THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Verney Carron .577 Range Report Partie Deux
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verney Carron .577 Range Report Partie Deux
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Here is a target from today's trip to the range. Used handloads today, 119 grains of RL15, F215M, 750 grain Woodleigh Soft Nose, 2 grains of Dacron. Might back off a grain or two to try and get closer to 2050 fps, but otherwise this load seems to work fine.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Excellent! tu2
All four of the Verney-Carron doubles I have owned including the 2 in 600NE, were extremely accurate with a variety of different loads, powders and bullets.

Looks like you can't gow wrong with yours either. I wouldn't change a thing ... beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great shooting!
Awesome gun Smiler
This thread could use some gun pics Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank God it wasn't a hangfire, or doubled on you. So, that is probably rather brisk igniting 119 gr. R15. Do you think down a couple gr. or maybe up a couple gr. How about the felt difference in firing this compared to the .500.
Kidd
That,s pretty good at a hundred yds. dancing
That must of been a pretty good left to right wind also.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting!

What brass are u using?? have u tried foam instead of the dacron?

I'M very interested in your range reports as Ken says my new VC 577 will be here in a few weeks.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
100 yards? I cannot even see 100 yards.

I am using Jamison brass. I have ordered some of the Kynoch #3 foam wads from Trader Keith but have not gotten them yet, hence using the Dacron. The recoil is noticeably more than a .500, but certainly controlable and not overly offensive. I will say that after about 8 - 10 rounds I am ready to put it back in the case until next time.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Mike, perhaps I missed something. At what distance?

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
50 yards off of sticks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting and a nice rifle that shoots great.
I am envious.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
50 yards off of sticks.

Dang, as we use to say while fishing offshore "pretty work"! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike, well done. Those doubles do get addicting...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
After about eight rounds my addiction is well satiated.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Nice group hunter Jines.

Will you attempt to adjust the sights to move the grouping to the left, or do you just leave well enough alone?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Good shooting! I noticed that Jeff's Outfitters is closing out ten round leather cartridge belts for .577 only, for $49. I have one of these for my 400 and they are fairly nice.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike, I noticed you switched to RL-15. Did that make a difference for you?

Todd

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lee, thanks for the lead.

Todd, the only other ammo I shot was the Kynoch. The RL15 made a little difference. Sort of like the difference between being hit by a Honda Civic versus a Honda Accord. Big Grin The rounds above 2100 fps are definitely sharper. I think dropping back to 117 or 118 grains will get me under 2100 fps (between 2000 and 2050 fps is where I would like to to be).

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Will, I am half inclined to leave well enough alone. It would not take much to tap the rear sight to the left, but I sort of feel like, what's the point.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent shooting with a true big bore. My 2 cents worth. I know that "the" RL 15 recipe is 1.15 x cordite. I have been happy with 1.10 x cordite most of the time, especially with solids. With the 577 you are starting off with PLENTY horse power. Working up to just enough to get the barrels to come together will be all you need and then a pinch more.

Wonderful rifle you have there.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ernie, in Graeme Wright's book he indicates the RL15/Cordite ratio was 1.19X. That is how I got the 119 grains of RL15 (100 grain Cordite original load). I feel I am real close to where I want to be, if 2000-2050 fps with a 750 grain bullet will not get the job done, the only thing left is prayer.

Mike

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a target from today's trip to the range. Used handloads today, 119 grains of RL15, F215M, 750 grain Woodleigh Soft Nose, 2 grains of Dacron. Might back off a grain or two to try and get closer to 2050 fps, but otherwise this load seems to work fine.

Well now that you are shooting a real double rifle, and are overloaded with double rifles chambered for 500NE, I think you need a small companion double for the 577NE to shoot plains game with! A 470NE would be a nice light rifle to take along with your big rifle to shoot things like impala! So I'll trade you a 470NE Merkel for your 500NE Merkel that is too big for plains game! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 107 grs and use it for practice as recoil is less and still regulates well. Use your full house load for hunting.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Damn fine shooting.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8-10 rounds from a .577 enough? Hell, 8 rounds from a .500NE at one time is enough for me; and I like recoil.

Great shooting,

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come help Michael and I sometime! We have shot 60 rds of 470 in one test session. I think I shot my 577 close to 20 times one day after shooting other big bores all day.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If I did that I would be speaking in tongues by the end of the day. Shooting the .577 is like drinking a fine scotch, it is to be enjoyed slowly, a sip or two at a time. Cool

Mike

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I did that I would be speaking in tongues by the end of the day. Shooting the .577 is like drinking a fine scotch, it is to be enjoyed slowly, a sip or two at a time. Cool

My advice is to combine the two and see how many shots of each you make before one or the other leads to unconciousness. beer

I think you are psyching yourself out - it ain't all that bad and I bet it didn't hurt one bit ...

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

My advice is to combine the two and see how many shots of each you make before one or the other leads to unconciousness. beer

I think you are psyching yourself out - it ain't all that bad and I bet it didn't hurt one bit ...

Great advice on combining the two. If I was to shoot 60 rounds of .500NE in one day, I'd have to be drunkkkkk!

Now I know where all those figures from Michael and SRose are coming from; they're blixted and still shooting! Who really knows what the stats are for all those rounds.

It's kinda like what my wife calls conversation after I've had a few too many Scotches.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

Great advice on combining the two. If I was to shoot 60 rounds of .500NE in one day, I'd have to be drunkkkkk!

Now I know where all those figures from Michael and SRose are coming from; they're blixted and still shooting! Who really knows what the stats are for all those rounds.

It's kinda like what my wife calls conversation after I've had a few too many Scotches.

Mike

You have "conversations" with your wife?

After 30 years of being together, 25 of them married, I know to simply say "Yes dear". No idea what she is saying - all I hear reminds me of the teachers from a Charlie Brown cartoon ...

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG, Mike.

I have some foam plugs from Kynoch for 500-700. You are welcome to them.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Damn fine shooting. Those VCs are beautiful rifles, only new DR I would buy, tremendous value.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote