THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    spartan -- or "the sky is falling"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

spartan -- or "the sky is falling"
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
I just spoke with remington..
"we have had very few shipments of the 30-06 and are hoping to have some of the 45/70s by the end of the year, with more by second quarter"

the sky is falling...
well, I don't guess i'll get my hopes up again, but my hopes are still up...

6.25#? heh, bet no one, but me, shoot garrett loads in them!!

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
45/70s by the end of the year,

Gentleman's bet still on for the $2.00?

Double or nothing it won't be here by January 1???

Whatcha got to loose? I win, you are out four bucks. You win, you loose nuthin'...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Ah me, if 'twere only true. I still want my .45-100.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jeffe:
What do you think retail will be if and when these things ever materialize from the world of lightning and vapors?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
According to 'Fireman" in this thread he got one for $935.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/601108167

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

He didn't say WHAT year.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
According to 'Fireman" in this thread he got one for $935.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/601108167

More than they are worth !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'll take the double or nothing...

or 4 to one, if *I* don't have a 45/70 by 4/1/08 ...

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You should be covered in oil and stuck in a microwave oven! I'll be thinking about this post for the next week! rotflmo

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard Wyle E. Coyote is endorsing them and is on the list to have one by roadrunner season...

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's got to be in winter.

That's the only possible time that Hell can freeze over.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why Remington is still in business. A $50 gun for $900 just because it's got two barrels. What a deal. P. T. Barnum was a genius.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
This is why Remington is still in business. A $50 gun for $900 just because it's got two barrels. What a deal. P. T. Barnum was a genius.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Re: "P.T. Barnum was a genius".... NO, He just had a very good understanding of the human "condition"....and he was right! Cool

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
This is why Remington is still in business. A $50 gun for $900 just
because it's got two barrels. What a deal. P. T. Barnum was a genius.

I'll stick with my vintage, English, Charles Osborne built boxlock. wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I bet it will be a big heap of doodoo. I think you guys that are still waiting on this gun should have bought more lotto tickets as you would have a better chance of getting your money's worth.
I'll take your bet and raise you $1.25.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1258 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
I bet it will be a big heap of doodoo. I think you guys that are still waiting on this gun should have bought more lotto tickets as you would have a better chance of getting your money's worth.
I'll take your bet and raise you $1.25.

sir... there are spr22s available today in 30-06 ... i haven't won the lotto yet, though, till waiting on the 45/70 though...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Available where? Every time I seem to track down the elusive thing, there are none left. Kind of reminds me of my Gold Label search a few years back.

thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 708 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Look at some of the online auctions.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Gunsamerica

...been looking only add for one I've seen.....

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't it true that the best info "out there"
on this rifle is that it really is JUNK! Confused

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The guns aren't necessarily junk as much as cheap. Like a Stevens 311 was a cheap side by side but perfectly useable. There were technical problems adapting a shotgun frame to double rifle stresses but the problems are supposed to be addressed from test results of the first batch sent earlier. Had it been up to the Russians alone, I bet they would have been shipped in quantity before the problem was remedied.

I'm not a big Remington fan but maybe they did the right thing for once stalling the introduction of the gun.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
Isn't it true that the best info "out there"
on this rifle is that it really is JUNK! Confused

Nope... lots of totally unfounded strong opinions as to what they aren't, generally from some dork that is trying to sell a reworked shotgun in 470 NE ..

I'll take a rifle that is built and delayed to be safe, and has had destructive testing vs some unknown jakeleg reworked winchester.

for 1K, i'll take the risk, thanks .. but let's not use it for a latrene before ANY of the 45/70s are in the market?

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the pictures of the gun on Gunsamerica I see that the gun is marked Remington on the side of the action but import marked USSG-Rockledge, FL on the barrel. I am not sure what this means but it strikes me as a little odd.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious - has Remington issued any kind of statement about the delay? It would be nice to hear from them that they delayed the roll out but have now addressed the early issues.

The last we heard from anyone at Remington was that they would NOT be marketed in the US.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Just curious - has Remington issued any kind of statement about the delay? It would be nice to hear from them that they delayed the roll out but have now addressed the early issues.

The last we heard from anyone at Remington was that they would NOT be marketed in the US.

What delay ?

The first statement in this topic
I just spoke with remington..
"we have had very few shipments of the 30-06 and are hoping to have some of the 45/70s by the end of the year, with more by second quarter"

I would say they will make an annoucement at the SHOT SHOW as opposed to now
where it would get some press coverage.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The delay to the US release. They announced the Spartan, and then delayed its US debut, due to rumors of Jeffe's evil twin planning to ream that sucker out to the max.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
45/70s by the end of the year,

Yep. The ONLY question is WHAT YEAR??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yee-hah ! Just got mine today at a local shop in NH. Say what you will, but I am going to have a whole lot of fun playing around with the thing. By the way, it does say Remington and Baikal on it. Doesn't say Spartan. Nothing fancy, but I've been using Grandad's old guns for a long time that don't look to have much better fit or finish..simple pleasures!
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 708 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Rick,
Let us know how it shoots and functions.

Regards,

Roscoe

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
They're perfectly fine "cheap" doubles. There are now a few floating about in Australia ... U/O's in 308Win, 30/06, 9.3x74R ... plus SxS 30/06's and a wildcat 7x64R (?) opened to 30cal.

The ease of regulation is particularly handy. I'm catching up with a gunshop owner this weekend who build the wildcat SxS ... so I'll be asking for some more information.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Roscoe,
They're perfectly fine "cheap" doubles. There are now a few floating about in Australia ... U/O's in 308Win, 30/06, 9.3x74R ... plus SxS 30/06's and a wildcat 7x64R (?) opened to 30cal.

The ease of regulation is particularly handy. I'm catching up with a gunshop owner this weekend who build the wildcat SxS ... so I'll be asking for some more information.
Cheers...
Con

And it's only a matter of time until rebores and barrel replacement in the monoblock spawn a whole bunch of other wildcat doubles. I look at the gun like others look at a new cartridge case; an oportunity to experiment at a price point that makes it doable. For fun, not necessarily "pride of ownership". Besides, its a very practical tool just how it comes from Remington.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate,
Exactly ... cheap thrills! The gunshop owner mentioned sold a Baikal U/O in 9.3x74R to a gent that mounted a Red dot style scope and now uses it well in double rifle competitions. It got him shooting and competing at a miniscule cost compared to the next cheapest option which is a second-hand Winchester or Beretta U/O.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
foxhound

what caliber is your rifle ?

is it o/u or side x side ?

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tomo
30-06, SxS . Haven't got out to try her yet, just rigged up some scope mounts for it during the last snowstorm.Gotta walk into the rifle range since the snow, and it won't happen until after deer season is over this Sunday at best.
Rick

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
foxhound please report back after shooting. I would realy like to hear how it works out. I had one of these that I had to send back about a year and a half ago. I would like to try another one if reports are good.

Also, What did you use for scope mounts?

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffesso,

If this topic is the year 2007 then its good news.

Keep working on it.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta,
I used some top of the line rimfire mounts designed for use on a rib (kind of like very cheesy claw mounts). There is also an existing dovetail on the top of the rib of the gun right around where the back mount goes; I created a piece (key?) to lock into the dovetail that extends up into the hollow section of the one piece mount. Looks like it ought to stay put. We'll see. If I could find any info as to if there is actually a model of mount it is designed for, it would be nice. The manual gave no information on anything useful at all,sights, mounts,regulation, nothing.
I will definitely let you know. I have been reading about your experiences for quite a while now. You are responsible for warning/educating a lot of us--I'll try to return the favor. By the way, I think they improved tolerances--I can't tell at all which barrel floats by looking ; I am going to be going on your information as to which barrel to sight in and which one moves. Great fun I am really looking forward to. Hope it stays together!
Rick

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My manual had some information in it. Mine was regulated for 168g bullets. They claimed the jack screw would move the bullets at 1cm per click at 100m, however I found it to move them more like one or two inchs per click. It was not exact by anymeans!!! The Fixed BBL did move a little on mine as the jack screw would push between the two bbls putting pressure on both.
In the owners manual is an accuracy statement wich says that for a 4 shot group each bbls must shoot 10cm groups and the mean point of impact between each bbl must be within 3cm of the point of aim at 100m. In my manual someone has crossed out the 3cm and wrote in pen 7.5cm. My gun would have been at least 2 MOA (after only 2 range sesions) total group size between the 2 bbls if it were not for the vertical fliers caused by the floater bbl. An allan screw or mabey a little shim would have cured that.

Is the rear sight all the way to the right? The 3 rifles that I have seen (mine and 2 pictures) all had the rear sight nearly all the way to the right to get the gun to shoot straight. The fixed bbl needed to be angled inwards a bit more when they were building the monoblock or something.???

I do not remember seeing anything about scope mounts avalible. I do remember soemone else using rimfire rings, can't remember if it worked or not.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there are 2 "common"dovetails,as I have been told.. something like 11 and 13 mm... either event, both are available
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,