THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    HEYM / Buffalo down under / Video and Photos added
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HEYM / Buffalo down under / Video and Photos added
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
G'day mates! Just landed in Darwin from Arnhem Land and finishing our inaugural HEYM buffalo down under event.

Six hunters, seven days and thirty buffalo taken with HEYM doubles. Calibers from 375 Fl Mag to 577.

LOTS of photos and some great video to follow... standby.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thirty buffalo... Gotta go on one of them adventures!

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted Hide Post
dancing cant wait to se the pictures and video, did not bring a 600NE? to bad.
did you guys use a 500NE? dont think i have ever seen a video where someone hunted and with one. i have a 500NE.. but havent taken anything with it yet.

btw du you work for Heym? and who paid for the buffalo?

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

Posts: 39 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris,

That's sure to be a great collection of footage!!!!!!

jumping jumping

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro_Andreas:
dancing cant wait to se the pictures and video, did not bring a 600NE? to bad.
did you guys use a 500NE? dont think i have ever seen a video where someone hunted and with one. i have a 500NE.. but havent taken anything with it yet.

btw du you work for Heym? and who paid for the buffalo?

No 600NE but I did take 9 bulls with my Heym 577NE. Four of the 9 bulls were taken between 91 and 120 yards, open sights. I think my closest shot with my 577NE was roughly 30 yards. Others had closer shots.

New_Guy will be posting pics and videos. We took our time with photos and shot lots of video.

Epic trip with a great group of hunters.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait!!!!!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone that replied to Safari James' plea for ammo.

Fortunately, we found 404 and 450/400 at Lacky's the day before we chartered out to Bulman!

The ammo did finally show up in Darwin, and the charter company sent it out on another flight two days later.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Chartering into Bulman... Glad there was a fence around the landing strip!

The hunting party.

From left to right... Graham Williams (Australian Buffalo Hunters,) Matt, Marc, Jim, James and me (Tony is out of photo.)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Man! Talk about a plush airstrip in the bush!

.................................................................... beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The landing strip is located inside of Graham's hunting area, and the camp is about an hour and a half. Not 15-minutes into the drive, we spot a very old bull. We drove past him and quickly scrambled through a truck load of luggage for a rifle and ammo. The wind was good and we were able to intercept his path within a quarter-mile or so.

This is the 450/400 with the 400gr DGX.
(If you find this file to be too large, let me know, and I'll shorten the next ones.)

The first shot broke his on-side shoulder and anchored him pretty well. The bullet was found under the off-side skin.

This old bull was just under 48" wide.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of recovered bullets from this trip, and they will hopefully provide info for double rifle readers here.

We shot:

Swifts
Hornady DGX
NF Cup Points
NF Solids
Woodleigh Softs
Woodleigh Hydrostatically stabilized
Barnes X
CEB

Will start gathering those photos for the thread.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bull! Congratulations on a fine adventure!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did take 9 bulls with my Heym 577NE.

Long live the 577!!! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Any wild Boar shot or fishing done whilst at Graham's inland block?

We shot three... Will post the photos, but I didn't get the impression that there were too many pigs there. Maybe we were too focused on buffalo???

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
404 Jeffery, 400gr DGX recovered from buffalo at @ 140-yards.

364gr recovered weight

450/400 3", 400gr DGX bullets. All recovered from Buffalo @ less than 50-yards (don't recall the exact distance on each of these.)

302gr recovered weight

254gr recovered weight

305gr recovered weight

450/400 3", 400gr Swift A-Frame. Recovered from buffalo @ 20-yards.

354gr recovered weight. This bullet went in behind the ribs, through the off-side shoulder and was found under the off-side skin.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
This was the second buffalo shot with the 450/400. Video to follow.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris,

great Story and Infos.
Congratulations to this great adventure.

QUESTION
Who is this gentleman on your side?
Witch kind of gun/caliber did he have?

Best wishes.

F.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Chris! I see Tony taught you to put the empties in your pocket! LOL!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bockhunter:
Hi Chris,

great Story and Infos.
Congratulations to this great adventure.

QUESTION
Who is this gentleman on your side?
Witch kind of gun/caliber did he have?

Best wishes.

F.

Bockhunter: The gentleman on Chris' right is the guide/outfitter, Graham Williams (Australian Buffalo Hunters). The rifle he is holding is my Heym 577NE double rifle.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buffalo, both of them. Chris that reject wood turned out pretty nice too.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bockhunter: The gentleman on Chris' right is the guide/outfitter, Graham Williams (Australian Buffalo Hunters). The rifle he is holding is my Heym 577NE double rifle.

Okay...
:-)

I tought in the first Moment, where in the world did he get this rifle in down under.

Did he shoot it?
:-)

Best wishes.

The Bock.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Another a "wide, flat" one. This one a bit wider than the first. He measured just shy of 50", and that was with the heavily worn horn being about 4" shorter than the long one. A great old bull.

I'll get this video online ASAP. With a strong wind, we were able to get within about 15-yards of him! Great video work, James.

This was the widest bull we shot... at about noon on the last day.

We were moving along a creek when we spotted this bull coming up from a fresh mud bath. We could only see one horn (the short one), but we knew there was enough visble mass and wear on that one horn to give him a closer look.

You may be able to hear the wind in the video. It was strong, straight in our faces and big help in stalking up on this one.

We didn't get a good look at the other horn until just before I shot, but based on the wear, we had already decided to take him.

The first shot is a 400gr Swift... in behind the shoulder, through the vitals and stopped in the off-side skin after breaking the leg.

Notice on the second shot, that the bull swings his horn around in front of his shoulder... that bullet was a 400gr NF cup point. It went through his right horn and continued through the bull exiting on the opposite side!

The two follow up shots (quartering away) and the final shot in the chest were also cup points. We were not able to recover any of those.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
This is the first buffalo I took with my Heym 577NE on the first evening of the hunt. If you enlarge the picture you will see a nice group behind the shoulder which was shot at roughly 75 yards. The high shot you see actually dropped him as it disrupted his CNS.

This is the second bull I shot during the trip. This particular bull was in a ravine and we stalked him until he caught our wind and then ran. We watched him run up the hill on the other side of the ravine and we lost him in the brush. As luck would have it the he ran into a position with the wind in our favor and we slowly made the stalk to within 60 or so yards. I dropped him off-hand with a single shot from the 577NE. He did require a finishing shot to the brain as you can see in the picture.

This is a really nice cow buffalo that Graeham (PH/Outfitter) wanted me to take. I was able to stalk within 30 yards and land a well placed shot on her shoulder with the 577NE. Upon impact she bolted straight ahead for a ravine and I hit her with the follow up shot at a full run and she went down in a heap of dust. I'll post the video once I am able to sort all of the digital artifacts from the trip.

Prior to the trip our good friend Marc assisted me in dialing in a load for the 577NE and this was the result…. Effectively a 1" group at 100 yards with open sights using 750gr Woodleigh RN softs.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to hear the rest of the stories. It looks like that 577 is finally really broken in.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
One of Marc's first cull bulls. Taken with his HEYM 450 NE and Swift A-Frames + Woodleigh Hydrostatic solids.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trip guys, keep the photos and videos coming!

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
...It looks like that 577 is finally really broken in.

Guess how many rounds of ammo he brought home...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You blokes sure had a great time! Very happy for you. Congratulations.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos and good shooting.

Glad you had a great hunt.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Great story on this buffalo.

Marc and I had spent the morning putting a number of miles under our boot soles when we spotted a group of bulls off to our right grazing on fresh grass sprouts. I quickly glassed the bulls and didn't see anything I liked so I turned my attention in the opposite direction. To my surprise there was a decent bull feeding along at about 70 yards. While glassing him I noticed another bull further out sleeping in the shade of a large tree. About this time the PH said he wasn't interested in any of the bulls located in the group on the right. Trying to not sound like a smart ass, I asked him what he thought about the monster sleeping under the tree to our left.

Ranging the bull revealed he was 141 yards form our position. Since he was sleeping and we had the wind in our favor we decided to see if we could slip in a little closer. We carefully stalked within 91 yards of the sleeping bull before the other bull that I mentioned began trotting in his direction and of course startling him out of dream land.

I quickly took a good bead with the 577NE and touched off a well placed shot followed by a second barrel. The bull ran a bit, stopped, and started walking broadside at roughly 105 yards. I put two more rounds into a 3" group and a few inches forward of the first shot. He stumbled a bit and then went down.

A very rewarding hunt.

Here's a frontal view of the same bull.

Aiming in on a buffalo with the 577NE. I ended up passing on this one.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look like all of you guys had a great hunt. Doing it with doubles makes it even better. That's a mighty pretty 577.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Lots of very nice HORNS!!!!!!!!!!

jumping jumping

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, impressive the size of those holes, they sure leak a lot of fluids huh?
Some of the pics didn't come up for me. The vids did and when clicking a picture, flipped to the FB section so I got to see a bunch there.
Nice seeing all the holes punched and them still going. Mighty fine shooting for those cannons too. Those shells on the bench look like they stack up like good cigars too.

How much ammo did you take and how many came home?
Thanks much for sharing with us. Sure helps a lot as a couple of us are hoping to go next year.

Was it one of you guys that took the handgun? IF so, how much hassle did you have getting it there??
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
...It looks like that 577 is finally really broken in.

Guess how many rounds of ammo he brought home...

Trick question right! Ha Ha Ha

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda wondering what was done with the meat. Have had seen some hunts where the locals got it, but others, where we were told they'd just be left there for the scavengers to take care of..

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, this was a HEYM hunt, and I told him I wouldn't post this clip. Wink

But Tony just had to bring his 405 "Big Medicine," and he shot it so well that I figured I had to post it after all...

Damn good shooting Tony!

This old bull had apparently been attacked by dingos as a calf. His ears were completely gone, and his nose and roof of mouth were badly mangled. Maybe this stundted the growth of his horns? Who knows, but he was an old bull with a narrow horn shape.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Graham Williams

We took a couple of scrub bulls too. I was impressed, as they were pretty "switched-on."

On the way out of camp one morning, the first group spotted this bull, and Marc got it with his 375 flanged. We were close enough behind to watch the whole hunt unfold. I love the wood on that rifle. tu2

Engraved muzzles are a nice touch. Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
MARVELOUS REPORT CONGRATULATIONS.I wish you came to Argentina just to test this beautifull rifles Frowner

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
As a change of pace from the hunting pictures, here's a view of our buffalo camp situated along a nice river. Adequate accommodations for the group.

This was the view from my tent. It was relaxing to enjoy a cup of coffee while overlooking the river each morning listening to the sounds as everyone was scurrying around getting ready for the days activities.

Tony made up some biltong from the buffalo and it turned out to be an excellent snack. Almost thought I was back in Africa.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the wonderful photographs of your adventure. Absolutely superb.