THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    CHAPUIS 9,3 x 74R (or other cal.) GROUP BUY !
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHAPUIS 9,3 x 74R (or other cal.) GROUP BUY !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wood upgrades are $200 for each grade up.

skl1:

Is there a place online where you can see the various grades of wood upgrades for these?

Also, any idea on the additional cost for a cheek piece?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
As I conveyed to John when he first posted, I am interested. If we went the Evolution route, I would like to know how much extra to go to a .400 Jeffery (.450-400 3-inch).

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3817 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They gave me a price of 10K for the 400, with a delivery time of about 6 months.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called Champlins. Their price for the extractor UGEX is $4,300. Ejector UGEX is $4,650. $300 more for 30-06.

There's "slightly" (emphasis George Caswell's) better wood on the ejector model.

Approx 4 month delivery. 70% up front.

He couldn't remember if cheekpiece came on the UGEX ejector model. Coin finish standard, but he could check on case color or blued.

WLM has pricing on the website: UGEX is $5,500 and RGEX is $6,900. $550 for a cheekpiece. I believe I've seen the ones in stock go for a little less.

Haven't talked to EVO. On the wood, I haven't seen any pictures other than the ones shown on the sample production and sample custom shop doubles here:

http://www.chapuis-armes.com/VI_Chapuis/Anglais/en_frame.htm

Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
skl1:

Champlin's sounds like a good deal, and a lot of us have done business with George and JJ.

Possibly stupid question: What is the LOP for the UGEX model? My ideal LOP is 14.5"

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
I called Champlins. Their price for the extractor UGEX is $4,300. Ejector UGEX is $4,650. $300 more for 30-06.

WHEW ! That will save me a lot of legwork to avoid paying the $5800 that I have seen these guns going for elsewhere! THANKS ! Big Grin

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:

Is that his normal price or as part of a group deal? Those prices seem too good to be true!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Also with the Champlins price is that with the Federal Excise Tax (FET) or before the FET?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3817 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree the Champlin's pricing looks the most attractive.

I don't know about the standard LOP, but on the website there's a Chapuis Brousse model, which is the "low-end" dbl in DG calibers, and it indicates you can specify LOP. Have to check if that's true with the UGEX. I'd also like to verify scope mounting options and costs.

Dave, how are you? Sorry about the 03 Springfield. Hope you found another stock, etc. The FET IS INCLUDED in the Champlin price: I asked.

Champlins did some work for me on a double shotgun, and I was happy with the work and price. I'd be happy to do more business with them, too. George indicated they'll fix anything on the Chapuis for life, except wood.

The EVO guys do custom stock dimensions, better "base" wood, offer wood upgrades, offer different finishes on the receiver, and offer the slick $300 Talley-based QR mounts.

I indicated to George that there were several folks possibly interested (and asked if I could post the prices on a forum). I did this after he gave me the prices, so they're his "regular" prices.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those prices seem very good...kind of makes me wonder about prices I have seen in the past.

I am most likely not going to be part of this deal but you never know...I do have a suggestion that may assist.

Appoint a point person....get all the orders you can get together... skl1 has established very good "base pricing". Hopefully, you will have enough firm orders to go back to all the potential suppliers and say we like to buy, by example only, say 10...minimum with the possibility for more once you have the best price!...see what you get....maybe $4,000 or less...You guys did some good work, if I was in the market I would be in for sure....

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
O
Including brokerage, shipping, insurance, FET, duty, customs and the posted G&H fee, it looks like we can get into three of them for around 3600 Euros or $4400 each.

Best,

John

Well i handled the Chapuis Safari few times and thought about buying it in 500/416 but then i got a good offer. Heym 88B Safari in .450 N.E. 3,25 used but very good condition.

Now i am sure: Better a used Heym than a new chapuis...

Just comparing switching the safety is more than words can say... clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, what's the deal? Are we going with Champlins or sticking with G&H?
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done business with Champlins, I can highly recommend them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been sort of on the fence about another big purchase so soon after the Merkel 470, but if I get off the fence I'll go with Champlin's because:

1) They're offering the lowest price without any sort of volume commitment.
2) They service these rifles for lifetime.
3) They're an established company.
4) I've been pleased dealing with them in the past.

Usually you pay more to go with an established company (like G&H or William, Larkin, Moore, or Champlin's), but they are offering a price about 25% below most of the other folks (though the EVO guys are selling a more-expensive custom shop gun with more included options, finishes, wood, etc) with lifetime service at a firm that's likely to be around for awhile.

My thoughts on it, anyway.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All this group buy information is very interesting. Please pardon my stupidity, but who is G&H?

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griffin & Howe.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're offering the lowest price without any sort of volume commitment.

EXACTLY, it looks like the entire "group buy" idea became unnecessary with Champlins offering these rifles at $4400. Further, G&H has YET to get back to me about any of this after repeated phone calls on my part. I'm not totally thrilled with the customer service there to be totally frank.

JMHO,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles Prince, please check your Private Messages.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a group buy for a UGEX extractor I can go $4100 all taxes and duty included.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHEW! NOW we're talkin! How many rifles to get that deal?

Best,

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2, then shipping costs will be shared

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do I get in the group buy for the 9.3 rifle?

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to WWW.heirloomarmes.com and click the Contact Us link.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Attractive price!

Guys, what's the story on this group buy thing? How many are SERIOUSLY thinking about doing this?

If the group is 5 or 10 +, any additional savings?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, let me know how many and what model and I will figure a price. Additional options are at cost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK.....It's time to ante-up and get an estimate of costs for each model given the number of people who are serious. I, for one, am serious and am interested particularly in the RGEX with a pancake cheekpiece or, if costs dictate otherwise, a plain jane UGEX extractor (do those have cheekpieces now as standard equipment as shown on the Chapuis site?).

I think maybe it would be easier for all concerned if we could get some pricing detailed in steps. Guys can then make decisions on the basis of realistic price estimates determined by the number of other guys interested.

If you could let us know what pricing would be for various models (say...UGEX and RGEX extractor and ejector with the price for wood upgrades or other options like a case and such) assuming that we order say 1-5, 5-10. or 10+ units, I think that would help. Obviously, you would know better than I where these steps would be for your own pricing purposes.

Best,

John

P.S. I think guys might also be interested to know if they can order rifles made to their own measurements. Thanks again! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in for one!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best way is for each individual to log on to my web site and send me an e-mail with their wish list. I will quote the options and they can choose what they want. I have a bunch of last years catalogs if anyone wants one. I will not get the 2006 catalogs for another month.
The UGEX Ejector is $241 more and the RGEX is $1042 more than the base price. The group is growing so the base will go down. The base model comes with Monte Carlo cheek piece. The RGEX comes with a Deutsch Back (Pancake). All guns are made to order so I would need everyones measurements. The only additional charge would be for a stock that is very long or large drop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLN,

You have a PM

Best,

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get in trouble with this forum when I sound off in the wrong way. Regardless, some of this information is news to me. The basic UGEX has no cheekpiece, and the RGEX has no sideplates, false or otherwise. This is from the Chapuis 2005 catalog. The cheekpiece is an extra Euro80. per my dealer price list.

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

If the "basic UGEX" has no cheekpiece and the RGEX has no sideplates under "normal" circumstances but they DO for the above price, then I don't think anyone will complain (though I prefer the boxlock anyway). If the cheekpiece is only 80 euros, I also doubt anyone will really care given that the $4100 quoted price is a $300 difference relative to Champlins.

To be frank, if you can beat the price posted above even on what you perceive to be the "basic" models then do let us know. If not, then it's not your deal and not for you to monkey with. For my own purposes, and since you intentionally misrepresented yourself on the other thread, let me say that I would GLADLY pay the extra $1000 for a new-guy supplied Heym to at least know I was dealing with a straight shooter.

JMHO,

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez...OK let me make a parable.
Bill Price is the president of Hilltop Ford. He is on a forum about cars and pickups. New-Seller posts that "Valley Ford has a special price for forum members and will sell you a new Ford pickup for $17,500. Bill Smith posts "Hilltop Ford will sell you the same pickup for $1,000.00 less. What's with that?" Somehow I do not find this to be deceptive.
As to the Chapuis 9.3x74R with sideplates, I am a customer for one at $4,100.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Prince:
Geez...OK let me make a parable.
Bill Price is the president of Hilltop Ford. He is on a forum about cars and pickups. New-Seller posts that "Valley Ford has a special price for forum members and will sell you a new Ford pickup for $17,500. Bill Smith posts "Hilltop Ford will sell you the same pickup for $1,000.00 less. What's with that?" Somehow I do not find this to be deceptive.

Exactly my point and I find it damn funny that you can't keep your identity straight even in the hypothetical realm! The problem is Bill Price represented himself as someone other than president of Hilltop Ford (Bill Smith)...creating the illusion that he was an objective observer and not someone trolling for customers. Meanwhile, New_Seller is representing himself as owner of Valley Ford when he offers the deal. I won't hijack this thread any further with this argument but will say again that I am always happy to pay a premium for honesty.

JMHO,

John

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
I won't hijack this thread any further with this argument but will say again that I am always happy to pay a premium for honesty.
JMHO,
John

John,
Let see if I really understand what you are saying.You would be happy to pay $1,000.00 more for the exact same gun,truck or whatever?

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Charles, I sent you a PM.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's get this thread back on track. We seem to have four or five people in. Anyone else?

Best,

John

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have not heard back from DLN on a price quote for the options listed. Anyone know anything about him?

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The group is getting bigger. The price is getting better. I will update tonight.

John
I hate to admit it but he was right about the sideplates. I misread the book. I stand by my price to you.

My prices "include" the cheek piece.

Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLN:

I have a figure in mine - not much lower than what you already posted. If you hit it, I'm in for one with a cheek piece.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
I have not heard back from DLN on a price quote for the options listed. Anyone know anything about him?

Dale just got back to me...pending a few details I could be in on this.