THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    HEYM / Buffalo down under / Video and Photos added
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HEYM / Buffalo down under / Video and Photos added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
For a change of pace, here is one James took with a 44 mag. Great first shot through the top of the heart. Recovered bullet is Swift 300gr A-Frame.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chris,

Where was that bullet recovered? I see the nose deformed just curious on how far past the heart did it go.

James once again congrats on a beautiful buff!

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
James recovered the bullet. He can tell you where exactly it was found.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seasons44:
Hey Chris,

Where was that bullet recovered? I see the nose deformed just curious on how far past the heart did it go.

The bullet was recovered on the off side ribs.

A fantastic experience to engage a big buffalo with a pistol. This particular hunt was one of the highlights of my trip to Arnhem Land. The stalk was intense, time consuming, and tested our patience.

Another photo of the bull taken with the handgun.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
On the last day of the hunt, I was hunting with Chris (New_Guy) and he shot a really nice, wide bull. As we were leaving the area Graham pointed to a bull standing to our left a ways out. I was already snapping photos of the bull when Graham indicated that we should try for him. We immediately began a stalk but the old cow standing behind the bull in the photo was crafty and would have nothing to do with our efforts. She took off, bull in tow, like a rocket and that was the last we saw of him.

As you can see from the photo, he is a tremendous bull. This big buffalo will be in my thoughts over the next year as we look towards the 2nd Annual Heym Buffalo Down Under event in 2015.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep that is a really nice bull.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Yep that is a really nice bull.

How wide do you think that one is, Sam?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Harry Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari James:
Here's another photo of the 577NE that shows off the case colors.

Hi James,
I do like your gun belt. It looks to be the type used by the Rhodesian culling guys. Are they still on the market?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari James:
quote:
Originally posted by Seasons44:
Hey Chris,

The bullet was recovered on the off side ribs.

A fantastic experience to engage a big buffalo with a pistol. This particular hunt was one of the highlights of my trip to Arnhem Land. The stalk was intense, time consuming, and tested our patience.

Another photo of the bull taken with the handgun.

That's awesome, nice work.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Certainly a great option with the falling Aus$ tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris

That 450-400 of yours is one good looking, well balanced double and you handle it well in the video's. Anytime you want to post pic's of it go right ahead.

What weight did she come in at? It look's light as a feather in your hands but with very little recoil.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a hell of a hunt. I take it there were no crocs in the creek.

Posts: 5027 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Superb photos. Great read.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9907 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
G'day mates! Just landed in Darwin from Arnhem Land and finishing our inaugural HEYM buffalo down under event.

Six hunters, seven days and thirty buffalo taken with HEYM doubles. Calibers from 375 Fl Mag to 577.

LOTS of photos and some great video to follow... standby.

do you make your jumbo 577-600 with greener cross bolt??

MR.MASKAYEV

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MR.MASKAYEV:
------
do you make your jumbo 577-600 with greener cross bolt??

The Jumbo is not a Greener cross bolt-----"Triple lock-up, with double lugs and Purdey-style hidden bite."

The 88B in all frame sizes (including 577) is a cross bolt----"Triple lock-up, with double lugs and Greener cross-bolt"

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
That 577 is a thing of beauty!!! Excellent post Congrats!!!

Posts: 2332 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Morten - I'm waiting on the exact dates from Graham now and yes, a HEYM is required

Graham also has a good area for Banteng. This photo was from the hunt prior to ours. I don't know the hunter, so his face was removed from the photo by me.

Hunting those Banteng would be awesome with that lovely little 375F of yours, heck,one with a 577NE would too. tu2

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I ask this in all sincerity with no intent to start a brouhaha . . . what exactly is the appeal of hunting a banteng? Is it where they are hunted, the wariness of the animal, aggressiveness of the animal, toughness of the animal to bring down, rarity of the animal, other? They are clearly a sought after trophy, just trying to understand why that is the case since I am frankly not that familiar with them. Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21411 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I've thought the same thing. They clearly look more like domestic cattle, and with smaller horns than a water Buff. But then again, look at a Royal Duiker!

Posts: 20144 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Maybe like seladang, although seladang are very large and are forest dwellers generally so you can justify the appeal on that basis. Always wondered what made the banteng special.

Mike

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I dunno but I sure would like to hunt one... but that is just me.

I think the appeal goes back to their days as one of the wild bovine the British used to hunt back when the sun never set on the British empire.

Hunted with a British double, might make a fun hunt.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also would like to hunt one. I guess my approach is similar to a buffalo hunt but another animal. Something new and hence exciting. I like the shape of the horns too.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Banteng are a really great game animal, can be aggressive even when unwounded, I have been charged by Banteng 10 to one over Buffalo & hunted half as many, stopped most charges but got tossed early on, when I had less respect & used a under powdered rifle, hard to find a more beautiful Bovine than a Banteng, with his white socks, anal ring/patch & velvet like hair, he is the small cousin of the Gaur one of the largest meanest & most revered of old time Bovine hunters .

Restricted in range now days & it is amazing to be able to still hunt some thing like a Banteng in Australia, some thing impossible in it's home range in Asia

Some can be very Seladang/Gaur looking !

One of my hunters Gaur looking models

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that feedback. Just not an animal I am familiar with and I must confess to being guilty of "judging a book by its cover". Just looking at pictures they appear very cow-like. I knew there had to be more to the story.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Just four points to the hunt of Banteng;
Where we hunt the Banteng it is a unique hunt. A classic bush camp and hunting on foot direct from the camp with minimal vehicle use.
A hunt particularly ideal for an open sighted double rife use.
Banteng are a beautiful and unique big game animal.
Banteng take you to a unique land to hunt them.