THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .615 Nitro Light/20-Bore Rifle/RBL Slug Gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.615 Nitro Light/20-Bore Rifle/RBL Slug Gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Pretty cool tape work there.
Now let's see some tinfoil hats
Remember, shiny side out!

Abrasive tin or aluminum foil in my barrels? Eeker

It will just clean em out Wink
A few foil covered balls won't harm anything. Can you measure what a single layer wrap of foil would measure?

boomie,

No. No time allowed for useless exercises. animal
Really, one wrap would be useless, with all the wrinkles to measure, need a dozen wraps, polar and equatorial,
so all the wrinkles, creases and bumps pile up randomly to roll into a roughly round ball.
It would probably produce a 16-bore ball, light jacket on a dense core.

quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
RIP the Saeco lead hardness tester says a wee bit over BHN 11 reading one of my cast 20bore roundball.

Tinker,
Sounds like you and your Saeco are a good BHN tester, right where it is supposed to be for 10/1-lead/tin alloy. I have gotten some good numbers also with the Lee tester that uses a little "pen-microscope" to read the size of the dent pressed into the sectioned bullet by the little steel "ball-point" and reloading press contraption, then read BHN from table of dent size versus BHN. tu2

I have emailed Jeff Tanner about round ball mould. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Tanner in UK is prompt.
He replied today saying that he could ship tomorrow, a .617"-diameter round ball mould for my chosen Lyman#2 alloy. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seasons44,

Thanks for the idea. beer

The latest sabot load for 20-bore double rifle plinking, deer, hogs:

Recipe:
Use any .54-cal muzzle loader conical of appropriate weight, and .540" diameter.
Wrap 1 foot of 1/2" Teflon/PTFE pipe thread sealing tape around it.
Seat the wrapped slug in the ordinary "Orange Duster" 20-gauge shot cup wad.
Sabot payload is 0.625"-diameter when calipers are closed on it over plastic wad at midsection of bullet within.
Voila!
Plastic-skirted "Power Belt" conicals above weigh (without tape):
295 grains (plastic-tipped, jacketed/plated)
348 grains (hollow nose, bare lead)

The little white ball is what a 12" length of the 1/2" wide PTFE tape looks like when wadded. It weighs 2.2 grains.
The "Orange Duster" wad weighs 31.2 grains.
A 16" length of 3/4"-wide PTFE tape weighs 4.4 grains.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
quote:
Originally posted by big will:
Who made Ball&Shot double?and can they be regulated?

JDA-CO:

Good question, and what bore size is that beauty?

To be honest, I am not sure who the maker is. It is unmarked beyond proofs and a serial number. It is a 20ga 3 inch.

It came with regulation targets from Ken Owen. He regulated it to 3 inch brennekes. It is unbelievably accurate. My best groups are about an inch apart and two inches high at 50yds. As you would expect, it patterns to the sights at 30 yards.

I love the gun and it is finished beautifully.

Thank you for your kind words. We have had very positive feedback from others who bought one of the 20 guns extant.

We had these guns custom made to our specification by Akus in Turkey. We have sold out of the 20ga guns but we do have a small number of 12ga guns made to a similar specification only they are ejector guns and the barrels are rust blued. They are similarly accurate with either Rio Brennekes or Green Lightning (Brenneke USA) Brenneke slugs. They can be ordered online via our website whitwortharms.com

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote