Tools

Rules for the NHUYHHADRSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXoNUzAyvk

I believe this video has been posted before. This sums up for me the difference between mechanical perfection and low end doubles that are "good enough". This is why it "functions" better to me. You may not be able to tell the difference in group size or various other criteria but it exists none the less.

I guess this is just something many of us will never agree on. To me, the words "mechanical" and "perfection" do not ever belong together. Nothing mechanical is ever perfect. It's all a matter of tolerances, strength, function, etc. Secondly, if there is no difference in reliability, group size, shooter fitment, strength, etc., then I do not consider one better than the other--just more expensive. Unless perhaps it elevates one's spirit, and if that is the case, no price tag can be put on it.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your right of course.. Nothing is ever mechanically perfect. But it's as close as it gets IMO. Agree to disagree. beer

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
quote:

I believe this video has been posted before. This sums up for me the difference between mechanical perfection and low end doubles that are "good enough". This is why it "functions" better to me. You may not be able to tell the difference in group size or various other criteria but it exists none the less.

I guess this is just something many of us will never agree on. To me, the words "mechanical" and "perfection" do not ever belong together. Nothing mechanical is ever perfect. It's all a matter of tolerances , strength, function, etc. Secondly, if there is no difference in reliability , group size, shooter fitment , strength, etc., then I do not consider one better than the other--just more expensive. Unless perhaps it elevates one's spirit, and if that is the case, no price tag can be put on it.

I think there ARE differences. I believe the detail shown in the H&H video of extensive hand filing, sanding, testing with blackened parts, etc. demonstrates an extreme attention to detail that very definitely does lead to closer tolerances and longer lasting quality under heavy use. On the issue of reliability, I think one must view that issue over a period of time and degree of use. If you do a search here on AR, Sam Rose, who is one of the more informed Double Rifles guys that once graced this forum, has and does own a wide variety of double rifles, including a Sabatti. For quite some time, Sam raved about how his Sabatti shot lights out and was a quality weapon, etc, etc. Sam, is a shooter and as such, put a lot more bullets down those barrels in test and field conditions than the vast majority of DR owners. At some point, his Sabatti basically disintegrated with solder coming apart and other issues. I don't remember them all but you could search for the thread and find it pretty easily I suppose. Anyway, he's had a hell of a time getting Sabatti to address his issues. At the time of his last post on the subject, he had no idea when or if he would get the rifle back and if so, if it would be in functional condition. And looking at that H&H video where they are working with the fitment gun, turning a bolt here, there, etc. to get the gun to exactly match the shooter's body and therefore throw the shot on target as a function of how the gun comes to the shoulder vice how the shooter just aligns the sights to compensate, is the very essence of using a double in the first place. No "off the shelf" stock compromised to fit most people "pretty well" can match that. I'd be a Kreighoff guy for sure if I could find one that the stock fit me. So far, I haven't. In fact, the Chapuis doesn't fit me very well either. Both of those guns have a too high comb for my physical dimensions. For the some reason, the Merkel, with it's greater drop at heel and lower comb, fits me almost perfectly. My VC was custom measured and fits better still. I had a previous VC that was "off the shelf" in 577NE. It had a too short LOP and too high comb as well and didn't fit. Some will find the Sabatti dimensions fit them better than the Merkel. Regardless, a custom build stock WILL fit better.

So yeah, I think there are some very real differences to be noted between the quality of these guns, other than simply how pretty one is vs the other. And I say that, despite some labeling me as an elitist, as a guy who doesn't own any of the upper end rifles. I'm a Merkel, Chapuis, VC kind of guy. Not even Hyem! For me, I see value in a rifle that's "good enough". It works for me. There is a point of diminishing returns in going up the ladder of quality. Not uncommon in other products as well. Take Guitars for example. Gibson is one of premier, top of the line guitar makers (think WR or H&H). They typically start at around $5,000 and go up. Epiphone (think of Chapuis, VC, Searcy), which is now owned by Gibson, will provide you with a guitar that looks identical to the Gibson. You can opt for the same pickups and other hardware that's on the similar Gibson model with the only difference in the end being possibly the tonal quality of the wood the instrument is built with and maybe the feel in the fretting hand of the neck shape/size and fretboard itself. All this for around $700. Play the two guitars and you'll see there IS a difference, although slight enough that only a true professional could really benefit from the performance difference. So you get 90% of the guitar for about 1/8th of the price. Diminishing returns as you go up! You can also buy a "Chibson" made in China, that looks exactly like the Gibson, but starts experiencing "issues" after a couple of years of hard use, all for $150 or so. That law of diminishing returns goes both ways when taken to the extreme!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only own a Merkel and a VC. I don't know where I stand in the"club". I really only want it to funtion well and flatten whatever I am pointing at. If I happen to look good doing it....bonus.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides the guitar part... That's what I was trying to say before I got too lazy to write it all
Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

I guess this is just something many of us will never agree on. To me, the words "mechanical" and "perfection" do not ever belong together. Nothing mechanical is ever perfect. It's all a matter of tolerances , strength, function, etc. Secondly, if there is no difference in reliability , group size, shooter fitment , strength, etc., then I do not consider one better than the other--just more expensive. Unless perhaps it elevates one's spirit, and if that is the case, no price tag can be put on it.

I think there ARE differences. I believe the detail shown in the H&H video of extensive hand filing, sanding, testing with blackened parts, etc. demonstrates an extreme attention to detail that very definitely does lead to closer tolerances and longer lasting quality under heavy use. On the issue of reliability, I think one must view that issue over a period of time and degree of use. If you do a search here on AR, Sam Rose, who is one of the more informed Double Rifles guys that once graced this forum, has and does own a wide variety of double rifles, including a Sabatti. For quite some time, Sam raved about how his Sabatti shot lights out and was a quality weapon, etc, etc. Sam, is a shooter and as such, put a lot more bullets down those barrels in test and field conditions than the vast majority of DR owners. At some point, his Sabatti basically disintegrated with solder coming apart and other issues. I don't remember them all but you could search for the thread and find it pretty easily I suppose. Anyway, he's had a hell of a time getting Sabatti to address his issues. At the time of his last post on the subject, he had no idea when or if he would get the rifle back and if so, if it would be in functional condition. And looking at that H&H video where they are working with the fitment gun, turning a bolt here, there, etc. to get the gun to exactly match the shooter's body and therefore throw the shot on target as a function of how the gun comes to the shoulder vice how the shooter just aligns the sights to compensate, is the very essence of using a double in the first place. No "off the shelf" stock compromised to fit most people "pretty well" can match that. I'd be a Kreighoff guy for sure if I could find one that the stock fit me. So far, I haven't. In fact, the Chapuis doesn't fit me very well either. Both of those guns have a too high comb for my physical dimensions. For the some reason, the Merkel, with it's greater drop at heel and lower comb, fits me almost perfectly. My VC was custom measured and fits better still. I had a previous VC that was "off the shelf" in 577NE. It had a too short LOP and too high comb as well and didn't fit. Some will find the Sabatti dimensions fit them better than the Merkel. Regardless, a custom build stock WILL fit better.

So yeah, I think there are some very real differences to be noted between the quality of these guns, other than simply how pretty one is vs the other. And I say that, despite some labeling me as an elitist, as a guy who doesn't own any of the upper end rifles. I'm a Merkel, Chapuis, VC kind of guy. Not even Hyem! For me, I see value in a rifle that's "good enough". It works for me. There is a point of diminishing returns in going up the ladder of quality. Not uncommon in other products as well. Take Guitars for example. Gibson is one of premier, top of the line guitar makers (think WR or H&H). They typically start at around $5,000 and go up. Epiphone (think of Chapuis, VC, Searcy), which is now owned by Gibson, will provide you with a guitar that looks identical to the Gibson. You can opt for the same pickups and other hardware that's on the similar Gibson model with the only difference in the end being possibly the tonal quality of the wood the instrument is built with and maybe the feel in the fretting hand of the neck shape/size and fretboard itself. All this for around $700. Play the two guitars and you'll see there IS a difference, although slight enough that only a true professional could really benefit from the performance difference. So you get 90% of the guitar for about 1/8th of the price. Diminishing returns as you go up! You can also buy a "Chibson" made in China, that looks exactly like the Gibson, but starts experiencing "issues" after a couple of years of hard use, all for $150 or so. That law of diminishing returns goes both ways when taken to the extreme!

Todd,you dont know anything about rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Todd:
Great minds think alike. I'm currently shopping for a hollow body electric and the Gibson 335 series is my absolute favorite. However, I've looked at Epiphone for the reasons you mentioned.

Shootaway:
You're an absolute Richard Cranium. With posts such as above, it is no wonder why you are the most despised poster here on AR.

Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
George, you should really stick to what you know!

nilly

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
rotflmo yuck

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Todd:
Great minds think alike. I'm currently shopping for a hollow body electric and the Gibson 335 series is my absolute favorite. However, I've looked at Epiphone for the reasons you mentioned.

Shootaway:
You're an absolute Richard Cranium. With posts such as above, it is no wonder why you are the most despised poster here on AR.

Cheers,
Cal

He works hard at it Cal.

Posts: 12096 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What defines that point of diminishing returns varies for each person. I paid $4250 for my Sabatti in 450 NE, and it was adequate as it came from the factory, but up to my standards. It costs $800-$900 to get a DR regulated and reblued. Add another $300-$500 to get the stock fit if you need it. That is an excellent value for a reliable rifle that fits and shoots well, period. I would deninitely expect to spend $800-$1400 on a Sabatti to make it right. That is about what I spend on a Model 70 to make it right.

I don't know about guitars, but I know a bunch about trumpets. The typical artist grade Bb trumpet runs $2000-$2500. My trumpet is a semi custom, built to a Flip Oake's specs by a small American factory and then blue printed by Flip. These trumpets cost around $3500 and for me, they are a significant improvement. The lesser trumpets just do not play as well in any area. There are also super high end trumpets (Monette--also made in a small American factory) that cost $15k and up. They are simply not any better than my horn costing 1/4 as much. In fact, they don't even play as well for me, though you can get all kinds of jeweled ornamentation on them.

So for me the diminishing returns occur when the desired performance level is reached as measured by defined criteria. The most expensive DR I could ever envision buying is a Searcy or a VC. However, given how my Sabatti is shaping up, I don't see the added value by going with with either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:

Shootaway:

Cheers,
Cal

Richard Cranium. Many choices.. jumping
https://www.google.dk/search?q...hhYsCh06OASF&dpr=1.4

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it comes down to just "basics vs frills"...if you removed all the frills from a H&H Royal, such as engraving, case color hardening, exhibition grade wood, etc...you would still be left with a mechanically flawless rifle. A low end double, including my Heym simply does not function like a best quality British double. You pay a lot for the name and quite a bit for the frills, but you still have a whole lot more function that the low end guns have or ever will.

Having owned several British doubles (and more than a few- Austrian,Belgian,French and even a couple of Italian and Russian Doubles and other German DR's) and now 2 Heym DRs -- I do not equate in anyway-the term "low end" with my Heym DRs nor do I see mechanical superiority in my other often much more expensive DRs.

In my opinion as many of you have heard me say-"you may spend more money, but for each dollar spent you cannot buy a better DR than a Heym-".
That is not a jab at the others- just my personal experience.

I would consider none of my British guns- -"mechanically flawless"- in point of fact- one failed miserable at an extremely inopportune time-

As to the Sabbatti- my experience (two-- a 500 and a 450-450) -- neither would hold any better than 6 to 8" at 50yds.
As always-Your milage may vary-

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything mechanical can fail..By "mechanically flawless" I meant they are built with an extreme amount of attention to detail. I like to think Heym makes great rifles. Thats why I bought one but that doesn't make em as good as a H&H or Purdy

Please excuse my spelling..I'm a product of 90's public education

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
quote:
I don't think it comes down to just "basics vs frills"...if you removed all the frills from a H&H Royal, such as engraving, case color hardening, exhibition grade wood, etc...you would still be left with a mechanically flawless rifle. A low end double, including my Heym simply does not function like a best quality British double. You pay a lot for the name and quite a bit for the frills, but you still have a whole lot more function that the low end guns have or ever will.

Having owned several British doubles (and more than a few- Austrian,Belgian,French and even a couple of Italian and Russian Doubles and other German DR's) and now 2 Heym DRs -- I do not equate in anyway-the term "low end" with my Heym DRs nor do I see mechanical superiority in my other often much more expensive DRs.

In my opinion as many of you have heard me say-"you may spend more money, but for each dollar spent you cannot buy a better DR than a Heym-".
That is not a jab at the others- just my personal experience.

I would consider none of my British guns- -"mechanically flawless"- in point of fact- one failed miserable at an extremely inopportune time-

As to the Sabbatti- my experience (two-- a 500 and a 450-450) -- neither would hold any better than 6 to 8" at 50yds.
As always-Your milage may vary-

I was just wondering why did you buy another SabbatTi if the one you already had would not shoot better than that at 50yds-if that is the case?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Biebs:
Todd, that's not coal, but it may look like it when it dries out :-)

[/QUOTE

Jon:

How did you get a replica of Shootaway's brain?

Posts: 12096 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order to never have any association with you, I think I'll change my name to Todd Williams.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2172 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
In order to never have any association with you, I think I'll change my name to Todd Williams.

You take yourself WAY too seriously........

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Cool

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I was just wondering why did you buy another SabbatTi if the one you already had would not shoot better than that at 50yds-if that is the case?

I have not owned a Sabbati-

I was shooting them for other owners with little DR experience- particularly little DR hand loading experience-
Hornady factory loads were used (in addition to handholds) for the groups described in the previous post)

One rifle was returned to the seller after my eval- one was sent to a well known USA DR smith and re-regulated

(the SxS Italian rifles I have owned were Pedersoli & PV. O/U Rifles, Finn Classic and Beretta)

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think there ARE differences. I believe the detail shown in the H&H video of extensive hand filing, sanding, testing with blackened parts, etc. demonstrates an extreme attention to detail that very definitely does lead to closer tolerances and longer lasting quality under heavy use.

On the issue of reliability, I think one must view that issue over a period of time and degree of use. If you do a search here on AR, Sam Rose, who is one of the more informed Double Rifles guys that once graced this forum, has and does own a wide variety of double rifles, including a Sabatti.

For quite some time, Sam raved about how his Sabatti shot lights out and was a quality weapon, etc, etc. Sam, is a shooter and as such, put a lot more bullets down those barrels in test and field conditions than the vast majority of DR owners. At some point, his Sabatti basically disintegrated with solder coming apart and other issues. I don't remember them all but you could search for the thread and find it pretty easily I suppose.

Anyway, he's had a hell of a time getting Sabatti to address his issues. At the time of his last post on the subject, he had no idea when or if he would get the rifle back and if so, if it would be in functional condition.

And looking at that H&H video where they are working with the fitment gun, turning a bolt here, there, etc. to get the gun to exactly match the shooter's body and therefore throw the shot on target as a function of how the gun comes to the shoulder vice how the shooter just aligns the sights to compensate, is the very essence of using a double in the first place. No "off the shelf" stock compromised to fit most people "pretty well" can match that.

I'd be a Kreighoff guy for sure if I could find one that the stock fit me. So far, I haven't. In fact, the Chapuis doesn't fit me very well either. Both of those guns have a too high comb for my physical dimensions. For the some reason, the Merkel, with it's greater drop at heel and lower comb, fits me almost perfectly.

My VC was custom measured and fits better still. I had a previous VC that was "off the shelf" in 577NE. It had a too short LOP and too high comb as well and didn't fit. Some will find the Sabatti dimensions fit them better than the Merkel. Regardless, a custom build stock WILL fit better.

So yeah, I think there are some very real differences to be noted between the quality of these guns, other than simply how pretty one is vs the other. And I say that, despite some labeling me as an elitist, as a guy who doesn't own any of the upper end rifles. I'm a Merkel, Chapuis, VC kind of guy. Not even Hyem! For me, I see value in a rifle that's "good enough". It works for me. There is a point of diminishing returns in going up the ladder of quality. Not uncommon in other products as well. Take Guitars for example. Gibson is one of premier, top of the line guitar makers (think WR or H&H). They typically start at around $5,000 and go up. Epiphone (think of Chapuis, VC, Searcy), which is now owned by Gibson, will provide you with a guitar that looks identical to the Gibson. You can opt for the same pickups and other hardware that's on the similar Gibson model with the only difference in the end being possibly the tonal quality of the wood the instrument is built with and maybe the feel in the fretting hand of the neck shape/size and fretboard itself. All this for around $700.

Play the two guitars and you'll see there IS a difference, although slight enough that only a true professional could really benefit from the performance difference. So you get 90% of the guitar for about 1/8th of the price. Diminishing returns as you go up! You can also buy a "Chibson" made in China, that looks exactly like the Gibson, but starts experiencing "issues" after a couple of years of hard use, all for $150 or so. That law of diminishing returns goes both ways when taken to the extreme!

………………………………………………….. tu2

quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Todd,you dont know anything about rifles.

Todd I don’t think Shit away agrees with you! I know you will be very sad about that!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

Todd I don’t think Shit away agrees with you!

That's a good thing ... right?

holycow

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

Todd I don’t think Shit away agrees with you!

That's a good thing ... right?

holycow

.................................................................. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in Todd's camp on this one. While I can certainly appreciate the level of hand-fitting and craftsmanship that goes into an H&H or similar double rifle, it doesn't, at least to me, warrant a cost 8 to 10 times the price of a fully functional, well-made double like a Verney Carron, Heym, or even a Merkel or K-Gun. I can certainly understand those to whom the price of such quality is worth it.

Posts: 20162 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But just to make sure it's clear to me, even for those here who believe in "good enough", anyone who has a Sabatti--even one that has been built into an accurate and well-fitting rifle--does not belong on this forum and DARE not poke fun at anyone who turns their noses up at low end DRs. I guess I am just not sensitive enough to post here. I should find a church ladies forum. They are much harder to offend....... Smiler Smiler Smiler Smiler

Also, I don't get where Todd thinks anyone has accused him of being elitist on this thread. He has just been accused of being Todd Williams...... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will start of by saying something very politically incorrect. Double rifles are a joke and frivolous. The best can barely shoot with the accuracy of a $300 rifle at walmart and i know people buying $35k plus new guns sending then to a gunsmith to get checked out to make sure they shoot okay. Like Biebs once told me - if they can hit a oil drum at 50 yards its an accurate double. It has very limited uses for ph backing up and in all reality an blaser straight pull 458 lott would be just a good for a ph.

I own a vc 450-400 its the most expensive gun i own. Damn after my house and cars/truck it is the most expensive thing i owm.

Is is something i think of shooting or hunting with as a first choice - no. Maybe it cause i don't reload. I was looking forward to take it to zim when i was going to hunt with the Admiral/subsailor74. I may take it this year if i make it to zim and its not in the rains. Will i buy another double - 50-50 - maybe if i see some nice wood on a vc or hyem in 375 - i would want h&h not flanged as i have ammo and ken busch nicely told me i am an idiot for wanting to by a $15k plus gun in a calibre based on the ammo i have.

But i think most people should own one thing non practical and frivolous that they use. May be a fancy watch, pen, double rifle or something else. It should be durable and last a lifetime. Makes a nice legacy to leave people after you are gone.

My gradma had all this frivolous stuff (art/decorating stuff) i till have. My grand being a practical man had nothing durable - he left behind property capital ect but nothing physical other than documents and pictures. I wish he had bought a double rifle or a fancy watch.

Doubles or guns are pretty durable - good watch or jewelry too. all taxidermy will be irrelevant and gone unless well kept. Same applies to soft stuff - stamps clothes ect.

There are not too many discarded rusted away holland and holland double rifles. As a legacy i can see someone buying one and hopefully banging it up a bit hunting with it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll give several reasons to own a properly regulated 500 NE Sabatti. 1. Take your 80 year old dad on his first African safari. 2. Watch him drop his first cape buffalo in it's tracks. 3. Take the money saved buying a cheap double rifle and watch him shoot another one, with the same result. 4. Have it filmed and review frequently! 5. Then 4 years later, watch him stroke that "POS" double rifle, and smile, back home in Idaho. 6. As they say........"PRICELESS".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14WMSjA49o

