THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    This Just In - New Arrival *** New Splinter Pictures Added *** Range Report Added
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Just In - New Arrival *** New Splinter Pictures Added *** Range Report Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you jerked! Get a Blaser!!!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful buffalo medicine, there.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:

yuck Oh that will get Todd going!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Good point Malek. I would tend to shoot 50yards with a set of sticks, so yes, it's possible that might settle things out a bit. I should probably try the sticks at 25 as well, but I just haven't gotten that far along yet. As stated, I'm only taking 6 rounds of each variation so far. And that simply to give me the opportunity to verify my shooting should I flinch or whatever with one round that causes a flier.

I'll get around to the longer distances eventually. Certainly long before taking the rifle afield for hunting. I really do find doubles to be fascinating to work with. We used to say in the aviation community that putting a second engine on a plane doesn't double the complexity, it quadruples it!! I'm confident the same can be said for numbers of barrels on a rifle!!

Or even better bench it that is exactly what I did with my 470, I ended up challenging myself and shot it of the bench, because I wanted to find out how did my hand loads shoot.

Glad I did because the results were great, yet to be reported. Not sure if I should resurrect the old thread or creat a new one!

Sometimes also doubling the distant can have the same effect.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:

yuck Oh that will get Todd going!

You two are a couple of funny boys! Not too bright ... but funny!! Big Grin

BTW Rick, any word on when my reloading items are to arrive? I want to get back to insulting your taste in rifles (Blaser barf) but don't want to run the tab so high I can't afford a simple set of dies! Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My post had the intended results. And he knows I'm just spoofing him Dave. And No, Todd, there is no news on the rest of your equipment. Be patient, it will come when it does. You'll just have to bite your tongue for a while longer. jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
My post had the intended results. And he knows I'm just spoofing him Dave. And No, Todd, there is no news on the rest of your equipment. Be patient, it will come when it does. You'll just have to bite your tongue for a while longer. jumping

Biting my tongue. faint For now ... stir

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
So just a bit of an update here. After much work with various powders, loads, and bullet makes (and weights), the rifle just wouldn't consistently group better than 2.5 inches at 25 yards, and 5 to 6 inches at 50 yards.

Ken and I discussed it extensively and decided it needed to be looked at. With my upcoming ele hunt, we were reluctant to send it back to France. We opted for JJ to do the re-regulation work. The nice thing about this is that he was able to tune it to my personal handloads. For this, I chose the 570gr North Fork solids at 2,115fps.

Today was the second time I've had the opportunity to shoot it after getting it back. The first was my trip to the range with Jines and Rusty, but by the time I got to the 500, I was punch drunk from shooting Jines' 577NE, 500NE, as well as a host of other big boys.

So today was really the first time I've been able to shoot the rifle and see if the work was done correctly. I say it is spot on now per the targets below. Both were shot at 50 yards off of sticks. Bullets and speeds listed with the pics.

It was unfortunate that the rifle needed re-regulation, but I want to point out in the strongest way, that once we decided there was an issue, Ken Buch and VC got right on making it correct. They chose the best option for getting it straightened out and did it in a timely manner and stood behind their product 100%. Once again, I'm a very happy and satisfied customer and highly recommend them.

These were my last 4 shots of the day after I had the opportunity to settle in a bit and get re-acquainted with the rifle. 50 yards off of sticks. This target is 2 shots, R on R, L on L, 570gr North Fork solid at 2,115fps with 97grs of RL-15, Hornady brass and Fed 215 primers:

Then the same target with the next two shots added being 475gr CEB Non-Cons at 2,415fps, with tips installed, 110grs of RL-15, Hornady brass, and Fed 215 primers:

I'd say it's ready to go hunting now!

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Damn Todd that's some fine shooting.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd for sharing all this with us. Especially for me in my search for a double ! Your comments on " the extras " and the round body action are most interesting. Congrats - a beautiful rifle !

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1139 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No VC for me thanks! Five to six inches at 50yds??What kind of crap is that?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
That is some fine shooting Todd. You are in good shape for your upcoming hunt for nzo. The VC Imperial I ordered from Ken in 450 3 1/4 should be here in another couple of months. I can't wait to shoot it. I have already loaded a few rounds with load data I got from Jorge. Hopefully I will not have to go through what you did with your new VC, but if I do, I know Ken and VC will be there to make it right.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I would doubt very seriously that you'll have problems with it as I did. Just goes to show that problems can arise with any make but yeah, the main thing is that they back up their product. I think we would find that to be the case with all or most of the premier makers. No so much for Sabatti though evidently. Were it not for Cabelas, some guys would have been stuck.

Be sure and post some pics of the Imperial once you get it. How's the Bradshaw shooting?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, but of course, with a Blaser, you could select any one bullet hole on the target, and put an entire magazine full into that one hole :-)

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
No VC for me thanks!

Thank you George, saves me having to tell you I would not sell you one.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Nice, but of course, with a Blaser, you could select any one bullet hole on the target, and put an entire magazine full into that one hole :-)

Yeah, I hear you Biebs. But you must remember, I like women, I don't swing toward men like you Blaser shooters! barf

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Five to six inches at 50yds??What kind of crap is that?

Sounds like one of your standard targets to me George! That's what kind of crap that is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Todd. Glad they got it where it needs to be. You should be set. Did you finally get your remaining reloading equipment? If so, you may now go back into the closet and start badmouthing Blasers again.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I got it Rickster. Got home from work on Thursday this week and promptly put the check into the mail. It's no holds barred now!! flame

Hey, all kidding aside, thanks for finding all the reloading items. I installed the primer tube conversion a couple of weeks back and it finally turned the RCBS 2000 Progressive into a workable machine! Why they used those plastic primer strips and that cheesy primer loading press, I'll never know. The tube system is much simpler and infinitely more sturdy. Thanks again Rick.

BTW: Blasers = barf barf barf and don't forget ... barf

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
quote:
No VC for me thanks!

Smart man. I say a little prayer for Butch every day.

Mike

Posts: 21402 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
quote:
No VC for me thanks!

Smart man. I say a little prayer for Butch every day.

Mike,I see you gave Todd some of those fake targets.Now he is going to post them all over here and claim like you that he shot them off sticks at 50yds....and you dont need to worry about Butch because surprise!- he makes good rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Jines,

I seem to remember you shooting this rifle better than I did that day in Houston. Have you tried any of the 475gr Non-Cons since then? I think my load was a bit hot in your rifle however. Maybe drop it a grain or two. Makes one hell of an "expanding" projectile in the 500NE at 2,400fps!!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have not shot any of the CEBs in my .500's. I am taking my VC .470 in three weeks and I have loaded 460 grain Safari Raptors and 500 grain Safari Solids for it. Both shoot very well and I am getting around 2200 fps with the Raptors and 2150 with the Solids. My other rifle will be my trusty Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger loaded with 300 grain Barnes TSX and Barnes Solids. I know that some feel my Guide Gun is butt ugly, but it shoots lights out. Come to think of it, George, maybe you should pick up a Guide Gun those targets you post might start looking a little better.

Mike

Posts: 21402 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike, I do hope you get to use that ugly ole guide gun on your "secondary" target!! Wink Still planning on doing the tracking hunt for him in addition to the ele bull?

Wish I was heading out in 3 weeks. As of yesterday, we have exactly 9 weeks to go. As always, the anticipation is killing me but it gives me more time to continue getting in shape. I've lost 26 lbs so far over the past 10 weeks and I'm trying to loose another 24 lbs by departure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep up the training Todd! Don't worry so much about the weight 26 lbs is allot already good for you

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great shooting Todd. Glad it all worked out.

Awesome rifle & hope you have a great hunt! Wish you a real BIG jumbo!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Pretty work Todd! Now, how the heck do I lose weight?? Confused

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Impressive Todd! There was never any doubt regarding Ken and the VC folks. Congrats!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Mike, I do hope you get to use that ugly ole guide gun on your "secondary" target!! Wink Still planning on doing the tracking hunt for him in addition to the ele bull?

Wish I was heading out in 3 weeks. As of yesterday, we have exactly 9 weeks to go. As always, the anticipation is killing me but it gives me more time to continue getting in shape. I've lost 26 lbs so far over the past 10 weeks and I'm trying to loose another 24 lbs by departure.

Good for you Todd!!!!
I lost just south of 40lbs for my trip. Nothing like a goal to get one off of their Fat Ass, and have done quite well on keeping it off.
Just curious what type of sticks are you using with your double

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm down 32 men. Twenty to go!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good going Jorge. Keep it up. I'm trying to loose the other 24 by the time we leave on our hunt but looking to drop 20 more after that. One thing I did notice is that the 500NE is pushing me around a bit more now however! Either that or I've just lost some of my recoil tolerance by not shooting it on a regular basis while it was being worked on. But no doubt, the rifle is spot on now.

Zephyr,

I have a set of 3 leg sticks from Sporting Creations but I really don't like the 3 leg configuration. I find one leg is always flying out somewhere and they are a pain to set up on anything other than a completely flat area.

So to answer your question, I use a set of 2 leg Bog Pod sticks. On this particular day, I also had my truck set up so that I could rest my right elbow on the side rail of the truck bed. This allows me to be very stable but not interfere with the rifle's recoil arc in the way it would shooting from a conventional bench. It also works to place a second set of sticks under the elbow.

Obviously not a technique one would use in the field, but my main goal here, after shooting from field conditions, was to check the rifle's capabilities after the regulation work was performed. No complaints now. If I miss the ele's brain on this hunt, it won't be the rifle's fault!

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

There is a nasty rumor going around that you were seen shooting a Blaser of some kind. I said this can't possibly be true but then someone said there is photographic proof. This isn't true is it?

Your VC is really nice. Good luck on your hunt.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Todd:

There is a nasty rumor going around that you were seen shooting a Blaser of some kind. I said this can't possibly be true but then someone said there is photographic proof. This isn't true is it?

Your VC is really nice. Good luck on your hunt.

Dave, I'd say any picture of me in the same county with a Blaser would stand a high chance of being photoshopped!

Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I missed this thread earlier in the year... wow, your gun looks awesome Todd. Congratulations!!

IMO - for the money - this maker is STREETS ahead of the close competition - you know who you are...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
No VC for me thanks! Five to six inches at 50yds??What kind of crap is that?

As opposed to the Searcy that was recently shipped out with no front sight or the one from years ago with misspelled calibre engraving? Every maker makes a mistake now and again...the trick is whether or not they stand behind their product.