THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    We Should All Do As Well At 106 Years Old
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Should All Do As Well At 106 Years Old
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice..... Speaking of frederiksburg, is the cafe at the airport still open? we would stop by there whenever we were flying around back when I lived in texas...

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Patricio, yes, the Hangar Hotel. Restaurant isn't the best we have but the Officers' Club is the best bar in town and the hotel is one of the nicest. Great place for flyboys.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Patricio, yes, the Hangar Hotel. Restaurant isn't the best we have but the Officers' Club is the best bar in town and the hotel is one of the nicest. Great place for flyboys.

I remember the food not being the best, but it was allways a great spot to stop for a couple of hours if we had girls with us, they loved the old time decoration, and the hotel allways treated us great. Frederiksburg is a great little town.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Except where used by professional hunters, I don't find it hard to believe a big-bore db might keep 106 years. They were always expensive and, given proper precautions against mercuric priming and not being left to stupid relos in damp houses, they should be shootable for centuries.

That said, it only takes one week of neglect for it to be all over.

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

That is one fine double...

Looking at the action of that double it looks like the same action Jeffery used for his big bore doubles...

Also the engraving looks like many Jeffery rifles sent to India...

And the rifle shoots like a Jeffery.

If you can, please take a picture of the rearsight, and all its leaves from above.

Then post a picture of the bottom of the action.

Also take a very close look at the ujunderside of the barrels under the forend and see of there is anything stating they are Krupp steel.

Also see if there are any numbers on the barrel foreend hook, or anywhere on the barrels under the foreend.

That double looks like it was made by the same "maker" that made rifles for Jeffery.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

I have stayed there and eaten there. It is a Nice Place...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, Mike! Look forward to seeing it at the range!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Here are some additional pictures. The only number I see around the forearm hook is the serial number shown in the pictures. The steel is Guss Stahl Krupp. As shown in the picture of the bottom of the action, this is a rifle that has enjoyed some carry.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mike

That is one fine double...

Looking at the action of that double it looks like the same action Jeffery used for his big bore doubles...

Also the engraving looks like many Jeffery rifles sent to India...

And the rifle shoots like a Jeffery.

If you can, please take a picture of the rearsight, and all its leaves from above.

Then post a picture of the bottom of the action.

Also take a very close look at the ujunderside of the barrels under the forend and see of there is anything stating they are Krupp steel.

Also see if there are any numbers on the barrel foreend hook, or anywhere on the barrels under the foreend.

That double looks like it was made by the same "maker" that made rifles for Jeffery.

So Tony, based on the pictures, what do you think?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

NE 450 No 2

Are you talking about Leonard with the above comment ?

The rifle does look a bit "Jeffery'ish"
but until I research further, something different about the fences.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:

NE 450 No 2

Are you talking about Leonard with the above comment ?

The rifle does look a bit "Jeffery'ish"
but until I research further, something different about the fences.

Did Jeffery's not make rifles, leaving them in the white so other company's could finsh them off under there own name?

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Alaskaman11,

Actually Jeffery bought completed rifles from such people as Leonard made to the customer's orders. Jeffery like many of the 'name' gun houses was just a "Boutique". A review of their 'day book' bears this out. The rifle Mike has, I believe, is not made by Leonard. It was probably made by Luruer( if I'm reading my copy right?). My friend David Guitar's W. J Jeffery in 475 #2 Jeffery was supplied by Luruer.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always good to know who built the rifle you bought!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
W. J Jeffery 475 #2 Jeffery

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty. There is definitely a familial resemblance.

I took the rifle out again Friday to see if the first target shot with the North Forks was a fluke. No fluke.

Mike

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Have you have been letting Shootaway sight in your rifles again?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Thanks Rusty. There is definitely a familial resemblance.

I took the rifle out again Friday to see if the first target shot with the North Forks was a fluke. No fluke.

Mike, what range, 50 yds?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

All of the targets were shot at the standard distance for shooting elephants . . . 175 yards. Big Grin No, they were both shot at 25 yards.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
And there I was thinking it was another one of your 100 yard offhand targets.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sweet, thanks Mike and again LOVELY rifle!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
And there I was thinking it was another one of your 100 yard offhand targets.

I have not practiced enough or become an accomplished enough shooter to even qualify to attempt to shoot at 100 yards with open sights. It is certainly something I aspire to do one day and yet another reason that I hang on every tidbit of advice George so graciously shares with the rest of us, the great unwashed.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Navy taught Jorge to see and shoot from far away without the aid of Radar

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
The Navy taught Jorge to see and shoot from far away without the aid of Radar

Jorge is a BVR shooter Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
BVR no problem: HARPOON! Although dropping Rockeye on top was a lot more fun!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should have a shoot off between you and
I think TODD ????

Wasn't he a Navy Fast Jet boy ? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a WVA shooter (Without Visual Assistance) because I like to close my eyes right before I pull the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks surestrike. I was wondering what they called my condition Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Should have a shoot off between you and
I think TODD ????

Wasn't he a Navy Fast Jet boy ? Big Grin

And a lot faster than me! He was an F/A-18 driver!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member