THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New HEYM "Jaeger" Double Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HEYM "Jaeger" Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Paul, do you remember the price diff on the sears? You can PM me if you want.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind posting if I remembered but I don't and it was a few years back. When I get home sometime tomorrow night I'll look and if found, I'll post it here.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What exactly are intercepting sears and how could one tell by examining a double if they are present?

I've been curious about this for some time. Thanks.

Posts: 179 | Location: Andromeda Galaxy | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I under stand some of these posts here correctly.

A Heym rifle without ejectors is $2000.00 less.

A VC rifle without Ejectors is only $325.00 less...

So by my math, Heym gives you a better price break if you for go ejectors...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Let me see if I under stand some of these posts here correctly.

A Heym rifle without ejectors is $2000.00 less.

A VC rifle without Ejectors is only $325.00 less...

So by my math, Heym gives you a better price break if you for go ejectors...

Glass half full / half empty!! My take is Heym charges too much to add ejectors. IE. VC charges $325 for ejectors; Heym charges $2,000 for ejectors. Always more than one way to look at it I suppose!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,

I'm almost afraid to weigh in here. My take is simple; the Heym double rifle in any configuration is a classy gun, extremely well-regulated, appropriate weight for cartridge, and can be configured to meet one's standards.

I do think they are a little over-priced for what is included. But that's just me. Others will differ. I would love to own a Heym in .450 at 9.5-10 lbs. As Danny DeVito said, "Money talks and b.s. walks." I like Chris and I like Heym, I just think they're a little over-priced.

A Heym entry level DR for $10,000 seems about right. Not $13,000.

By the way, I've shot several Heyms and I love them. The regulation is as good as any DR in history with the possible exception of Searcy.

We are lucky to have so many choices now in the $8500-$15,000 range for a DR. Thanks to Heym, Merkel, Chapuis, Kreighoff, etc for making it easier for many of us to own a DR.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Thanks to Heym, Merkel, Chapuis, Kreighoff, etc for making it easier for many of us to own a DR.
+1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Wilde:
What exactly are intercepting sears and how could one tell by examining a double if they are present?

I've been curious about this for some time. Thanks.

http://www.hallowellco.com/intercepting_sear.htm

in a nutshell. It's a lever that physically blocks the hammer from falling until the trigger is pulled.

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Now see, if you would just buy a Krieghoff or a Blaser, you wouldn't have to worry about intercepting sears sofa

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
or a Blaser,

In German internet forums we read the story that Blasers double, the S 2, will go out of production in the near future...

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd:

PM sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just got the official word on the price of Intercepting Sears from VC.

$1,250 for Intercepting Sears
$2,500 for Intercepting Sears AND Stalking Safety

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of the commercial about the $6.00 haircut.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

Chris,
I don't think I've seen that - what's the gist of it?

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

Chris,

Doc: I can address the six dollar haircut analogy as I've been getting those for many years whilst I was on active duty and with a little help from Confucious (a picture's worth a thousand words)it goes something like this: More expensive haircuts must be better than six dollar ones because they cost more.....

And for those who like pictures:

http://www.chrissells.com/gunpics/heym_target_a.jpg
http://www.chrissells.com/gunp...m_target_a.jpg[/url]

Or someone a lot smarter than me put it this way:

"There are two ways of trying to make yourself look good. The first way is simply by being good(As NO DOUBT both Heym and VC are). The second is trying to make someone else look bad. The latter usually succeed in making themselves look like asses in the long run."

jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yea, the term "haircut" does seem to be appropriate here, considering it costs about $6K to finish the gun! Cool

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

Chris,

That cost is only one variable, but a lot of buying emphasis is put on what is least expensive.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to upset you Jorge, and we appreciate your service to our country.

I think you've made the perfect purchase decision because you are happy with it. In the end, that's all that really matters; that you are happy with how you spent your money.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Yea, the term "haircut" does seem to be appropriate here, considering it costs about $6K to finish the gun! Cool

Which gun?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't mean to upset you Jorge, and we appreciate your service to our country.

I think you've made the perfect purchase decision because you are happy with it. In the end, that's all that really matters; that you are happy with how you spent your money.

