THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    5744 + Filler = Ruined Barrels
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5744 + Filler = Ruined Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
tomo
If you mean me, the rifle was not mine it went back to Champlins.

TONY, I think TOM is talking about the guy who blew the Krieghoff with 5744 +filler! However it went back to Krieghoff, I believe! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, in person, he is one of the FINEST fellas you will ever meet.

Amen to that! thumb

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
To all,
Let me say, that Mark is one of a kind! I have had the pleasure to know Mark for the last 3+ years, We have hunted, shot doubles, broke bread, slept in the same room, and got tanked till the wee hours together! Mark is as fine a Gentleman as you would want to meet! He is like Joe Friday from Dragnet! Just The Facts, Mame!
Those of you who do not know Mark personally, Don't be too judgemental by his posts! He is a wealth of knowlege when it comes to English Fine Double Rifles, and Nitro Express reloading. If you feel the the need to yank someones CHAIN! YANK YOUR OWN!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc52:
To all,
Let me say, that Mark is one of a kind! I have had the pleasure to know Mark for the last 3+ years, We have hunted, shot doubles, broke bread, slept in the same room, and got tanked till the wee hours together! Mark is as fine a Gentleman as you would want to meet! He is like Joe Friday from Dragnet! Just The Facts, Mame!
Those of you who do not know Mark personally, Don't be too judgemental by his posts! He is a wealth of knowlege when it comes to English Fine Double Rifles, and Nitro Express reloading. If you feel the the need to yank someones CHAIN! YANK YOUR OWN!
clap

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc52:
To all,
clap
+ clap clap clap clap

Doc52 is another one who says it like it is! Good show Doc52!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Bal & Mac,
I can't wait to see you both in June! Along with Rusty, Mark, Tony, Tim, Roscoe, Pauly, BobC, ETC!!!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What happens in June?

DRSS

Posts: 41 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
I just got a call from a guy in California who loaded 45gr of Accurate 5744 with 1 Kynoch foam wad under a 500gr cast bullet.

Although he'd shot 50 or so of the same rounds, the result of "the one" was a pair of Kreighoff 470 barrels that separated at the breech end.

Obviously, one foam plug was not enough filler for such a small amount of powder (see Graeme Wrights' explanation of the "Secondary Projectile Effect.")

However, Accurate also indicates that no filler is necessary with 5744 loads. Either way, the barrels (and likely the action too) are toast.

Just don't want to see anyone else repeat this exercise.

I have shot hundreds of rounds with that exact load and NO FILLER without any ill-effects. Perhaps it was the filler that caused the damage.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 grains,
I think you are right. The improper use of wads can be just as dangerous as the wrong powder. I don’t see how he could have double charged the case and not noticed when he was putting the foam filler in place.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As to Mr. 400, I have never met the guy.

He does seem, though, from his posts, to be an elitist of the worst ilk.

As in, a knowledgeable sort who feels sadly unappreciated as the scholar/expert that he truly may be.

Maybe because he hasn't yet written that book that he knows would be good if only he could or would summon the will and ability to write it.

Who knows or cares? Not me.

From what I have seen, Mr. 400 feels the need to make those who know less than he does feel like excrement.

That ain't a nice guy - in my humble estimation.

But I could be wrong. I was wrong once before. Big Grin

As for 5744 and filler. This ain't no party. This ain't no disco. This ain't no foolin' around. Just follow the maker's recommendations.

Don't use filler with 5744 in reduced loads for Nitro Express cartridges.

Now, how hard was that?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just follow the maker's recommendations.

Therein lies the whole problem, to me. I haven't even considered using 5744 powder in the 470 NE but even with full case powders, reloading data is not at every newsstand. Hodgdon does have "enough" data I suppose.

And then there is RL-15, for those like me, wimps that do not care for anymore recoil than necessary, and there is only one datum point that I know of, that single load in Wright's book that mentions a "foam filler." And Wright's book is not exactly on the NY Times best seller list.

Admittedly my interest in reloading is only results oriented an do not, nor want to, obsess over developing a dozen or two loads for the same cartridge, but just exactly where is all this reloading data published for the 470 NE?

From Chris' first post:
"However, Accurate also indicates that no filler is necessary with 5744 loads. Either way, the barrels (and likely the action too) are toast."

Are there 470 NE data in Accurate's "Free Load Guide?" I didn't find any 470 NE data on their web site.

Maybe reduced loads in the 470 NE, or even using RL-15, is just too far off the reservation (?). It doesn't say anything in "Any Shot You Want" about using foam fillers for the RL-15 loads.

I just went with the loading recommendations from the guys that have been there before me here on AR. Thanks! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MR

I have known 400 Nitro for several years. I have shot and hunted with him several times.

I can assure you, in person, he is a very fine fellow, not in any way an eletist, snob etc.

He is a veritable encyclopedia on British double rifles.

AND he is a very fine game shot as well. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote