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whats your budget that would help us alot.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My budhet unfourtnetly is that of a working man and therefore I need a "working gun". I am very thankful for all of you helping me out... If there is anything I can do in return all you have to do is ask.

Thank you,
Jake Jones

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Here's a Merkel 470 I have for sale.

Merkel 470

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there is anything I can do in return all you have to do is ask.

Lets see!! It is time for my winter wash/ wax job on the airplane. My truck could use one also........ Big Grin

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Mr. Mississippi... I highly doubt to find myself waxing trucks and planes even though it is a tempting offer, I do believe however that we can figure some way to get what we both want. : )

Happy hunting,
Jake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$8K is a good price for this.

(see the link in new guy's post above)

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
new guy has some real nice stuff and got to handle a few items at the last drss shoot hes a stand up guy and if he had something i wanted i wouldnt hesitate to do business with him.

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
I'll second that!

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out the other posts in the double rifle column. there are 3 in particular :

cheap intro

is this good for a buff hunt

cheap double rifles -

all these relate to $2,500 doubles ......

for a working mans budget !!

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In what calibers might they be in and are they relieable ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT WOULD HELP IF YOU READ THE POSTS !

THEN CONTACT THE MAKERS AND JUDGE FOR YOURSELF.

DON'T BE NAIVE - YOU WILL NOT GET A $15,000 DOUBLE RIFLE FOR $2,500.

BUT IF YOU ARE SINCERE ABOUT GETTING INTO A DOUBLE RIFLE AT LITTLE MONEY THESE ARE WORTH LOOKING AT.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red River Jake:
In what calibers might they be in and are they relieable ?

They are not for dangerous game use. Just toys, really.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tommo tell us what you really think..............lol

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
And stop yelling... turn of the damn caps lock

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any of the 45 cal rifles can be reamed out to
450 x 3 1/4 or even better 450 # 2

i rent these reamers for $25.00

in the classified there is a $3,000 double rifle listed in some 458 rcbs cal or such.

if jake won't say how much he can spend this is an excersize in wheel spinning. lol

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlmen, I am willing to spend up to about 7,000 but what I want is more of a used gun that still has plenty of life left in her that is also in a popular cal so that getting ammo wont be such a hastle.

Thanks again,
jake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jake, for 8 grand you can get one of a couple merkels available on this forum. both are 470 - a great all around caaliber and probably the favorite world wide.

if you can't borrow the extra thousand bucks sell off some of those bolt rifles - after getting a double you'll be glad you did.

or you can keep on saving till you have it,
good luck , tomo577

TOMO577

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
jake, for 8 grand you can get one of a couple merkels available on this forum. both are 470 - a great all around caaliber and probably the favorite world wide.

if you can't borrow the extra thousand bucks sell off some of those bolt rifles - after getting a double you'll be glad you did.

or you can keep on saving till you have it,
good luck , tomo577

Good Advice

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Merkel in 470 or 500 thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
keep on saving till you have it,

I also agree with tomo577. Im in a similar situation that you are however Im going to try to attend the Tulsa gun show and DRSS meet in Jan 07 before I decide. Good Luck! Kelly

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
Im going to try to attend the DRSS meet in Jan 07 before I decide.

Even better advice. Anyone looking into their first Double rifle purchase should attend one of these events. You will have the opportunity to feel and shoot many styles of doubles...it will help you make your decision. If only you could do this with women....

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
If only you could do this with women....

Roscoe, Have you seen the picture of Coni Brooks in the Barnes Catalog with her Zim Buf? She is holding what appears to be a Double Rifle and the caption reads, "She used a 500 Nitro and a 570 gr. Barnes XLC". Looks like Randy Brooks is blessed with your wish! And my wife wants to do home improvements, save for retirement and other boring things!

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
save for retirement

If you don't max out everything you can in your retirement accounts, your positioning yourself to loose out on A LOT of nice toys and many amazing hunts in the future.

I would offer this advice to any young person who is considering buying a double: invest money into your retirement account first, then into your children's college funds, then go out and buy yourself toys.

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
And my wife wants to do home improvements, save for retirement and other boring things!

577NE, I was just kidding, but I suppose you had no way of knowing.

quote:
invest money into your retirement account first, then into your children's
college funds

This is good advice which my wife and I seem to have in order at the moment however, there is another school of thought concerning this topic. Correct me if Im wrong tomo577, but I seem to remember a post a few weeks ago by tomo encouraging us youngsters to "do it" while we still have our health! Im certain this would be ok if done within reason. As for the college thing, we all know what Dave Ramsey thinks! Scholorships, loans, Military, and work did it for me, no help from parents, and I feel I have a greater appreciation of my accomplishments. 577NE, I will say that one could not go wrong following your advice and I am definately not disputing your plan! Kelly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe in the whole "do it while we're young". I am just wondering... who is the youngest of us on here ?

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm 31. I believe 700Nitro is in his mid 50s?

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess that makes me the greenest gourd on the vine !

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Well, I'm 31. I believe 700Nitro is in his mid 50s?

animal

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ha ha very funny i just turned 24.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm at the ripe ole age of 20... I'm just a pup to you guys... no wonder I feel stupid.haha

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
i just turned 24.

And you already own a 700NE! Will you be my financial adviser? Im 36, what about you Red River? Oh, and did you get the PM I sent several days ago?

Edited: RRjake, we must have posted at the same time. Damn! You make me feel old!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 20 and learning : ) and I'm afraid to say I have a long ways to go... I did not get your PM...

one of us
posted Hide Post
uuuummm im only 4 years older than you red........thats not exactly much.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
RRJ, I sent the PM (attempted to Confused) after my first post about waxing truck and planes etc. I was just letting you know I was picking at you and wanted to make sure you didnt take it in the wrong manor. The remainder of the PM was points that have already been brought forward by other members. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im speeking in terms of experiance... I know that i have a lot to learn about this world but I do thirst for information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Mississippi I do know that you were poking and thats good... Everyone needs a little ribbing every now and then : )

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll say again what i said about doing it while you are young. i'm 63 - until 2 yrs ago i was fit & fine. now i am disabled and can no longer stalk. my hunting is over.

you -may - be able to better afford it later on..... maybe not. but once anything happens to your health ... well you can just throw your cards in - the game is over for you.

trying to save when you are at your lowest earning years is difficult. as you age your income better increase - that is the time to stash it away bigtime with uncle sams blessings. in the meantime, hunt, hunt, hunt!
clap

TOMO577