THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A Standing Rest For Double Rifles?? What Crap!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Standing Rest For Double Rifles?? What Crap!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Cal,

Very nice standing and sitting rests. Solid like a brick outhouse, in reference to title of this thread. tu2

"I can reload in the basement of my home, walk across the lawn and test fire."

What lawn besides fireweed, willows, and rocks can survive winters there? Wink

You are correct, that is my lawn!
It is so great to live in the rural areas to shoot free, walk the dog without a leash, pee off the front deck, etc…
Bill: pick up was there for some air ventilation holes.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Jorge,

It's the felt recoil off the bench that I find a pita. Sitting tall helps some, but not as much as a standing bench.

The one I use is a steel legged 3" laminated wood topped bench adjustable for height, either sitting or standing. It doesn't move and is a sturdy as a sitting bench. Not very light or portable, though it could be transported from place to place if required.

I have posted a detailed description and directions on making one previously.

JPK

Completely agree on the felt recoil issue. I need to make myslef one of these for our place up in the PA mountains.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Smiler Went and used mine today. Could not be more pleased. As rock steady as open sights can be, and MUCH more pleasant to shoot.

Went to a public range and had to carry the rest down to the end of the line to use. Gad it's made of 2x2's so it's "toteable". No need to post pictures. The only change I made from the original pictures posted at the start of this thread was to use some marker board for the top. Really a lot lighter that way, as opposed to anything else I saw at Home Depot. And the marker board purchased (2' x 4') easily trimmed dow to 2 x 3, with the 12"x15" cutout for a place to stand.

Used the 470 with light loads, with a scope (face is then an inch or so above the cheekpiece - yikes) and with full power loads.

All went well and considerable more able to concentrate on squeezing the trigger to see where it really is shooting at 50 yards.

Highly recommended!

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used mine again today working up handloads. groups weren't as good as I'd like but the rifle was shooting to the sights at 50 yds, and it was VERY comfortable. I can't imagine shooting my 450 NE any other way.

I'm glad my post was helpful.......

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote