New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bailey Bradshaw
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You all may not know this Bailey is having his hips replaced so he will be laid up awhile and will not be working in the shop.
He will be driving his wife crazy not cutting metal or wood.
She needs your prayers.
Recover quick Bailey and start those great rifles.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeep he will need Prayers that is a painful surgery and slow healing.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
bailey

if you read this, get well soon, i do enjoy your thinking and working outside the box a lot.

now what did you do since you allready have to have the hips replaced, well maybe i really dont need that kind of info Smiler

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen.

I will get lots of CAD and design work complete that is way overdue. I even have a couple of stocks and actions to do some inletting on in the hospital if I feel up to it. Might get a vise with a C clamp base to attatch to the tray table :-) I hope to be back to work quickly, but know I will be limited for a few weeks.

Let the prayers flow. There's nothing better.

I will be in touch here between threatening the therapy staff and sleeping.

My wife let me know I would have a catheter when I questioned the chances of one. I said they would have to wait until I was out. My reply was acctually," they can do it while I am awake if they can handle my hands around their throat". Really more venting anxiety than anything.

Thanks again Larry!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
bailey

if you read this, get well soon, i do enjoy your thinking and working outside the box a lot.

now what did you do since you allready have to have the hips replaced, well maybe i really dont need that kind of info Smiler

best

peter

Thanks Peter, I really appreciate the encouragement you provide.

41 is pretty young to have hip replacement surgery. I have hip dysplasia, so I was destined for this some day. I only have about 1/2 of the bearing surface of a normal joint. 20yrs of martial arts sped up the process. Been dealing with it for about 6 years, and it's time to get fixed. I have a hard time walking up hills and stairs, and can't walk more than a few hundred yards without hurting pretty bad. Back gets very stiff because it compensates for lack of hip movement.

A word to the wise...take care of your joints. Take suplements and use low impact exercises to stay in shape.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Baily,
It was good meeting you at the DSC 2011 and I wish you a successful operation and recovery.
CRS

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradshaw,

Wish I could have been at DSC to meet you.

I hope the surgery goes well, and that you recover soon. tu2

I'll be praying for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they cath you while your out! but you will be awake for the fun part the removal of the cath Big Grin cheers buddy no anxiety here right Big Grin.
Honestly you will do great just listen to your Doc and DO NOT get in to big a hurt to get back on your feet.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have hip dysplasia, so I was destined for this some day

You must have some Labrador Retriever in you lineage!!!! Get well soon, but don't push it!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
bailey

best

peter

Thanks Peter, I really appreciate the encouragement you provide.

41 is pretty young to have hip replacement surgery. I have hip dysplasia, so I was destined for this some day. I only have about 1/2 of the bearing surface of a normal joint. 20yrs of martial arts sped up the process. Been dealing with it for about 6 years, and it's time to get fixed. I have a hard time walking up hills and stairs, and can't walk more than a few hundred yards without hurting pretty bad. Back gets very stiff because it compensates for lack of hip movement.

A word to the wise...take care of your joints. Take suplements and use low impact exercises to stay in shape.

mate, get well soon and lets plan to walk unde the african sun with weird doubles over our shoulders in the near future.

best

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
your an evil man you have opened this thread up to some great comments I will try to restrain my self animal animal ohhh lord I think my head is going to explode jumping I just bite my tongue rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a few clients have their hip replaced this year and the recovery times are shockingly short. Apparently having your hips done is much easier then knees or shoulders.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
I have had a few clients have their hip replaced this year and the recovery times are shockingly short. Apparently having your hips done is much easier then knees or shoulders.

i have heard the same, but why is that ?
could a few of teh doc's here step in and explain.

and please dont talk about cath, my toes curl just thinking about it and not in the good way

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mate, get well soon and lets plan to walk unde the african sun with weird doubles over our shoulders in the near future.

best

peter[/QUOTE]

That is one hell of a plan my Friend!

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
i am very good at those plans Smiler did you ever see my christmas presents from zambia, it has allmost got me on the track to engraving myself, but only allmost.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/4971012741 CRYBABY CRYBABY

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/2521070741 CRYBABY

lets see what you and i can figure out later in the year, when you are up and running again.

actually with all the kids you have made, be carefull they dont start a research project on you while they have you there, the fretility is dropping with a lot of couppels out there, and you are apparently an ekssample to live up to Smiler

i will be thinking about you while you are in there, i have a joint venture project in mind for us for the fun of it.

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,
I guess that I am different. A catheter allows me to stay in bed to pee. I am kinda lazy.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peterdk,
I'm a nurse not a Doc but a basic answer to your question is. new surgical techs. and new medical tech in general have shorten total bed time drastically in the last few years. what would have had you on bed rest for a couple of weeks few years ago is now a three day stay.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Peterdk,
I'm a nurse not a Doc but a basic answer to your question is. new surgical techs. and new medical tech in general have shorten total bed time drastically in the last few years. what would have had you on bed rest for a couple of weeks few years ago is now a three day stay.

Exactly!!!

It'll be NO big deal and Mr. Bradshaw will be working in his shop in NO time! And...he'll be happy he got it done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Bailey,
One week after the surgery you will curse yourself for not doing it years earlier - that's how much better you will feel.

Recovery time and pain are a function of joint complexity, innervation and joint function. If you look at a diagram of the shoulder, you'll be amazed at all the stuff packed into a small space that has to articulate as well as rotate in multiple planes. Knee is complex in a different way - multiple bearing surfaces that have to perfectly line up (like a double rifle) and both articulate and rotate. Both knee and shoulder have exquisite inputs for spatial positioning so innervated appropriately.

Hip is just a big ball and socket.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Doesn't hurt that the hip was the fierst joint ever to be replaced and it has gone through the trial and error process for decades now.

I have even replaced hips in minature horses.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane
I bet me and you could to the hip for Bailey in your office at with know problem and we could save him a lot of money too. Big Grin rotflmo rotflmo he has been accused of having Labrador retriever blood anyway jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you guys taking your medication?? Wink

My Dad, tough ole sum bitch that he was, used to get cortisone shots in his knees at horse shows from the show vet. Standing on your feet all day at horse shows, working on 15+ head of crazy as hell Arab show horses has a way of stressing your joints. Before he passed away, his knees were so bad I could hear them when he walked. Not a word of complaint from him.

Not that I don't think Lane and Don would do a fine job on my hips, I think I will opt for the human DR. to perform teh operation.

Lane,

Do you know Randal Spencer? My local vet here in Gilmer.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeep!!!! just opened a new quart last night rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know Randal Spencer? My local vet here in Gilmer.

No sir...not formally anyway.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
When I had hip replacement I felt great the first day after surgery. I walked up and down the hospital hallway with no pain - then the second day was horrible - I suppose the meds had worn off then.

I went home the third day and by the end of a week was working on computer in my home and walking with a walker.

I was home 3 weeks and then started driving again. It took about 2 months to transition through the walker to a cane and then no aid.

It took about 4 months to walk normally and 7 months to feel like new again. As others have said - best thing I ever did and wish I had done it 3 years earlier.

The key to a full recovery is to do the exercises and the therapy.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey
See all the input you get over 2 worn out hips.
Just wait and see the reaction when they see those new falling block big bores.
Good Luck
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bailey,
I gave your wife my phone number at DSC. If Peggy and I can be of any help just call while you are in Houston.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck get well soon. Get some good floor mats for the shop. When I was 19 and standing at the polishing stand for long days my hips and knees would hurt. They make clean up harder but save you a lot of wear and tear.
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, let those prayers loose. We are off to see the wizard, scheduled for tomorrow AM.

"Gentleman.....we can rebuild him..." Modern medicine is incredible!

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,

Hmmm. Can't really wish you to break a leg in this case. So just tough it out and expect you'll do fine.

Haven't gotten that action off to be engraved yet. Will do it when I return from Sudan. Imagine you'll be jogging by then (early Feb)...

Very Best Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

And unlike what I usually do - Follow the Doctor and therapists followup instructions.

What do they know anyhow???

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will get lots of CAD and design work complete that is way overdue.

Bailey, I think that laying in a hospital bed playing around with the kids' Etch-A-Sketch hardly constitutes a CAD/CAM engineering session!!!! Get well soon...Biebs

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Get well soon Bailey, I enjoyed looking at your incredible rifles at DSC. Not many smiths can do it all as well as you.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get well soon my friend, our prayers are with you and wishes of a speedy recovery! We are all blessed to have you in our lives.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bailey, can you pm me your hospital info and contact number. I'd like to come pay a visit at hospital when you're up for visitors. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You have been added to my prayer list Bailey. I really enjoy your work & your posts.

Yes taking care of the joints is so critical. I did a knee as a 18 year old and suffered for 20 years until arthroscopy cleaned it up. But the uneven pressure made my hip & ankle sore and the back....as you say. Then last year by accident I found a big relief when training on a Bisu ball (half a Swiss ball). I started trying to walk and jog on the ball and it was a big task to keep balance. But the result was that after about 3 weeks my hip & ankle came right after more than 20 years, though it is still a bit sore. The jogging & balancing on the ball for 15 minutes a day just forces all the joints and muscles to work together in harmony and also keep balance on the ball.

Take care & wish you a speedy recovery.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Quit goldbricking, shipmate! You've got a lot of "turning to.." yet!! Wink

CHIEF

(Its a Navy thing...)

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and a speedy recovery Bailey. I can't wait to get my hands on that recently ordered .500 NE.

Jeremy Rieger

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guy's
In case you dont know our friend Bailey Bradshaw served in the navy.
After observing those big REAL BIG guns on those war ships this gave him the inspiration to build BIG BORE falling block doubles.
Bailey how do we plug the electric in to work the the block action. Oh just another minor thing to solve when you are recovering.
See ya
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those prayers let loose. Get well soon.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote