THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    FALL 2010 HOOT N SHOOT, DRSS-ARBBA Updated with Pictures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FALL 2010 HOOT N SHOOT, DRSS-ARBBA Updated with Pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Proclaim it through your hosts that on October the 23rd of 2010, from 10 AM- 2 PM, in the hamlet of Juliff, Texas the not so Royal and Ancient Double Rifle Shooters Society in association with the AccurateReloading.com Big Bore Association will hold their Semi-Annual Shoot and Hoot - 2010 .

The entry fee, payable when you check in, is $15.00 US. If you just show up to visit and eat lunch that's just fine, the same $15.00 US fee applies. A modest barbecue lunch of brisket with beans and potato salad will be served. Bring your own drinks! No alcohol allowed on the range! Any funds left over after covering the cost of the shoot will be donated to our host facility Bayou Rifles, Inc.

We would like to thank Bayou Rifles for allowing us to use their facility again this year. Please remember that we are guests!

This is a rifle match only. Double rifles, bolt trash, lever actions, trap doors, pump action and single shots rifles may be used. Black powder cartridge rifles are welcome. No muzzle loading rifles. Due to facility rules the following calibers can not be used, 50 BMG, any cartridge based on the 50 BMG, 408 Cheytac or 338 Laupua. Bring your own eye and ear protections. Both are required to shoot in the event. Bring a chair!

We would ask those attending to please bring extra ammo so others, if they wish, may shoot your rifle under your supervision, to "try it out".
As we did last year, there will be tables set up to display your rifles. This is not a gun show. Tables are for display only.

The event can handle up to 50 shooters.

Course of Fire-

Stage 1- Shooter, standing, will fire 6 rounds from covered firing line at a bull's eye type target at 25 yards, for accuracy and time. In case of a tie there will be a two round shoot off.

Stage 2- Shooter standing, firing from the covered firing line will engage 2, 1 quart sized DWJ (Dangerous Water Jugs) on a wooden stand at 25 yards . .. A speed event. In case of a tie there will be a shoot off.

Awards, if any to be decided at a later date.
(though used primers will be available for lower placed finishers!)

We all had a great time last year. We look forward to seeing and having fellowship with old and new friends alike again this year.
This event is all about having a good time!

The range is located on Juliff/Manvel Road between Texas 288 south and FM 521. Coming south on 288 look for the turn off to County Road 57 West. It is the second exit on 288 south of Highway 6.I will post a map.

GPS coordinates of the range are-
N 29 27.2005, W 95 27.002

Google Map of BRI Juliff, TX

That is all from Houston at this time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dukescav
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Would love to attend if my work schedule and school will allow. If I get there, I will have $15 US in my pocket and if there is still an opening on the firing line, would love to sling lead downrange.

Posts: 47 | Location: Houston | Registered: 07 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A modest barbecue lunch of brisket with beans and potato salad . This for those of you who consider a 3,000 calorie plate modest dancing

This is simply a Damn fine show... I hope to be there.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i'll be there...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Frowner
I know you guys will have fun. Wish I could be there. CRYBABY

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha! There IS room to park a Big Truck! And a CIRCLE driveway, too! I'll see what I can do.....

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim R and I will come up from New Orleans

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
JD, Kim, Jim we'll be glad to see you.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just a bump to rmind y'all about the Hoot & Shoot!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,

Given an unfortunate chain of events, it looks like I will be in attendance. A good ending to a tough month.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rats. I fly out tomorrow for a month in Kazakhstan. Maybe next time.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would anyone happen to be bringing a chronograph?

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be glad to bring one. Bob

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Got all the ends, dad

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's why YOU ARE DA BUBBA! Always got me covered!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I hope yall have a successful shoot! I had planned on coming but we booked a last minute hunt and need to stay home and play with the wife and kids to be sure my kitchen pass is adequate for 12 days! I will be looking forward to lots of pictures!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jst made it home from the shoot...it was certainly a hoot.

Thanks to Rusty and everyone else involved in hosting the event. Lots of fun, friends, comeraderie and good shooting of fine rifles. What could be better.

Can't wait till the Spring shoot!

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a good time thanks guys. Its a long drive back to New Orleans, I found out that 3 rounds of the 750 gr/ 550mag, 20 full house rounds of 470 would help with the drive back. I would feel tired, all I had to do was rub my shoulder, I would be good for another hour.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear everyone had a good time, and wish I could have made it down. My wife fell and broke her right arm just below the shoulder, and she can't even get dressed or undressed without my help. I told her she could come along and I'd let her shoot my 470NE double to see if her shoulder was still sore. She refused, but I can't understand why, I thought Cajuns were tougher than that! Guess not!

....................Glad you guys had a good shoot!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
we had a good time today, thanks to Bayou Rifles' for their hospitality and hosts... good to see old friends and meet new ones..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys had a good time!

Mac I hope the Missus heals pronto. Best wishes to her (and you) Smiler

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Another wonderful time was had by all! Best of all was getting to see a great bunch of folks.

Two observations-

1. I haven't shot little 22 Hornet double rifle that Bailey made, enough!

2. After watching the guys shoot JD's 505 Gibbs, I don't think I want to shoot it! Man, that cannon ROARS!

Thanks to Jeffe, Bob, Mike, Jim, and the rest of the guys for pitching in and helping!

Already looking forward to seeing y'all in April!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was not my 505, that was Harry's 550 shooting 750 gr jacked softs. It is a step up from the 505 to say the least. What level of recoil and enegery is that beast produceing.

It must have weighed about 11.5 to 12 lbs and I think he said 2450 fps. The stock was a little short for me and my thumb got my cheek two of the three time I shot it. I was able to keep control and eject the spent round and get back on target quick enough I would hunt with it. It is just a little slower than my 505 or the 470. I can't see anything standing up to the muzzel blast at 10 yard, it alone would be painfull and damageing.

My shoulder is a little tender today ( 30 round of 470 on thursday , 20 or so at the shoot and hoot, the 3 round of 550 and 2 of jeffe's 470 ar.)I might be getting soft.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
iirc, harry's 550 is shy of 10# ... i forget how much shy, but bashful at least ...

my 470 with the 400gr turnball/barnes in it was using puppy loads .... not enough pressure to burn the h335 clean ... you can load that up to nasty!

goodness, i enjoy these shoots

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
iirc, harry's 550 is shy of 10# ... i forget how much shy, but bashful at least ...

my 470 with the 400gr turnball/barnes in it was using puppy loads .... not enough pressure to burn the h335 clean ... you can load that up to nasty!

goodness, i enjoy these shoots

It was a lot of fun. How much recoil and energy is that? 750 gr bullet in a 10 lb rifle at 2400 fps.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Sure missed shooting with you guys.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing you in Dallas, Mike!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
so guy's

where are the pictures, at least one of you brought a camera, please show and tell, a bit for those of us who did not fly acros the globe to participate.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Berit's son was taking pictures.

Perhaps there is an album in the works?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
What happened to the pics????

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
What happened to the pics????

I hope they are lost for ever, you guys would have too much fun watching me double my 470 chapruis. The 550 felt a whole lot more than 2 at a time with the 470!

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Eric, Berit's son here are some pictures from the H&S.

Looking forward to seeing y'all in the Spring!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!