Granted, we went through 7 rifles before we found one with untouched muzzles and that was regulated to our liking. In fact, this one will shoot sub 3" groups at 100 yds, with 3 different loads! The guys at Cabela's worked with us, until we found "the one". As it turned out for us, we have no complaints....and really it was fun sorting through all those guns, to find this one. Andy 3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just want to be clear.. I never meant to imply that one should not buy whatever rifle they want. If a sabatti is what you have dreamed of or you found a keeper, then by all means be happy with your purchase and carry it proudly. I was simply pointing out that there is a difference between the lower end guns and bespoke English doubles. They are better in ever way but price. they can have issues just like anything that man builds.... But they are simply the highest end of craftsmanship money can buy. There was a time not long ago that anything more expensive than a Winchester M70 was outta my price range. But that doesn't mean I thought my off the self guns were as good as the best bolt guns money could buy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems very hard to treat this topic in a humorous manner on this forum.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also, I don't get where Todd thinks anyone has accused him of being elitist on this thread. He has just been accused of being Todd Williams...... Smiler

Not sure THAT's a good thing!

Whistling

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just want to be clear.. I never meant to imply that one should not buy whatever rifle they want. If a sabatti is what you have dreamed of or you found a keeper, then by all means be happy with your purchase and carry it proudly. I was simply pointing out that there is a difference between the lower end guns and bespoke English doubles. They are better in ever way but price. they can have issues just like anything that man builds.... But they are simply the highest end of craftsmanship money can buy. There was a time not long ago that anything more expensive than a Winchester M70 was outta my price range. But that doesn't mean I thought my off the self guns were as good as the best bolt guns money could buy.

tu2 On all accounts!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I will start of by saying something very politically incorrect. Double rifles are a joke and frivolous. The best can barely shoot with the accuracy of a $300 rifle at walmart and i know people buying $35k plus new guns sending then to a gunsmith to get checked out to make sure they shoot okay. Like Biebs once told me - if they can hit a oil drum at 50 yards its an accurate double. It has very limited uses for ph backing up and in all reality an blaser straight pull 458 lott would be just a good for a ph.

Mike

What was that said about there being no humor in this thread. I find this hilarious!

animal animal animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

What was that said about there being no humor in this thread. I find this hilarious!

animal animal animal animal

Todd

Please bring your fancy double and I will bring my blaser and we will have a shoot out. I might use Biebs as a life line.

Damn I just realized I don't have a Blaser and my cheap ruger has been Biens life line. You win Cool

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, no worries. With your optional 30 round magazine, you're bound to hit something!!!

Posts: 20162 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not sure THAT's a good thing!

Whistling

Yeah but you really need to OWN being Todd Williams. Become one with yourself... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, no worries. With your optional 30 round magazine, you're bound to hit something!!!

Butch told me if there is lead in the air there is always hope. Why i hate doubles - can't spray the lead and pray and hope. Same with that damn blaser with the detachable tigger contraption.

You just jealous of my marksmanship and offhand shooting skills Biebs.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, those Black Spruce trees were dropping like flies on our Alaska hunt!!! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Cool
Don't worry about the card count this year Todd. I will send you one, but it might come postage due...

It's good to have friends!

Todd

With friends like us---You don't need enemies.

sofa

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

Yes, those Black Spruce trees were dropping like flies on our Alaska hunt!!! :-)

Biebs

I bet you fib and tell all your country club cronies you shot the moose in alaska with your 10k blaser. But you know I killed it for you with a $700 ruger Cool It was killed at 570 yards and found less than 20 yards from My final shot. Also Biebs shooting a dead animal to show a 300 win mag bullet and digging an hiding a real caliber bullet in 375 is just so wrong Wink

Did I shoot more than a few rounds - yes. I needed to make sure the gun functioned and cycled properly. Same way as the high end double rifle shooter always shoot 2 rounds -both barrels - too make sure they dont wear out one barrel.

Mike

Hey Biebs

Your retard and unethical blaser buddy Larry Kolek who also specializes in booking hunts for discounts sent me a PM accusing me of illegal killing for moose.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But 30 rounds? :-) You're right, though, the Moose dropped 20 yards from your last shot.....the tree almost hit him when it fell :-)