THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    This Just In - New Arrival *** New Splinter Pictures Added *** Range Report Added
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Just In - New Arrival *** New Splinter Pictures Added *** Range Report Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
You got a preview of it awhile back. But I finally got it in my hands this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I hope to get to that later in the week.

Thanks again Ken for making a sweet deal for me on this bespoke VC. Thanks to Jerome for building exactly what I requested. I'm very happy with it. VC Round Body in 500NE with all the little goodies I specified, and it tips the scales right at 10.25 lbs.

Enjoy:

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

That's a beauty and just the right weight. The color case hardening is really nice. Congrats!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed.

You'll have some fun with that.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Truly magnificent Todd and they did a real good job on the CCH too! Congratulations, let us know how she shoots for you. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I hope it serves you well for decade after decade!
How about some OPEN action shots, and even dis-
assembled shots? (just so we can enjoy those de-
tails too!)
clap dancing clap dancing clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd

Quick question.

What made you go for CCH over a silver finish ?

Also, what is the barrel length you went with ?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nigel,

24" barrels. I went back and forth on the coin vs CCH finish. But what really made my mind up was Admiral Dave (Subsailor). He has this design that he's used several times now: CCH with maker's name and "SAFE" in gold inlay and leather recoil pad. I saw several of his guns designed that way and it just struck my fancy. The other goodies, in addition to the CCH, gold, and leather pad were, shadow line cheek piece, gold oval with initials, front trigger articulated, enhanced engraving, and splinter fore-end. This is VC's version of the splinter. I left off items that I've never found much use for such as additional leaves on the rear sight and flip up night sight.

DR, I'll try to get some additional pics later in the week when I get a chance to shoot it. I'm facing a 7 hour drive tonight to get to work so I'm done playing with it for the next few days. Frowner

Looking forward to blooding it proper in December with Buzz on a big Zambezi Bull Elephant!!

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Truely a stunning rifle Todd -well done!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Sweet Dude!!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Truely a stunning rifle Todd -well done!

Thanks to your design Admiral!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That looks nice! Now go and throw some lead down range and lets see how it works!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Todd

Quick question.

What made you go for CCH over a silver finish ?

Because it looks awesome!
Good for you Todd.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
Because it looks awesome!
Good for you Todd.

Goes without saying.

Todd,
Thanks, I think you got it right. Also agree in that calibre additional leaves are not required.

Enjoy !

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!
And functional - I like what you left off as well as those details you had incorporated.
Nice Todd, very nice! beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I really like what you have done with that riffle, the lay out is superb its classic. Its classic yet very original among most VC’s that I’ve seen. If I could pick any rifle it would be laid out just like that one, functional, simple and elegant. It’s pretty in all the right places, love those 24” tubes. Congratulations.

Kelly.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Todd:
VC never ceases to impress me.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Todd. I think VC has an issue if that's a splinter foreend. Love that rifle, hate that fore-end. Congrats on a beauty.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Todd! beer

Beautiful double in one of the best chamberings for hunting of dangerous game any place in the world!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheeeeeeit!! Todd that's purrrrrtty!!!

Enjoy that rifle...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Todd! Looks awesome.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Forgive my ignorance of how round-actions should look, but to me it's kinda funny-looking to have the whole receiver/bar left as the angle reinforce? I guess it saves machining and puts more weight between the hands.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sambarman

What do you mean exactly ?

It's not clear - to me anyway.

This bit,
"the whole receiver/bar left as the angle reinforce?"

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
sambarman

What do you mean exactly ?

It's not clear - to me anyway.

This bit,
"the whole receiver/bar left as the angle reinforce?"

I understand what he is asking Nigel.

This was asked back when I posted the very first pictures of a Round Body PH by VC from the 2012 SCI show. That rifle was purchased by Larry Shores. Ken was asked how the bar was reinforced since there is no moustache or visible reinforcement along side of the bar, along the water tables. Ken's answer was exactly as Sambarman described, in that the entire action is as wide as the typical reinforcement and is therefore stronger overall.

Some like the look, some don't. Sambarman doesn't. I do!! But as I mentioned back then, the picture doesn't do it justice as what really sold me on the round body action is the way it feels in the hand. With the roundness of the action in the hand, it certainly feels different from the standard type of action. If you get a chance at one of the shows, make sure to pick one up and you'll instantly know what I'm talking about. Anyone else out there with a round body action that can add to this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,
firstly congrats on the double, looks awesome !

I also have the Roundbody ejector, (also in .500), and agree with your comments above.

Originally I wasn't real keen on the look either but as you say, the "feel" and "carry" is very impressive.

To some people they may lack the traditional bolstered-action look.

Mine is slightly heavier than yours at 10.6 lbs but is a pleasure to shoot.
For some inexplicable reason it feels lighter than it weighs up on a scale, explain that to me !

Just now getting through regulating it and am enjoying shooting it and getting to know it.

I'm looking forward to taking this one to the feild this year !

Congrats again on a fine aquisition, I hope your shoots as well as mine does.

Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
These photos might show the thickness of the action compared to one in 470 with reinforced ribs;
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd's seems to have more steel below the Shoe lumps and around the breach?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd

Thanks.

It does look a bit different but IMHO
it is quite pleasing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Congrats on your new double. Very nicely done! I had the pleasure of handling the rOund body at REno and it does feel good "in the hand" I'm sure it will get it done in ZIm later this year!

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Truccolo:

Mine is slightly heavier than yours at 10.6 lbs but is a pleasure to shoot.
For some inexplicable reason it feels lighter than it weighs up on a scale, explain that to me !

Paul.

It means someone knows how to build a well balanced double rifle.

I have had a 500NE that felt a lot lighter
than it weighed and another one that felt
like you wee carrying a railway track even
though it weighed the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd; congratulations again on a very fine and nice rifle, I like the wood a lot especially the color, it contrasts very beautifully against the case coloring and the bluing on the rest of the gun. tu2

I have to admit though that I am not accustomed to the looks of the round receiver, but I think that it should feel and handle very nicely in the field.

May you have great many years of enjoyment out of it.

Best regard

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking gun Todd. Great caliber too!

Sam

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unlike your 577 now at Ken's, this one doesn't need to come with a wheel kit :-)

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking toy you ended up with. Purty! Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Nice looking toy you ended up with. Purty! Big Grin

Come on now Rick, surely you own me a couple of knocks for all the Blaser comments? lol

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
You're going to have some fun with that!!! Nice rifle!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments fellas. I really think VC did a great job on the rifle.

On the splinter comment, I have to agree somewhat. It really is more of a semi splinter IMO. Make no mistake however, it is significantly better than the beavertail that was on my 577, but yeah, it could still be smaller. I think it could be about 1/3 shorter and about 1/2 thinner, with it tapering from the action to the tip inorder to be a true splinter. Looking at several VC rifles, they have a bit of a theme I'm sure they don't want to move away from. Specifically, the lines of the action are maintained parallel all the way to the tip of the fore-end with no taper. It is a pleasing look, but not traditional in the "English" manner. Here is a picture of my VC 577 that demonstrates this better than I can describe it:

I was trying to think of a way to describe what I was referring to as the "feel" of the round body compared to a standard action. This is a bit crude speaking of fine rifles so forgive me for the reference to construction items, but when the rifle is carried by placing the action in the hand, it is similar to the difference between carrying a 2x4 (standard action) and a 2" dowel (round action). Probably not the best description but the best I can come up with for now.

No doubt, I'm a very satisfied customer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sir Mr Williams sir. I would not desperage someone else's play purty. (by posting barf)
something mean and ugly. I'm a nicer person than you are. Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I guess it saves machining and puts more weight between the hands.

Precisely. I would guess that the round body might be a smidge heavier than the bolstered design which, to my mind anyway, is a great way to start approaching the balance of the old brit rifles. What I find odd is that VC seems quite capable of a tapered splinter in their shotgun range but have yet to really try it with their bigger rifles. That said, even in the below rifle, I think the splinter could be shorter. I also want this wrist checkering!!!!

Now, all that said, I think this rifle of Todd's is just sweet looking. One word... WANT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply elegant.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

Unrelated PM sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I guess it saves machining and puts more weight between the hands.

Precisely. I would guess that the round body might be a smidge heavier than the bolstered design which, to my mind anyway, is a great way to start approaching the balance of the old brit rifles. What I find odd is that VC seems quite capable of a tapered splinter in their shotgun range but have yet to really try it with their bigger rifles. That said, even in the below rifle, I think the splinter could be shorter. I also want this wrist checkering!!!!

Now, all that said, I think this rifle of Todd's is just sweet looking. One word... WANT!

John, the camera angle on my pictures distorts it a bit with shadows, but the "splinter" on my rifle is identical to this shotgun's. The second picture down is pretty close to the angle of my pics and appears very similar, but the VC pics have no shadows. When I get back home, I'll try to photograph it at a better angle where the underside isn't shown at all, or with better light.