Thoughts on the 450/400?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Too close to 450NE to make having both worthwhile? Confused

Too much for whitetails, black bear, African plains game? Eeker

Inadequate for whitetails, black bear, African plains game? Wink

Empty spot in the safe while waiting patiently for my 600NE.

Doing my best to resist the urge ... but it's like being at a wedding 3 hours after eating a whole plate of black beans ... some things are simply unavoidable. You just pray the distractions will keep others from noticing ... or you can blame it on someone else ... rotflmo

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Too close to 450NE to make having both worthwhile? Confused

Too much for whitetails, black bear, African plains game? Eeker

Inadequate for whitetails, black bear, African plains game? Wink

Empty spot in the safe while waiting patiently for my 600NE.

Doing my best to resist the urge ...

"Too close to 450NE to make having both worthwhile? Confused"

NOT A GOOD REASON TO STOP YOU FROM BUYING ANOTHER DOUBLE
- and it's wrong !!!!

"Too much for whitetails, black bear, African plains game? Eeker"
CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH GUN - or FUN !!!

"Inadequate for whitetails, black bear, African plains game? Wink"
PLENTY ADEQUATE

"Empty spot in the safe while waiting patiently for my 600NE."
NOW WE ARE TALKING !!! LOL

"Doing my best to resist the urge ..."
GIVE UP NOW, DON'T TRY TO RESIST, IT WILL JUST TIE YOU IN KNOTS.

That's just my HO !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Doc, you will love one. The recoil is lots less then the 450 3.25 inch. That is why so many guys like them very easy recoil.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have owned my 100 year old, vintage A. Hollis & Sons 450/400 for 14 years. It's still great fun to shoot. Small enough to hunt hogs, & Axis deer and big enough for whatever steps out of the long grass.

The new Searcy and Heym 450/400 3 inch rifles with 26" barrels are not only well made, they are beautiful!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have a FAMARS 450/400 on the way with 26in barrels. After shooting one awhile I can think of no better caliber to hunt with from elephant on down. Very shootable, and easy to handle. At 10lbs a joy to carry to boot!!!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450/400 with a nice 1x4 in QD mounts and the 450 with open sights.....what's wrong with that combo? Of course, the 450/400 is probably a great single gun safari.....

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The nicest wood I have seen one to date is at the Boise Cabela's. 2KuduHunter and a friend and I drooled all over one this afternoon.
Ejectors, $5500.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
More pleasant to shoot than the .450.

Less meat destruction on whitetails and black bear than the .30 caliber magnums.

Plus (and most important) the .450-400 is way cool!

Because of my old eyes I mounted a Swarovski 1 1/4-4x 30mm on my Harrison and Hussey ble and have taken lion, leopard, hippo, croc, a dozen plains game; and caribou here in AK. And, my rifle has a great history, too (google Douglas Jardine)

Buy one!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you plan to run its orginal ballistics?
if so, check what bullets are available and impact velocities.

a woodleigh sp 400gr .423" with a MV of 2100fs will reach the minimum impact velocity at 80m.
(yes, i know the 450/.400 don't use a .423", but it serves as an example).

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen:
do you plan to run its orginal ballistics?
if so, check what bullets are available and impact velocities.

a woodleigh sp 400gr .423" with a MV of 2100fs will reach the minimum impact velocity at 80m.
(yes, i know the 450/.400 don't use a .423", but it serves as an example).

Stefan

How do you work out the 80 metres ?

That's loosing 200 - 300 fps in 80 metres ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take a .450/400 over a .450 NE anyday- one of the great african rounds. Recoil is moderate (less felt recoil than many .375's I've fired) and so folk shoot it well and it puts a deep penetrating bullet down range at the optimal velocity for the woodleighs to really perform...what is there not to like about it?

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
I'll take a .450/400 over a .450 NE anyday- one of the great african rounds. Recoil is moderate (less felt recoil than many .375's I've fired) and so folk shoot it well and it puts a deep penetrating bullet down range at the optimal velocity for the woodleighs to really perform...what is there not to like about it?

Silly boy.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a sissy caliber!

No,it's a fine caliber for about everything except if ele's are ALWAYS on your African menu to hunt. Not that it won't tip over a pacaderm but it's not the best choice for the job. The recoil is mild and probably the best DR caliber one could take to the range for 30+ shot sessions. I'd love to have one but my nice little 88B Heym in 375 that weights 8 lbs does a fine job of filling that spot and cost much less to shoot.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd love to have one but my nice little 88B Heym in 375 that weights 8 lbs does a fine job of filling that spot and cost much less to shoot.

You are a very fortunate man. I should have kept mine. A 9.5 to 12 lb. 450/400 is a boat anchor.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450-400 is a wonderful cartridge. I have a Webley action London gun in 450-400 3 1/4 and it will be the last double I get rid of. It weighs around 10 lbs and is perfectly balanced. Have shot several whitetails with it and would like to take it to Africa some day. It is the finest shooting double I have shot. It will shoot under an inch at 50 yards if I do my part. It will shoot 300 and 400 grain bullets in the same group. I have also used 41 magnum 210 grain bullets in it for plinking. A joy to shoot. The only advantage a 450 has over it is bullet availability.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
The only advantage a 450 has over it is bullet availability.

Sam

Are you talking about availability or different bullet weights ?

Re availability, only for those that can't pick up a pick up a phone and order them.

Bullets have been readily available for the 450/400 for years, has never been a shortage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just meant that there are so many .458 bullets around to shoot cheaply and so many different weights. Yes you can order most any bullet you want for a 400. My gun is .408 groove so less choices.

Sam

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If Sabatti/Cabelas would make their 7.2 pound rifle with ejectors in .375 Flanged Magnum, all would be right with the world! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
If Sabatti/Cabelas would make their 7.2 pound rifle with ejectors in .375 Flanged Magnum, all would be right with the world! Smiler

yuck especially as I know you don't belive anything under .577 is suitable for duiker let alone Elephant

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just meant that there are so many .458 bullets around to shoot cheaply and so many different weights. Yes you can order most any bullet you want for a 400. My gun is .408 groove so less choices.

Sam

.408 doesn't limit you to just .408, you can shoot .410 / .411 bullets in it.

I can understand the cheap side of it, but we are talking DR's
which does limit to an extent the bullet weights you can use anyway.

And just how much shooting do you really do ?

You still have quite a few to use - Woodleigh, Hornady, NF
and that is just for starters of the top of my head.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
You still have quite a few to use - Woodleigh, Hornady, NF for starters.

And Swifts. And probably others.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
ccmdoc

it is the best allround caliber in the double rifle world, except off course the 12 bore Wink
the recoil is very nice and the tractory of the bullet, makes it the big brother of the 375 H&H in most cases, if you have it scoped it will actually be the gun you will keep chosing for when you are out walking your rifle in africa.
just remember to make the mounts a QR option.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
quote:

yuck especially as I know you don't belive anything under .577 is suitable for duiker let alone Elephant

If it's bigger than a duiker, I'll be using my 600NE double anyway shocker

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will,

When I win the Searcy raffle, that is exactly the caliber I will request! beer

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just meant that there are so many .458 bullets around to shoot cheaply and so many different weights.
Sam

Exactly the reason that I picked up a Sabatti in 450NE. I have a 450 Marlin and 45/70 so already have plenty of projectiles with which to play.
Of course now I have yet more reason to buy even more variations on the 458 theme tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thoughs -ya'll have just made up my mind. I was looking at either a .375 or a 416. The 450/400 was interesting but I didnt know much about it. Looks like it will make a great match with my .338WM Alaskan. Thankseven though I didnt start this thread I learn a lot from following along.
jumping

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
CrossL,
Come donw to the Hoot and Shoot October 23rd. There will be plenty of doubles to shoot including my 450/400 3 inch. Try one see if ya like it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to stir stuff up about bullets. The are just a lot of different types of .458 bullets out there and some were really cheap at one time.

The 450-400 is a great cartridge and will shoot lots of different bullets including 41 magnum pistol bullets. So there! Like I said my 450-400 will be the last gun I sell.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post

My new Searcy 450-400 feild grade double. A pictures worth a thousand words.

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, that is a long pencil you have !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:

Sam

500N,

I had a PH ask me if I was familar enough with my 470 to handle it OK one time. I told him I had shot it over 400 times and I think I was. I've shot my doubles a LOT!
Shot a lot of other peoples too!
Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Thanks for the invite, If I am not shipping cattle then I will try to make it down. Where can I find more info on Hoot and Shoot?

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cross L,

Here is a link to the Hoot & Shoot Thread on this forum. If you need any other information my email addy is on my profile.

October 23rd, Hoot and Shoot!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty

Thanks

SSR

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
450-400 is a wonderful cartridge. I have a Webley action London gun in 450-400 3 1/4 and it will be the last double I get rid of. It weighs around 10 lbs and is perfectly balanced. Have shot several whitetails with it and would like to take it to Africa some day. It is the finest shooting double I have shot. It will shoot under an inch at 50 yards if I do my part. It will shoot 300 and 400 grain bullets in the same group. I have also used 41 magnum 210 grain bullets in it for plinking. A joy to shoot. The only advantage a 450 has over it is bullet availability.

Sam

I shot a clay target on the bank with that rifle!

Sam i thought that was going to become my first DR soon!!! Big Grin Damn now i have to wait until i am 100 years old to lay my hands on it Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
450-400 is a wonderful cartridge. I have a Webley action London gun in 450-400 3 1/4
Sam

Who's name is on it ?

2 out of my 4 are Webley Long bar actions, they are great guns.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:

Sam

500N,

I had a PH ask me if I was familar enough with my 470 to handle it OK one time. I told him I had shot it over 400 times and I think I was. I've shot my doubles a LOT!
Shot a lot of other peoples too!
Sam

Given your collection of DRs along with Corbin's & others you must be shooting over 500 rounds a year through the DRs.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have both and they are not close. Especially in recoil. I have not shot any real DG with them, though. Just hogs. Yes, .40 cal bullets are more $ than some .458s (not DGS/DGXs) but it is much easier to shoot. I can't get my .450 regulated yet with 350 grainers. yet.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N, It is a London Sporting Park and Nakihunter has tried to talk me out of it but it ain't going to happen anytime soon!

dpcd, I have several good loads for 300 to 405's and I'll look them up for you. Try the same powder charge that works with a heavier bullet. This usually works perfect!