THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    We Should All Do As Well At 106 Years Old
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Should All Do As Well At 106 Years Old
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Just thought I would share some pictures of an old war horse. This is a Charles Boswell .500 3 1/4". The rifle was sold on July 23, 1907. It was sold to Mr. H. Turner Esq. I.C.S. (India Civil Service). It was shipped to Mr. Turner c/o P. Over & Sons, Madras, India. I wonder what stories this rifle could tell. It is a little worn, a little tired, but deservedly so after 106 years. That said, I had it out yesterday and it is still getting it done. We should all hope to do as well at 106 years of age!

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
outstanding shooting for her age. Bet that thing schwacked a tiger or two!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Outstanding rifle sir. Loved the Indian Elephant engraving. Is that a 50 yard target? Thank you very much for the show!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Thanks for showing.

BTW - Your gun has a brother over here in Aus,
same maker, same calibre, from memory the same style. Not sure who owns it now though.

I wish I could shoot like that with any rifle !!!

Thanks

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle, and shooting Mike!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic group and great old rifle.

Posts: 2553 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Mike. It's great to know the history of such a gun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great rifle and a good shooting one to boot. I think the odds are against most of us making 106 years of age...much less still functioning at that level of accuracy.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Jorge I have always enjoyed the anthropomorphic styles of the turn of the century engravers..
Hey Alaskaman11 I like your descriptive adjective do you think a brand new VC will "Schwack" a tiger with the same aplomb? jumping

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I am nothing but jealous... dude you need to get a job! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Cool!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I am nothing but jealous... dude you need to get a job! Big Grin

You hiring?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
great shooting,check your pm's.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You hiring?

Sure... application fee just happens to be a Boswell double rifle!

Very nice rifle btw, just where did you dig up that diamond?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am going to sit tight for a little while longer and see what they decide to do on my application at Subway. Then there is always the Walmart greeter position. I will keep the Boswell offer in mind though.

I have had the Boswell for probably three or four years. I kept trying to load 3 1/4" rounds for it and it was a pain due to chamber dimensions and die sizes. I have just started shooting 3" rounds in it and it does not seem to mind. Sort of like shooting .38 Spcl in a .357 or .458 Win Mag in a Lott. Boswell built a stout rifle. This one is very wide through the receiver. Probably one reason it has held up for 100+ years.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I had a 3 1/4" 500 BP / Nitro for Black
and the chambers had been cut from someone
firing 3" shells in it.

If you can work out how to fire 3 1/4" in it,
I would do so as eventually it will erode the chamber and it will have to be a permanent 3".

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I hear you. My guess is that I shoot the rifle 40-50 rounds a year max. Gonna take me a long time to cause any serious issues at that pace. Same would be true for other calibers that will fire smaller rounds I would think, e.g., .38 Spc/.357 Mag, .44 Spc/.44 Mag, .458 Win/.458 Lott.

There is a picture of a Boswell in Graeme Wright's book. Is that the rifle in Aussie you were referring to in your earlier post?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might well be.

In fact, thinking about it, I think it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, gorgeous, beautiful. Nice rifle Mike. Very Nice.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Where did you find the information about the original owner? My 450-400 3 1/4" Boswell is about the same age and I would like to know more about it.

Wal Mart greeter? They said I was not old enough.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I just slipped on a pair of my Velcro sneakers, dabbed on a little essence of mothballs and I was a shoe in at Wally World.

I found a post on the internet several years ago indicating that a fellow by the name of Chris Batha had ended up with the Boswell manufacturing records. I emailed Chris (chrisbatha@aol.com) and he was kind enough to email me the information he had on the rifle. He had who the rifle was sold to, shipped to, when it was sold, original weight, LOP and drop and price. My rifle sold for 30 guineas.

The email correspondence with Chris was in late 2010, so he may or may still have the same email address.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information on the records and interview advice. Essence of mothballs rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
By golly that's nice

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Not enough Es in SWEEEEEEEEET to describe that rifle!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Turner knew what nice rifles are all about! tu2

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is just something to the looks of a British double that makers from other countries can't duplicate.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:

You guys are killin' me!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:

You guys are killin' me!

Had you not spent all of your money on trophy fees in Mozambique you could also be gainfully unemployed.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
At least I have not resorted to trapping nutria, or even worse, serving in the President's cabinet. There is a limit to just how low one should be willing to go regardless of their job situation.

Mike

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had you not spent all of your money on trophy fees in Mozambique you could also be gainfully unemployed.

Touche....

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
gorgeous rifle, Mike beer

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's a wonderful old war horse!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!

BTW the retailer is P.Orr & sons in Madras (now called Chennai). The most famous gun shop in South India until the 1960s.

As a young man I used to visit them regularly to look at a few guns in the cabinet and to buy air rifle pellets. They were primaril a clock maker & repairer who had a gunsmith working there until the early 70s. They no longer deal in guns.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Super nice rifle, doesn't look very worn to me.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
There is just something to the looks of a British double that makers from other countries can't duplicate.

465H&H

Very true! Or at least they won't duplicate it. But I agree, the British double rifle lines are superb!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Super nice rifle, doesn't look very worn to me.

Maybe in today's politically correct climate I should refer to it as being "well seasoned" as opposed to be a little tired . . .

[Forrest, I was in F-Burg with Russell a couple of weeks ago and we swung by your house. Very nicely done. I know you must be enjoying it.]

Mike

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mike, next time knock on the door, we're usually here, or call.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will. I was just helping Russell get a bunch of business-related things done, so I was on his time clock. I would love to have a tour, particularly of that building that looks like a workshop or garage with the big "A" on it. Eeker

On a related topic. Have you ever been in that shop on Main Street, sort of down towards the K-Bob's end of Main that has a sign that says something like, Purveyors of Fine Sporting Arms? If not, wander in there. Go down in the basement. Sheesh, they have a bunch of Dakotas and a number of high end shotguns. Also had Serial No. 1 of the series of Holland & Holland bolt rifles in .375H&H done for the 100th anniversary of the cartridge. They were only asking $100K for the rifle.

Mike

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That would be:

J.E. Cauthen & Sons Ltd.
414 E Main St
Fredericksburg, TX 78624
830-992-3306
www.jecauthen.com

Beautiful shop, like the gun rooms in London (well, maybe a hill country winery!). Great guns, art, antiques, books, Scotch whisky.
Friendliest people in town too, they are from Lubbock, have a ranch on the edge of town.

Congrats to Russell on winning his lawsuit, we were in the room. We'll all go to dinner next time you are here, on me.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That's the place. Some of the artwork is outstanding too.

Sounds good. Maybe you will take me to a nicer place than Catfish Haven like Russell. He pays we go to Catfish Haven, I pay we go to Navajo Grill. What are friends for.

Mike