THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Can a .410 double be turned into a double rifle plinker???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a .410 double be turned into a double rifle plinker???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
As I was sitting here cleaning an Essex .410 double that my wife just inherited I got the thinking. Yep always dangerous.

I know they make solid brass .410 shells as well as you can form them from a number of rifle cases. They also sell 410 rifled slug ammo. Don't know if you can buy components. Just wondering if it would be possible to load low pressure slugs and fire them from this double? While not new it locks up solid. Maybe put some cheap sites on it. Just something for 25-50yd dangerous mike jugs.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
if i had 1 that i wanted to play with, i'd use a brake cylinder hone to remove any existing choke and get as close to cylinder bore as i could... then weigh some some rifled slugs to get as close to a "factory" 1/2 oz load as possible... load with a slower burning powder like herco....maybe use a felt base wad to seal the bore....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
sleeve in a couple of 22 hornet barrels into the barrel butts, and regulte it, and hunt coyotes with it!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Bore the chokes out, cut it for screw in chokes, get some rifled choke tubes made, extended or flush, and shoot round balls or a forster style slug that engages the rifeling.
Voila .410 Paradox, that would be sweet. clap

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bore the chokes out, cut it for screw in chokes, get some rifled choke tubes made, extended or flush, and shoot round balls or a forster style slug that engages the rifeling.

Well I would need to find a better price that Briley's $459. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Do you have a local smith ?
My local guy can do it and he is very reasonable.

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to the site below, you'll see some photos of a .22 Hornet that I built on a .410 S x S. It worked out VERY well and shoots fine.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...earch=true#Post86251

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about having choke tubes put in it, and then buying a short pistol barrel in .410 (aka stub 41 mag) and have a gunsmith turn them down and thread them to fit? I am having this done to my 10 gauge SxS double. Paradox Rifle from Purgatory.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
f i had 1 that i wanted to play with, i'd use a brake cylinder hone to remove any existing choke and get as close to cylinder bore as i could... then weigh some some rifled slugs to get as close to a "factory" 1/2 oz load as possible... load with a slower burning powder like herco....maybe use a felt base wad to seal the bore...

I would not agree. I would remove the choke bit by bit. It is often the case that some guns will shoot better with just a small amount of choke in them for some reason.

I'd go down to about 1/4 choke which in USA is "improved modified" I think? Then try it. Maybe even start at "modified"?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about having choke tubes put in it, and then buying a short pistol barrel in .410 (aka stub 41 mag) and have a gunsmith turn them down and thread them to fit? I am having this done to my 10 gauge SxS double. Paradox Rifle from Purgatory

Ypu mean a short barrel at the muzzle with a 20'+ jump?
quote:
If you go to the site below, you'll see some photos of a .22 Hornet that I built on a .410 S x S. It worked out VERY well and shoots fine.
Beautiful.
quote:
Do you have a local smith ?
My local guy can do it and he is very reasonable

I'll have to check. You guys are going far beyond shooting rifled slugs down the current barrel. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enfieldspares is dead on the money re the chokes, they can do the exact opposite of conventional wisdom at times. I used to own a drilling whose 12 gauge, 2 1/2"-chambered barrels were choked tighter than a bull's rectum during fly season. Accepted wisdom says that those barrels should have thrown terrible patterns when shooting buckshot. In fact, a left and a right, at 20 yards, would put all 18 pellets of "00" buckshot into a rectangle measuring 9" high by 18" long. Nothing is carved in stone in this game.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I think the idea of choke tubes is a nonstarter. Two places I found said they needed a mim of .505" muzzle dia. My barrels are .49" I would have to take of about 12" of barrel to get to .505".

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Inserting 410 barrels in a 12 gauge seems the best option. 405 win and the updated version of the 400 BPE by necking up 9,3x74 brass.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Inserting 410 barrels in a 12 gauge seems the best option. 405 win and the updated version of the 400 BPE by necking up 9,3x74 brass

LOL yes if I had an old 12ga laying around. Wink I could by EEA 45-70 inserts for my coach gun as well. Heck I'm quickly moving past shooting slugs and looking at a double Hornet. Eeker Anyone had a person to contact about a double Hornet?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Contact these folks!
Shotgun inserts by MCACE

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contact these folks!

Thanks Rusty I had already sent them an email.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Contact these folks!
Shotgun inserts by MCACE

I have several of those adapters around, and also the ones from the guy he bought the business from...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, sounds real good to me, if you say it quickly, Big Grin but two things I have always wondered about are wether old shotgun actions can take the pressure, particularly of rifle caliber sleeved barrels and how do you regulate the barrels?
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GA,

1. you aren't loading them like a 460 Wbee, these are sub-20,000 Psi plinking toys.

2. if you put rifled choke tubes in them with an index mark on the front of the tube and on the connecting rib you can turn them in and out 1/8th turn at a time until the hit close enough to suit you have the modern day budget equivalent of a Paradox Gun.

Three inches and centered at fifty yards, one heckuva big bore.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about having choke tubes put in it, and then buying a short pistol barrel in .410 (aka stub 41 mag) and have a gunsmith turn them down and thread them to fit? I am having this done to my 10 gauge SxS double. Paradox Rifle from Purgatory

Just heard form CowboyCS. Just as I figured the .49 dia barrel is simply to small for an insert. He suggested boring it out and making it a pumpkin ball shooter.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sure that the Outside Diameter is only .490? That leaves a cylinder wall thickness of only .040".

Rich

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You sure that the Outside Diameter is only .490? That leaves a cylinder wall thickness of only .040".

Left side barrel. .4878" right side .4931. Barrel thickness .04-.045". Those barrel are THIN I set my micrometer at the .505 and I would need to back up about 11" from the muzzle. Ok with a bore of .41 looking on the net I get full .39, ImpM .395 Mod .4 Imp .405. Best I can measure I get right barrel imp left mod. Which would make a normal imp/mod double. For some reason I was thinking full was more th norm for a .410.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is one I have seen for sale for the last couple months. I know nothing about it except that I keep seeing it in my weeklyish search for the next thing I "need".

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100050636

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some ammo for ya.
http://www.hoeningbigboresouth.com/index.html

These guys are serious about the .410 tu2

John coffee

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote