THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    HEYM / Buffalo down under / Video and Photos added
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HEYM / Buffalo down under / Video and Photos added
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments... This is a great hunt for double rifles!

This was my best "trophy" bull. Lots of mass on this old guy. I was really surprised that his condition was as good as it was after seeing his teeth. They were literally worn down to nubs.

Another shot of the 375 Fl Mag.

577 & case colors!

This part always instills confidence...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Chris I noticed when Michael and I went two years ago the teeth of most of the old bulls were ground down to where they had root holes showing. All that grit on the grass must wear them out fast. I guess this would put them in a bad mood sometimes. You guys really killed some beautiful wide bills. I like wide.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Nice Job in getting it done guys!!! clap

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sam. The trophy quality Graham has is really good. He would probably say that was a result of having managed the off-take for so long. After seeing his focus on taking old bulls almost exclusively, I would tend to agree.

We passed up a lot of bulls with "sharp tips" because he felt those were too young - good genes, but still young. As a result, what we usually gave up in horn length, we picked back up in mass.

I've not hunted the swampy parts of Australia, but I understand those bulls generally get less wear on their tips resulting in longer horns with higher scores. I've also been told that those wet areas are l-o-n-g on mozzies too. I'm pleased to say that I can't recall seeing a mozzie the whole time we were there!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That photo of the 577 is beautiful. That gun really turned out nice.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Superb report, great photography and videos and some excellent doubles. Looks like a fantastic time was had by all.

Well done and congratulations.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW what fine trophies and rifles!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good time was had by all. Definitely something to put on the bucket list. Congrats to the team.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Great report, thanks for sharing the photos, videos, stories, and details of your hunt guys!

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris is that 375 the one James had made for his daughter? I just noticed the scope! LOL

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the compliments everyone... it really was a great time. More photos and video coming.

It's different than Africa, but a good, different. One can't really replace the other, but they certainly do compliment each other.

Don't overlook Australia as a great hunting destination. What it lacks in the depth of species, it more than makes up for with the volume of buffalo!

What will become the - now - second annual HEYM / Buffalo Down Under event is already on the calendar for '15. We plan to add more hunting spots too.

Doug - good eye, but this is actually a different 375 than the one James got for his daughter, but I think James has another cat hunt in mind with you... wait until you see what he shows up with next! tu2

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness Tony wasn't resorting to being "Bolt Trash" by using his lever gun! Big Grin

Looks like a great time was had by all. Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Thank goodness Tony wasn't resorting to being "Bolt Trash" by using his lever gun! Big Grin

Looks like a great time was had by all. Thanks for sharing!

Rusty I second that!

Chris, looks like you guys had a very good hunt with Graham! I love the area where the camp was set up.

GOOD SHOW GENTLEMEN! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
An old scrub bull that was sporting a large tumor on his side and another on his face (left side in photo) and a broken horn. He was an old bull that had seen better days and was suffering.

With all that said, he was still very switched on and we had a wonderful stalk to get within 110 yards. Once he turned broadside, I settled the front bead and squeezed off a 750gr Woodleigh round nosed soft out of the Heym 577NE into his shoulder and that was that.

Shot placement on the scrub bull

A beautiful area we crossed while stalking the scrub bull.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

He was walking a very fine line... Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Typical start to the day... early morning water crossing.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody awesome, fellows! Seeing this is really making me miss my double! It's been away getting repaired, but is in the shop waiting for me in Katherine! I'll pick it up next weekend, and then it'll back into the bush!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Well ain't that a kick in the head! Congrats to all on some fine memories...and I like the wood on that 375FL, too! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The inevitable...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I am also back from the Land Down Under.

This was a most excellent trip for me, I was there a month and a half, and when I get caught up here at home I have some things to post.

This was one of the most fun hunts/trips I have ever done.

But first, I have to recover from the BIG FIGHT.
My Visa had expired and it took 12 BIG Aussies to get me on the plane for home.... Big Grin

But I have a surprise for them, I am going back next year. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that you made it back home.

I can say without a doubt that you put your stamp on the Heym Buffalo Down Under event. I truly enjoyed every second of my time hunting with you.

Can't wait to hear how the rest of your stay went after we departed for home.

Tres Amigos Down Under

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
A pair of 500gr Barnes TSX recovered.

One of many recovered 577 "portobello mushroom" Woodleighs. These things are HUGE!

HEYM 375Fl & 577... Wish I'd been there for this shootout.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
This is a picture to show how thick the hide is on these buffalo. I'm not sure I have ever seen a tougher skin to cut with a knife.

Knives of Arnhem Land. For reference, the knife at the top of the stack has an overall length of 14 1/8" and a blade length of 9 1/4". The blade width is 1 3/4". These knives are handcrafted by a friend of Graeham's and are high quality cutting instruments to say the least. The top five knives sport damascus blades. The bone handles are made from camel bone and the other two with horn handles are from Sambar deer.

Along with a flat tire that Chris posted earlier we also had a bent tie rod that had to be dealt with. Before the "photo police" cry foul on unsafe practices… let me assure everyone that the left rear wheel was chocked along with the right front wheel. The left front wheel was immobilized against a rock. So, the vehicle was going to roll forward unless we had some serious seismic activity.

Gotta give it to Graeham and his bush ingenuity. He really knows how to deal with issues in a craft way. This particular issue was solved by lashing the bent tie rod to a tree with rope and gently reversing the vehicle to straighten the tie rod. Good as new.

The landscape was covered in termite mounds. I found this once interesting as we passed by during the early morning mist.

One of my favorite pictures I snapped during the trip was this early morning landscape.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
One day we also bent the stearing stabilizer, it looks like a shockasorber.

We could turn left, but not right. shocker

Graham took it off the Land Rover and we hammered the piston rod back straight, reinstalled it and drove away...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks James,

I really enjoyed hunting with you guys. One of the great things about this trip is that you not only get to hunt and shoot your own buffalo, but you get to be up close when your buddies hunt and shoot theirs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this awesome report !

I guess you have to bring a Heym to join this party ? Wink Then, would a 9,3x74R do the job ?

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...great Storys and photos.
Thank you for share.

Best wishes.

B.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:

I guess you have to bring a Heym to join this party ? Wink Then, would a 9,3x74R do the job ?

Morten

tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:

Morten

Morten: A 9.3 x 74R would be an excellent choice.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari James:
quote:

Morten

Morten: A 9.3 x 74R would be an excellent choice.

Thanks James. I am waiting for a 450 NE Verney Carron, but that would probably lead to a red card as we say in Norway Wink

Any plans for a new hunt ? What could be expected with regard to cost of such a hunt ?

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Morten - I'm waiting on the exact dates from Graham now and yes, a HEYM is required Wink

Speaking of 450 NE. Here is a bull of Matt's taken with a HEYM 450.

Graham also has a good area for Banteng. This photo was from the hunt prior to ours. I don't know the hunter, so his face was removed from the photo by me.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
This is a very "photogenic" rifle...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous looking rifle and the sunlight really brings out the figure in the stock.

Great photos

Thanks, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Here's another photo of the 577NE that shows off the case colors.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very photogenic rifle for sure and good camera too. That is a beautiful rifle.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The brass look like shotgun hulls...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James that rifle is photogenic, you take pictures of it like it was one of your kids! One question, why would the picture be taken with the gun on your back! dancing

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
James that rifle is photogenic, you take pictures of it like it was one of your kids! One question, why would the picture be taken with the gun on your back! dancing

Okay, that was funny. Yes, I do take a lot of photos of my rifles. Hmmmm, perhaps the therapy available for this condition is buying ugly rifles?

I'll bring the new "H-project" up to your place for another cat or two and you'll be posing with that rifle when it's all said and done! Eeker

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
I posted on this thread once already, but allow me to post again -

- clearly a fantastic, fun hunt with lots of bulls
- superb photography of game hunted and landscapes
- excellent advertising for Heym

Superb alround !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari James:
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:

Okay, that was funny. Yes, I do take a lot of photos of my rifles. Hmmmm, perhaps the therapy available for this condition is buying ugly rifles?

I'll bring the new "H-project" up to your place for another cat or two and you'll be posing with that rifle when it's all said and done! Eeker

Keep on posting those gun photos James. They are awesome.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0