THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    why is Gray's book so popular?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why is Gray's book so popular?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just read on the Wright thread that the Gray books were bringing about $800. I just did several checks on th enet and found that to be true. I have a copy in as close to perfect as a used book can be. It is in such good shape becuase I never thought much of it and doubt if I even finished it. She has been on a shelf since th elate '90's. Thank God I didn't throw it away when I moved a few weeks ago?

So why do people love that book so much?

And does anyone want to buy a really great copy? Seriously.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it seems to be the first ( and maybe only ) book that details all about how a double rifle is built, regulated, etc.

since it is long out of print guys like you are the only source of supply.

those priced at $700 - $800 seem to have been there quite a long time.

if you put a price on yours you just may sell it.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

a well trained machinist/tool&die maker with a good shop could just about build a DR using that book.
Plus a short run, not reprinted.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i say put it on a cd and sell them for $20 and you can make the $800 and keep the book...i am sure you could sell some here.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy in new condition. The first $700 and postage can have it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I have a copy in new condition.

Yep, that's normal. They were all lightly thumbed, just once, and put on the shelf. Wink
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

you should be willing to include shipping for that kind of money!! clap

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich!

For you I will!

dancing

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of the appeal is that it is one of the few books out there devoted to double rifles. The other appeal, as Rich pointed out, is that it is a good technical manual on function. Not a light read by any means.

$800 is a bit steep in my opinion. Someone must be getting those dollars, though, from the listings I have seen.

For the non machinists in the group, a much better book is "Amateur Gunsmithing" by Mills & Barnes. It is the only resource I have come across that shows you how to take apart and reassemble both a boxlock and sidelock. Not that you would undertake that task in the ordinary course, but it is good to kknow if you are ever in a place where a good double smith is not available, or if you are a smith with the right tools and patience.

The Mills and Barnes book is starting to creep up in price as well. Abebooks lists a few for $400 or $500.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Des Mills book too and would sell it for $500, that's for sure! I have read that many times though, as opposed to the Gray book. I think it does a great job of expalining the side lock and boxlock to a rank amateur. It blows my mind that those books have gone up so much.

Well, If I sell it, the Gray book is a hell of a return on my investment. I was over at a firends house one taim about 9-10 years ago looking at a firend's library, and he said when he read the fisrt few pages and was not what he thought it would be when he bought it. He stuck it out and said to take it if I wanted it. If soemone would have come and looked at my books yesterday afternoon, I might would have done the same thing! Or at least told them to keep it as long as they wanted, just remeebr where he got it from.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of Grey's book, and it is absolutely NEW condition, but not because I haven't read it. I have books that are 40 yrs old that are in NEW condition, that have been read many, many times.

A lot of books have come up drasticlly in price after they were out of print. One is the first printing of FROM MOUNT KENYA TO THE CAPE, by Bodington,about $300. Another is the first issue of the TROPHY ROOM BOOK. It is now selling in the $450-$500 range, maybe more. The Trophy room book publishers sent me a letter five years ago offering me $300 for my copy back. That soft cover is in mint condition as well, but none of them are for sale till I die,(which may not be long, once my wife finds out what my crap is worth!) Eeker, then my wife can sell them all for what ever the market will bear. The same goes for my gun collection, or she can go to Africa and use them on Elephant, and Buffalo! I'm sure she will sell them, and go to Paris instead! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The same goes for my gun collection, or she can go to Africa and use them on Elephant, and Buffalo! I'm sure she will sell them, and go to Paris instead! Big Grin

I notice you are not publishing your wife's contact information. However, I can help with getting around in Paris if needed. Do not worry, my wife will accompany me.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There is no need to publish Claire's contact information.

I have already spoken to her! Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hell, I won't have a need for it when I'm in the ground! Ain't many Cape Buffalo down there!
jumping jumping jumping

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am amazed that the Gray book is so priced. The only thing I learned from that limited little book was about the pre-war gun steels having lead content which makes them heavier for such thin barrels, and weaker.

I have all the books MacD37 mentioned in his posts and will go slip a note card in each with the appreciated price.

The trick will be in finding a greater fool than I to buy the collectible.

Keep it alive guys. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Are y'all talking about The Hammerless Double Rifle?

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
Are y'all talking about The Hammerless Double Rifle?

BINGO! that's the one! thumb

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Well crud...I may hafta put mine on the market then. clap

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I googled up a copy for sale for $1750. shocker

Good hunting,

Andy