Chris: If I'm not on fire, or I have gooks in the wire, nothing really upsets me much anymore (I take that back, idiots that vote democrap do), but your "haircut" comment was in my view, aside from being flat wrong, not nessesary. I visited your both many times as well as the rest of the other GREAT double rifle makers. You have a great product and so does Verney-Carron...

Edited to add: After reading Todd's last post, which I totally agree with, any insinuation there's an ounce of difference in quality between a VC or a Heym is seriously delusional...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Which gun?

PH to Safari. I know the Heym 88-B PH is a fine gun. No doubts about it at all Chris. But the gun looks unfinished to me. To properly finish it, you have to jump to the "Safari" which cost $6,000 more.

This has actually gone further than I wanted to take it Chris because I like you and the Heym guns. I got on this thread in the first place because folks were throwing around $2K for ejectors and $3K for Intercepting Sears when in fact they just don't cost that much to add to the guns. If people are willing to pay that for them to have the name, who the hell am I to say otherwise?

I was just trying to provide some perspective as to cost and price as I thought you were trying to offer a Heym gun that better competes with the entry level guns. No doubt that your Jaeger will be a fine rifle as it has the internals that made the name, but at $13,000, it is really competing with VC, not Merkel and Kreighoff. And if you are competing with VC, the Jaeger as described isn't offering the options and aesthetics that are available in the VC lineup.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
So- really this is like-

Mercedes or BMW
vs
Peugeot or Renault

All build cars in various similar sizes/types-

but with differences- in features and engineering-

German engineering and production-
vs
French engineering and production-

The market chooses-

So-

we get a choice--

Sounds great to me

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
See my post above, you know the delusional part, that way you'll make more sense when you follow that logic with British made doubles, you know they build British cars or maybe Berettas; Or wait, maybe we can get the japs to build doubles!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
I think that LionHunter is not "getting" that there are guys really wanting a Heym D/R,
and they just earn a certain amount of money per year, and they are scrimping and saving,
and now they have an option that's two-thousand dollars less, AND THAT IS A WHOLE LOT OF
MONEY FOR SOME GUYS!. (Maybe not to guys who have been able to pay for 5 or 10 or more
African D/G hunting trips, but to a guy who hopes to do ONE Cape Buff hunt in his life,
then go back to his local forest for his annual deer hunting two grand could make or break
his dream.)

It seems to me that you are not "getting" that LionHunter is actually trying to help the type of fellow you are describing. For the fellow in the financial position you are describing, one of the less expensive DR's would probably be a better choice. Rifles such as the Merkel, Kreighoff, Chapuis, etc would help that guy afford his hunt quicker or possibly allow him to take a few extra species while still doing his dream hunt with a quality DR. Mike is pointing out that at $13,000, the rifle really isn't competing with the the entry level guns. A good used Merkel or K-Gun can be had for around $7,500. That's $5,500 less than this basic Heym. Of course, talking new to new comparisons, the new entry level Heym is about $2,500 higher. Again, in your example, that $2,500 could provide for a bit larger safari, or a good head start on his next as there really is no such thing as just one!

At $13,000, it really will come down to how much value one puts on intercepting sears and / or the Heym name.

I'm not saying in any way shape or form that the entry level Heym Chris is introducing isn't a great gun and worth every penny. But, for roughly the same money, you can get a pretty nice VC with CCH, some engraving, ejectors, and a choice of calibers and barrel lengths, built to your personal measurements. The Heym at this price is limited to the 450NE 3.25" and 26" Barrels, no CCH, extractors, a set LOP, but it has the intercepting sears. I understand Mike's point that at $13K, the Heym is really competing with a VC that has more options and more embellishments and the offsetting feature is the intercepting sears. It really isn't competing with the Merkel, K-Gun, and the like at that price point.

To Todd,
First, while I'm a new poster, I've been reading this forum for 6 or 7 years. I've seen threads
go into WARS over little differences of opinion a zillion times here. I intended no insult to
Lion Hunter by using the phase:
I think that LionHunter is not "getting" that there are guys really wanting a Heym D/R,...
Now above in bold is a repeat of my first sentence in this thread. The RED section is what I'd
like to draw your attention to Todd. See, you responded to my opinion by saying the guy I de-
scribed should just go with another brand and leave Heym behind.
{Here are your words: For the fellow in the financial position you are describing, one of the less
expensive DR's would probably be a better choice. Rifles such as the Merkel, Kreighoff, Chapuis,
etc would help that guy afford his hunt quicker or...} You are ignoring that RED part above with that
opinion because MY imaginary guy has decided a HEYM is what he wants; and he's saving as best as he
can to get a HEYM. This model that Chris is offering is less costly by thousands of dollars compared
to any other new HEYM. So, if a guy wants HEYM and he's not able to to go 15K, maybe he can now be a
HEYM owner because he has accumulated 13K. That's all my point was meant to be. If it was a single
dollar less for this new model than the PH costs it would still be LESS. We're talking about 2K. And to
some guys that's a lot of additional money that they don't need to fork over to become HEYM owners.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I think that LionHunter is not "getting" that there are guys really wanting a Heym D/R,
and they just earn a certain amount of money per year, and they are scrimping and saving,
and now they have an option that's two-thousand dollars less, AND THAT IS A WHOLE LOT OF
MONEY FOR SOME GUYS!. (Maybe not to guys who have been able to pay for 5 or 10 or more
African D/G hunting trips, but to a guy who hopes to do ONE Cape Buff hunt in his life,
then go back to his local forest for his annual deer hunting two grand could make or break
his dream.)

It seems to me that you are not "getting" that LionHunter is actually trying to help the type of fellow you are describing. For the fellow in the financial position you are describing, one of the less expensive DR's would probably be a better choice. Rifles such as the Merkel, Kreighoff, Chapuis, etc would help that guy afford his hunt quicker or possibly allow him to take a few extra species while still doing his dream hunt with a quality DR. Mike is pointing out that at $13,000, the rifle really isn't competing with the the entry level guns. A good used Merkel or K-Gun can be had for around $7,500. That's $5,500 less than this basic Heym. Of course, talking new to new comparisons, the new entry level Heym is about $2,500 higher. Again, in your example, that $2,500 could provide for a bit larger safari, or a good head start on his next as there really is no such thing as just one!

At $13,000, it really will come down to how much value one puts on intercepting sears and / or the Heym name.

I'm not saying in any way shape or form that the entry level Heym Chris is introducing isn't a great gun and worth every penny. But, for roughly the same money, you can get a pretty nice VC with CCH, some engraving, ejectors, and a choice of calibers and barrel lengths, built to your personal measurements. The Heym at this price is limited to the 450NE 3.25" and 26" Barrels, no CCH, extractors, a set LOP, but it has the intercepting sears. I understand Mike's point that at $13K, the Heym is really competing with a VC that has more options and more embellishments and the offsetting feature is the intercepting sears. It really isn't competing with the Merkel, K-Gun, and the like at that price point.

To Todd,
First, while I'm a new poster, I've been reading this forum for 6 or 7 years. I've seen threads
go into WARS over little differences of opinion a zillion times here. I intended no insult to
Lion Hunter by using the phase:
I think that LionHunter is not "getting" that there are guys really wanting a Heym D/R,...
Now above in bold is a repeat of my first sentence in this thread. The RED section is what I'd
like to draw your attention to Todd. See, you responded to my opinion by saying the guy I de-
scribed should just go with another brand and leave Heym behind.
{Here are your words: For the fellow in the financial position you are describing, one of the less
expensive DR's would probably be a better choice. Rifles such as the Merkel, Kreighoff, Chapuis,
etc would help that guy afford his hunt quicker or...} You are ignoring that RED part above with that
opinion because MY imaginary guy has decided a HEYM is what he wants; and he's saving as best as he
can to get a HEYM. This model that Chris is offering is less costly by thousands of dollars compared
to any other new HEYM. So, if a guy wants HEYM and he's not able to to go 15K, maybe he can now be a
HEYM owner because he has accumulated 13K. That's all my point was meant to be. If it was a single
dollar less for this new model than the PH costs it would still be LESS. We're talking about 2K. And to
some guys that's a lot of additional money that they don't need to fork over to become HEYM owners.

If he wants a Heym and the new gun offers him a way to do so financially, then by all means he should get himself a Heym and be happy. No arguments from me on that.

That said, I don't see the validity in your logic.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
It ain't Logic, it's emotion! We're talkin double rifles here. Wink

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris,
Perhaps if you have a moment you could contact Jumbo Moore of www.kambakosafaris.com and advise him on this offering.
Regards,
Adam

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote