THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    This Just In - New Arrival *** New Splinter Pictures Added *** Range Report Added
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Just In - New Arrival *** New Splinter Pictures Added *** Range Report Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a really classy looking rifle Todd. It looks so "British" at first glance. I definitely prefer the CCH look and the extra bits of gold contrast.

I wish I could have one like that in 450/400 or 450 NE!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Congratulations on a really classy looking rifle Todd. It looks so "British" at first glance. I definitely prefer the CCH look and the extra bits of gold contrast.

Thanks Naki. But you CAN have one just like it in your caliber. Takes about 10 months!! Cheers mate!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Thanks Naki. But you CAN have one just like it in your caliber. Takes about 10 months!! Cheers mate![/QUOTE]

No, he's saving up for a for sale William Evens 450NE.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Rifle Todd!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Beautiful Rifle Todd!!!!

Thanks Aaron. I hope you're able to get the 577 back!! If you do, let me know. I've still got some goodies for it you might want. Such as theses!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Todd: What leather are you running there? I'm still on a perennial quest to find either a cartridge belt or holder I can live with for my 450. I tried that canvas culling belt and it sucked.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Jorge, those cartridge carriers were for my 577NE but all calibers are available, as are closed tips, or all contained on a culling belt.

They are from Murray Custom Leather. Dick Murray. His home and place of business is about 10 miles from my home. Dick can make whatever you need, if he doesn't already have it in stock. He's not cheap, but neither is the quality of his work. I think these slides were $90 each IIRC but they will never wear out under normal circumstances.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I know Dick and have bought a lot of things from him through the years. I'm using the closed end 416 holders I got from him for the 450, but I'd like something colser to what you have. i.e., open ended. BTW, I HATE any kind of plastic shit Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Give him a ring. I'll bet he has them in stock for the 450NE. Agree with you. Open tips only!! The closed tips are a recipe for having cartridges fall out as you can't push them in far enough to hold after they stretch. But that's a different topic and road we've been down previously! stir

Yep, no plastic for me either!! As in Blaser!! stir stir

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
What should I ask for specifically or are they listed on his website? I appreciate it. Say, when are you going to wring out that gorgeous double?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
If you like these slides, ask him for the open tipped, 6 round slides for the 450NE. I think they are on the website but you have to look for them a bit. I do know he will custom make them if not in stock.

I'll take the rifle to the range this weekend, possibly tomorrow. Depends on when I get finished with work today, or tomorrow. It's killing me that I received the rifle, took some quick pictures, then had to leave. I didn't even get to "coon finger" the rifle for an hour!! CRYBABY

I'm anxious to get back home and wring it out. Luckily, I've got about 80 rounds loaded and ready to go!!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sweet! I'll await your report!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
VC does make a sweet rifle, eh? That gun of yours is mighty nice! And Ken is good as gold to boot!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
yessir. sometimes I wonder if I should have ordered it in the French Gray or Coin finish, but after looking at yours and the Admirals' I'm glad I stuck with the plan and stayed with the CCH, although a bit more gold inlay (caliber stamp on the rib), "safe" etc would have added a nice touch

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, I usually like 4 round capacity in a hunting rifle. Was VC out of the 4-barrel model?

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Todd, I usually like 4 round capacity in a hunting rifle. Was VC out of the 4-barrel model?

We would be back into the need for a wheel set at that point!! hilbily

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just got back home a couple of hours ago and took another look at the splinter fore-end. No doubt about it, it is closer to the way the VC pics of that shot gun look as my pictures are distorting it because of the angle. You're actually not seeing the profile with my pics. You're seeing all the way to the opposite side which is making it look more like their beavertail fore-end.

I'll take some additional pictures tomorrow in the sunlight and pay particular attention to the angle. Stand by until then.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
As promised, here are a couple of additional pictures of the splinter fore-end showing the profile a bit better. I tried to get the tops of the barrels completely level so as not to distort the thickness of the fore-end as occurred in the original pics. This looks pretty close to the pics Tendrams posted.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
MUCh trimmer when compared to mine:

Looks GREAT Todd..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I guess it saves machining and puts more weight between the hands.

Precisely. I would guess that the round body might be a smidge heavier than the bolstered design which, to my mind anyway, is a great way to start approaching the balance of the old brit rifles. What I find odd is that VC seems quite capable of a tapered splinter in their shotgun range but have yet to really try it with their bigger rifles. That said, even in the below rifle, I think the splinter could be shorter. I also want this wrist checkering!!!!

Now, all that said, I think this rifle of Todd's is just sweet looking. One word... WANT!

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Yup....essentially the same. There might be the tiniest bit more taper in the rifle I posted but that is probably due to the smaller calibre and just natural variation in a handmade product. Now go get that sweet rifle off the sidewalk before someone swipes it. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range with the new rifle. Again, I'm very pleased with it.

For some reason, the way I hold and shoot a double rifle causes my POI to strike to the right. It happened on my Merkel 500NE, the 577NE, and now today with the new VC 500NE. I drifted the rear sight on the Merkel to get it to dead center but when Lionhunter acquired the rifle, it struck to the left for him. So yeah, definitely something about my technique.

As a result, my first 6 shots struck the paper right about 3 inches. I drifted the rear sight to the left ever so slightly and this was the result of the next 4 rounds, offhand, 25 yards.

Unfortunately, I had a malfunction with my tripod that prevented me from raising the Chrony high enough to shoot thru it. So no velocity data just yet. But these were mid level loads and I have 5 grains more to go before reaching the book Max Load so I'm sure to be able to bring the spread in a bit. Looks like elevation is very close and each barrel shoots well individually.

Recoil was very manageable and not at all an issue. This from a 10.25 lb 500NE. So no, I don't think you need 11 lbs to make a 500NE enjoyable as long as the stock fits well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another grain or 2 and you'll be a caliber-width apart. Good vertical alignment as well.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have the exact opposite problem Todd, I tend to shoot left. I think I read here that my problem is I tend to grip the rifle too hard with my right hand. How was felt recoil?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yeah Jon, it looks pretty good so far. I'm going to load tomorrow and get back out there, maybe Sunday and see if I can close the gap.

I'm going to give Michael and Sam's new lighter weight bullets a go as well as soon as I can place an order. I'm intrigued by the 525gr and 2,350fps possibilities out of a 500NE. That's very close to the 505 Gibbs and 500 Jeffery if it's possible to get to that point.

Jorge,

Recoil was pleasant. No problem at all. I ran out of ammo long before running out of shoulder today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!
What was your starting load for that Todd?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun, Todd. I'm wouldn't go so far as to choose it in preference to my Blaser R93, but definitely very nice. stir

Your 25-yard groups show great promise. However, be careful, and make sure that you check out the other posts in this section of the forum. Some guy in Quebec has posted some very interesting and informative pointers on sighting in these guns, which you may find useful and informative. stir stir stir

If I remember his name I'll post it here!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Beautiful gun, Todd. I'm wouldn't go so far as to choose it in preference to my Blaser R93, but definitely very nice. stir

Your 25-yard groups show great promise. However, be careful, and make sure that you check out the other posts in this section of the forum. Some guy in Quebec has posted some very interesting and informative pointers on sighting in these guns, which you may find useful and informative. stir stir stir

If I remember his name I'll post it here!

animal jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is shooting that low at 25yds you are probably a foot low at 50yds.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually probably dead on at 50 and maybe an inch or so high at 100

fishing

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
If it is shooting that low at 25yds you are probably a foot low at 50yds.

and then dead on again at 100.....

Mac

Posts: 1732 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, one shot from your beautiful Jumbo could cover all 4 of those holes :-)

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Rick, to answer your question, that starting load yesterday was 100grs of IMR 4007 SSC with the 570gr CEBs.

I loaded 102grs, 103grs, and 104grs today with 105 being listed as Max. However, I think that 105 load was absolute Max in my Merkel previously. I'm thinking if I can get descent velocity and close the gap to an inch or so with 104grs, I'll use that as the go to load. More after a range session tomorrow!

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm going to give Michael and Sam's new lighter weight bullets......

Michael and Sam are NOT in the bullet business! shame

Todd, your rifle is stunning. The CCH with the gold is simple and elegant. I agree with a previous post in that I appreciate the features you didn't incorporate as much as those you did.

And it appears performance matches great looks in this case.

I am sure the new, lighter CEBs will be deadly and accurate when you load those.

Nice to see you are using your Texas method of sighting-in as well. Otherwise, when that Jumbo is at 12 yards, you might be shooting 3 feet high.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjbull:
quote:

I'm going to give Michael and Sam's new lighter weight bullets......

Michael and Sam are NOT in the bullet business!

Todd, your rifle is stunning. The CCH with the gold is simple and elegant. I agree with a previous post in that I appreciate the features you didn't incorporate as much as those you did.

And it looks like performance matches looks in this case.

I am sure the new, lighter CEBs will be deadly and accurate when you load those.

Nice to see you are using your Texas method of sighting-in as well. Otherwise, when that Jumbo is at 12 yards, you might be shooting 3 feet high.

Yeah, wrong phrase I used there. What I meant to say was I'm interested in Sam and Michael's loads using the new lighter weight bullets. Sam says they are working on pressure testing those lighter bullet loads this week. I'm hoping he'll test some with IMR 4007 SSC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got back from the range with the new rifle. Again, I'm very pleased with it.

As a result, my first 6 shots struck the paper right about 3 inches. I drifted the rear sight to the left ever so slightly and this was the result of the next 4 rounds, offhand, 25 yards.

Unfortunately, I had a malfunction with my tripod that prevented me from raising the Chrony high enough to shoot thru it. So no velocity data just yet. But these were mid level loads and I have 5 grains more to go before reaching the book Max Load so I'm sure to be able to bring the spread in a bit. Looks like elevation is very close and each barrel shoots well individually.

Recoil was very manageable and not at all an issue. This from a 10.25 lb 500NE. So no, I don't think you need 11 lbs to make a 500NE enjoyable as long as the stock fits well.

Nice shooting rifle you got yourself there Todd, couple more grains and they will be pretty close. Your group is almost identical to the group I got on my first outing with my Sabatti 470. It took only few grains more which brought both barrels together, to within an 1" CTC.

Glad to hear that the recoil is not punishing, must be an excellent fit for the stock, who did measure you up?

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very close to my taste... Wink
I hope it will serve you well!

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

For some reason, the way I hold and shoot a double rifle causes my POI to strike to the right. It happened on my Merkel 500NE, the 577NE, and now today with the new VC 500NE. I drifted the rear sight on the Merkel to get it to dead center but when Lionhunter acquired the rifle, it struck to the left for him. So yeah, definitely something about my technique.

Nice shooting Todd.
Certainly "minute of elephant brain".

All the right stuff ...

Except ...
Uhhhh ...

Your brass is a little on the "small" side ...

jumping
hilbily
Wink

Looking forward to the many successful hunt reports beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:

Nice shooting Todd.
Certainly "minute of elephant brain".

All the right stuff ...

Except ...
Uhhhh ...

Your brass is a little on the "small" side ...

jumping
hilbily
Wink

Looking forward to the many successful hunt reports beer

Naw Doc. I just have very large ... HANDS! Whistling

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Naw Doc. I just have very large ... HANDS! Whistling

You CAN'T, you're a fighter pilot with just a BIG watch! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member