THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    CHAPUIS 9,3 x 74R (or other cal.) GROUP BUY !
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHAPUIS 9,3 x 74R (or other cal.) GROUP BUY !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK Gents...I have spoken with G&H today and received some information about the costs of importing a bunch of these rifles from a dealer I ran across located in France.

Including brokerage, shipping, insurance, FET, duty, customs and the posted G&H fee, it looks like we can get into three of them for around 3600 Euros or $4400 each. Ordering multiples of three will be the cheapest option due to the structure of G&H's pricing. This final cost assumes, of course, that 1) we ARE liable for the federal excise tax and 2) that G&H does not have this counted against their apparent 50 gun per year excise tax exemption. So, near as I can figure it, G&H's president is gonna get back to me in the next couple of weeks when he finds out if this order adversely impacts his ability to save tax money on high dollar guns that they import to re-sell. If not, it looks like our deal could be a go. I still have everyones PMs regarding their interest so I will post more when I know more. If anyone else who hasn't contacted me yet is interested, drop me a PM.

Also, just for the sake of those who might be interested in something else, the above prices are for the UGEX extractor double. One can get ejecters for an extra 350 Euros or even upgrade to the RGEX (nicer wood and a cheekpiece) for another 1400 Euros. For those not so intrigued by the 9,3 (some have PM'd me about this) these rifles are also available in ...

8x57JRS
7x65R
8x75RS

and for the truly odd among us. Wink

30R Blaser

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Is this the African PH grade 1 in 9.3X74R?

Could any be bought left handed or would that have to be a seperate buy?

What is the FET rate?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the standard utility grade model sans cheeckpiece and with basic grade wood but with the factory scope blocks. I am not sure if the stock has any cast either way or, for that matter, if they even make a lefty model with reversed triggers and thumb-lever. I can check though.

The FET rate is 11%.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
John,

Sent you a PM.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
When would you need the money, John?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis 9,3x74R that I have been using for several years is the standard utility grade.
It is a great hunting rifle.
The Chapuis pivot scope mounts go back to zero 100%.
It weighs 7 1/4 lbs without scope. It is my favorite hunting rifle under 40 cal.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle in a great caliber.

http://www.chapuis-armes.com/VI_Chapuis/Anglais/en_frame.htm

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Tough to say at this point as it depends how quickly G&H decides whether or not this order (if big) impacts their tax status or not. I can't imagine it would be sooner than a month but you never know. As for payment, I was thinking about setting up an escrow account since most guys are probably wary of sending $4K+ to some random guy they know from the internet. Smiler Of course, escrow fees are the buyers responsibility.

Best,

John

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
John,
I have no problem sending you money! Just a problem trying to gather it up in time! rotflmo

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't blame you a bit if you did have a problem sending it to me directly. The troubles we all go through gathering up cash should make us extra careful of where we send it. I appreciate the trust though. Smiler

Best,

John

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
John, just keep us posted on the details. FYI, I think I would be interested in getting the ejector variant versus the extractor variant.

Mike

Mike

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Keep me posted on the developments. I may be interested as I'm looking for a smaller caliber double for my safe.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
My Chapuis 9,3x74R that I have been using for several years is the standard utility grade.
It is a great hunting rifle.
The Chapuis pivot scope mounts go back to zero 100%.
It weighs 7 1/4 lbs without scope. It is my favorite hunting rifle under 40 cal.

Tony,

Does yours have extractors, or did you get the ejector upgrade?

Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, just for the sake of those who might be interested in something else, the above prices are for the UGEX extractor double. One can get ejecters for an extra 350 Euros...John

John, do you mean that the ejector upgrade COULD be done on one of the rifles in this bulk purchase for an extra $435 or so, or did you just mean to let everybody know that ejectors are available if they are out there looking.

Thanks,

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle has ejectors. I shot it today as a matter of fact.
The 9,3x74R Chapuis [with scope in QD mounts] is one of the best hunting rifles on the planet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:

John, do you mean that the ejector upgrade COULD be done on one of the rifles in this bulk purchase for an extra $435 or so, or did you just mean to let everybody know that ejectors are available if they are out there looking.

The former...guys who want to can order ejectors, higher grade wood, or a different calibre with the first two changes being at a higher cost.

Best,

John

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Please add me to your notify list as well. Thanks

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am interested.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there someone other than G&H that we could work with for a group buy?

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just curious, what's the issue or concern with G&H?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
Can you get a price on a Chapuis in 375 H&H, color case hardned reciever with the rib cut for scope mounts.
Also have all you guys thought about ordering the scope mounts when you order the rifle. I know I would. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post

That's a good question! I'm sure there is and it would probably be cheaper but G&H are the only folks I've seen who advertise the service and one implicitly knows that they are to be trusted with $45K worth of our rifles. Maybe I have missed someone that you know of?

MJ,

Apparently, G&H imports a number of rifles a year and I got the impression that a certain number (50 I believe) were exempt from FET. If our order, of lets assume a dozen guns, reduces the number that they can import or forces them to pay FET on super high dollar stuff that they import to sell ...then our deal would wind up costing them more money in the long run than they would make from us paying their fees. G&H is double checking to make sure that, if we are liable for FET, that it doesn't come off of their allocation since they are technically stamping their name on the weapons as "importer".

Tony,

I will check that for you. I had definitely planned to order my rifle with the scope mounts.

Best,

John

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Understood.

FYI, I would definitely be interested in the scope mounts. Specifically, the UGEX Classic, with ejectors, pistol grip, double triggers with the scope mounts in 9.3x74R.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, not knowing a lot about the rifle is it possible to get into deal with a 470? Also, do not know a lot about 9.3x74. Assume this would be a good buffalo caliber, etc. Is it balistically similar to the 375?

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
BigBBear
The 9,3x74R loads I shoot in my double rifle launch a 286 grain bullet at about 2220fps.
Factory loads:
Norma 286 Alaska 2250fps
RWS 286 Soft Point 2270
Sellier & Belliot 285 SP 2190
Norma 232 Vulcan 2515
Superior 286 Nosler Partition 2308
Superior 286 Woodleigh Soft 2311
Superior 286 Woodleigh Solid 2215

So as you can see the 9,3x74R is a slight step down from a 375 H&H.
However I would prefer my 9,3 double to my 375 Bolt when hunting African Game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

I am in G&H regularly, their New Jersey location is about half way between my home and job, the pres. Joe P. knows me by name when I stop in, if I can be of help to you in any way PLEASE let me know.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John
You might contact Evolution USA in White Bird Idaho. www.evo-rifles.com
He might make you a deal on some Chapuis 9,3x74R.
He also has the Chapuis custom shop make the 450/400 3" on the 375 frame.
That is one slick rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks 450 No 2, seems like a great buffalo caliber. Assume the caliber a bit more accurate than most heavier calibers. True?

Would be interested in group buy as well. Looked on web site and heavier calibers are almost double the price.

York, SC

posted Hide Post
I would be interested in the 375 H&H also
with the rib cut for scope mounts.I would love
the 470 if the cost was NOT a great deal more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are those DR on the Evolution site Chapius DRs? Also, are is the 9.3x74R style pictured there the same DR comptemplated for the goup buy?

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jjs
To my knowledge they are. The owner of Evolution is a personal friend of MR Chapuis.

BigBBear
I do not know if it is more accurate than the bigger bores, but it does have a lot less recoil.
My 9,3 Chapuis has taken game past 300 yards.
In Zim in 2004 I used the scope for everything I shot. However here in the US and one bear in Canada I have taken more game with the iron sights.In fact before I left for Africa I "forced" myself to use the scope to shoot several pigs, just to get used to it.
I must say as much as I like bog bore doubles the 9,3x74R Chapuis is an excellent double for the sport hunter for many reasons.
First price, they are about half what a new made 470 costs.
Recoil and weight. The rifle weighs 7 1/4 lbs without scope, very easy to carry over long treks or over rough ground. Recoil is not bad at all, a little more than a 30-06.
I have used 232 Vulcan Norma factory loads, handloads with the 270 Speer, factory 286 [several different brands] and 293 TUG, and handloads wioth 285 Hawk, 286 Woodleigh Soft and 286 nosler Partitions.
I prefer the 286 grain bullets, as I just like long heavy bullets.
I have taken varmints, such as skunks, armidillos, beavers, raccoon, coyotes. a bobcat, turkey, wild pigs, deer, 2 black bears, 11 impala, kudu, waterbuck, klipspringer, civet cat, jackel, and baboon.
I am going to try and shoot an elephant or two and maybe a cape buff with it this March in Zim.
With a scope I consider it the equal to a scoped bolt action rifle out to 300 yards.
The secret to hitting game at 300 yards with a scoped double is the same as doing it with a scoped bolt rifle, PRACTICE WITH IT AT 300 YARDS.
As I have said before the Chapuis is my favorite hunting rifle under 40 cal.
The nice thing about having a 9,3x74R double is that you can use it for so many different hunts you will get lots of practice with it, thius yhou will hit where you aim.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI,

I called the nice folks at EVO rifles. They offer the custom shop version of the Chapuis. The 9.3x74R and below calibers are $5,200 (vice $4,895 as stated on website; website is going to be updated). For $5200 you get ejectors, choice of finish (coin, french gray, case color or rust blue), and grade 2 wood. EVO offers their proprietary QR system based on Talley mounts vice EAW mounts, for another $300.

This rifle also comes with 1 sight leaf. There's an upgrade to a better sight available, but I'm not sure what you get with the upgrade. I think he said better sight was $100 more. Wood upgrades are $200 for each grade up. The stock would be made to you dimensions. 30-06 is about $100 more (some tax thing in France on military calibers).

Steve

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
What is the link to their website?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450#2 posted it above..

www.evo-rifles.com

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI,

I called the nice folks at EVO rifles. They offer the custom shop version of the Chapuis. The 9.3x74R and below calibers are $5,200 (vice $4,895 as stated on website; website is going to be updated). For $5200 you get ejectors, choice of finish (coin, french gray, case color or rust blue), and grade 2 wood. EVO offers their proprietary QR system based on Talley mounts vice EAW mounts, for another $300.

This rifle also comes with 1 sight leaf. There's an upgrade to a better sight available, but I'm not sure what you get with the upgrade. I think he said better sight was $100 more. Wood upgrades are $200 for each grade up. The stock would be made to you dimensions. 30-06 is about $100 more (some tax thing in France on military calibers).

Steve

Any possibility of seeing what kind of deal they would give us if we did a group buy?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Any possibility of seeing what kind of deal they would give us if we did a group buy?

A VERY GOOD QUESTION ! ! ! One question from me is "who is doing the work on these rifles?" Is chapuis doing to work in France and then shipping them over or is the work being done in Idaho on Chapuis receivers? Just curious. If they'll deal with us in Idaho then I would be happy to avoid going through the logistics of G&H.

Best,

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
John and 577,

I'll call on Monday.

They said they can still make a double rifle, but the one they make is $15-18K. So they're the exclusive importer of the Chapuis custom-shop doubles.

I'll specifically ask, but I got the impression that EVO isn't doing the regulation or finishing, Chapuis is. This is the opposite impression folks who talked to them at the SCI show got. So I'll ask.

How many folks are interested? How many more are committed?

Should we ask Champlins (OK) or William, Larkin, Moore, (AZ) for group buy pricing, too?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1. My understanding is the same as yours. They can make a double themselves, but the Chapuis come complete from Chapuis.
I especially liked the 400 Jeffery on the 375 Chapuis frame. It had a low mounted scope and was really slick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should we ask Champlins (OK) or William, Larkin, Moore, (AZ) for group buy pricing, too?

I think we should ask everyone and see who will take care of us the best.

Also, I'm sure the company that takes care of us will probably get some very good press on AR if it happens Wink

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Let me know the details whenever....

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote