Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the 450/400?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did; the Hornady 350s cross fire 3 inches at 50 yards with the load that shoots 480s into 1.5 inches or less; 82 grains of 4250.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I did; the Hornady 350s cross fire 3 inches at 50 yards with the load that shoots 480s into 1.5 inches or less; 82 grains of 4250.

How does it shoot 400gns ?

Also, did you modify the load for the 350's
once you found them cross firing ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just try some 3oo grain bullets. They should shoot close to the same POI as the 400 with same charge. It really works!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 450-400 3 1/4 loves 73 grs RL-15 with a 300. Try reducing your charge by 2 grains at a time until they come together. Also 82 grs of 4350 sounds a little hot. My gun regulates perfectly with 75 grs 4350 with 400 gr. It also regulates with 81.5 grs of 4831with 400 gr.

Sorry we were talking about a 450 weren't we.
OK the 450's I've worked with liked 84 grs RL-15 and 300 or 350 gr. They liked 93 imr4831 with 405 gr.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Srose

Here are the photos you sent.

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Michael for posting them for me. I still haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Sam

You are welcome. I will go over it with you when I have more time and sort you out on the photos. It's easy. Took me awhile to sort it out too.

M

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Michael, Thank you again!

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Ooooh!!!! I am in love....again...!!!

That rifle handled better than any woman in my arms! Even if it was just one day and a few shots.....

Thanks Sam for the experience ...and the Blueberry wine!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,I knew that would get your attention!

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
srose,

There will be a number stamped on the inside left of the forearm loop. If you'll post or pm that number I'll be able to give you a good idea of the year it was made. The number is small and hard to see.

That number is Webley's serial number and will usually but not always be different from the retailer's serial number. For example, my Evans retailed Webley built guns have the Evans numbers engraved on the tang but my Manton retailed Webley has the Webley # as its serial number.

On early guns the Webley number is on the short rib.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470 Evans, Thanks I'll look at that and see what I find.

Sam

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I’d say the double rifle that I wish I still owned was an Army & Navy 450/400NE 3” extractor rifle built on a Webley action. I absolutely loved that rifle. I could almost shoot that rifle blindfolded it fit me so well. My rifle weighed in at just under 10 pounds with 26” barrels, and balanced perfectly. Will likes sheep hunting rifles and thinks 10 pounds is too heavy for a 450/400 double. I disagree, it is about perfect of any double rifle from 375 up through the .450s Hell most of my bolt rifles from 338 win mag up are in the 10 pound range.

If I had to live with only two double rifles for everything in the world, they would both be box lock rifles, one chambered for 450/400NE 3” fitted with QD scope bases, and two, flip-ups, 50 and 100 yds and the other a 500NE with standing sight cut for 25 yds, and a flip-up cut for 100 yds!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
OK the 450's I've worked with liked 84 grs RL-15 and 300 or 350 gr. They liked 93 imr4831 with 405 gr.[/quote]
Yes, I am not sure how my .450 got into this; probably need another thread. Anyway, 500N, I have not tried 400s nor have I done any more work on it. I want to use 350 Hornadys. I will try the RL15 and 4831 loads. Srose; Thanks for the info.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

My question is why is this thread titled: "Thoughts on the 450/400?"

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

My question is why is this thread titled: "Thoughts on the 450/400?"

Because I asked if it were worthwhile to get one given that I already have a 9.3x74R Chapuis, a 450NE Sabatti and a 600NE Verney-Carron. Big Grin I got some great answers and advice and as is usually the case, someone flipped the switch and the train took an unexpected rail off the cliff. coffee

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's right here for you:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043/m/8691079041

UNLESS you must have an old Brit made rifle, an obsession of mine...

(...ala: http://forums.accuratereloadin...=856108469#856108469 )

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone here explain to me why Hornady only loaded their ammo at 2050 fps. What can they safetly and accurately be loaded to in a modern DR.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Can someone here explain to me why Hornady only loaded their ammo at 2050 fps. What can they safetly and accurately be load to in a modern DR.

Because the majority of DR's in the calibre will regulate at that speed
- and probably duplicating Kynoch's true velocity.

A hell of a lot more older DR's in 450/400 out there than new one's.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Can someone here explain to me why Hornady only loaded their ammo at 2050 fps. What can they safetly and accurately be load to in a modern DR.

Because the majority of DR's in the calibre will regulate at that speed
- and probably duplicating Kynoch's true velocity.

A hell of a lot more older DR's in 450/400 out there than new one's.

Yeah, because that 2050 ft/s number is in 24" barrels. If you extrapolate that up to the original 30" barrels, the velocity may be about the original 2125 ft/s, if not more.

So Hornady is trying to load the ammo to original specs I would suspect.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Yeah, because that 2050 ft/s number is in 24" barrels. If you extrapolate that up to the original 30" barrels, the velocity may be about the original 2125 ft/s, if not more.

So Hornady is trying to load the ammo to original specs I would suspect.

And now if the Hornady brass I have on order finally gets off "backorder" and gets delivered, I can go about cooking up some loads that duplicate that and work up and down the velocity range from there.

Then I can shoot it in the Sabatti 450/400DR I just picked up Big Grin

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great move Doc; I bet you won't regret it!

Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Paul, did you say you need a box or two of Hornady brass? I have two I can loan you until yours gets in.

Email your snail mail addy to me at rkmojo@aol.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Paul, did you say you need a box or two of Hornady brass? I have two I can loan you until yours gets in.

Email your snail mail addy to me at rkmojo@aol.com

That is very genrous and kind of you, Rusty - I truly appreciate it.

Email sent,

Paul

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than all that stuff you wrote, the 450-500 is one of the nicest DR calibers out there and everyone that uses one is sold...It does not have the power of a 450-3.25 however as you state, the 450-3.25 is in the .470 or 458 class of rifle. The 450-400 is a 416 Rem or 404 "short" or loaded down to minimum. Smiler Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Loaded up a bunch of these beauties with RL-15 foam filler and a mix of 400 grain Hornady DGX and 300 grain Hornady SP.

Next day off is October 16th so the plan is for Mr. Sabatti 450/400 to take a ride with me and Mr. Oehler35P to Beaver Dam Road outside of Ellenville and increase the Pb concentrations of a certain dirt berm.

Newly scoped (Leupold 2-7x) Chapuis 9.3x74R as well as Mr. Sabatti 450NE may join the fun.

Thanks again Rusty tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hope it all works out for you!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!