THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    5744 + Filler = Ruined Barrels
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5744 + Filler = Ruined Barrels
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
I just got a call from a guy in California who loaded 45gr of Accurate 5744 with 1 Kynoch foam wad under a 500gr cast bullet.

Although he'd shot 50 or so of the same rounds, the result of "the one" was a pair of Kreighoff 470 barrels that separated at the breech end.

Obviously, one foam plug was not enough filler for such a small amount of powder (see Graeme Wrights' explanation of the "Secondary Projectile Effect.")

However, Accurate also indicates that no filler is necessary with 5744 loads. Either way, the barrels (and likely the action too) are toast.

Just don't want to see anyone else repeat this exercise.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Who knows for sure? Was there a witness?

I would hate to have this be one of those posts..."Oh, sorry, I actually did so and so..."

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19314 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Will – I’m not trying to spread rumors. The guy that called me was the owner of the rifle. He was also the guy that loaded the ammo, and he was the guy that pulled the trigger.

He has two witnesses, but I'm not sure they're relevant.

He pulled the trigger on the reduced load, the gun doubled with excessive recoil. He could not get the gun open after firing. He took it to a gunsmith, who had to pry the barrels open. The right barrel cartridge was separated, but the left barrel cartridge looked fine.

The gun was sent to Kreighoff. Krieghoff said the barrels were separated at the breech and that the action would have to go back to Germany for inspection before they would consider putting new barrels on it.

Wright does a pretty good job of explaining the "Secondary Projectile Effect" and the variables here seem to fit.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm guessing he won't be using reduced loads again. That's going to be expensive.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
You're right. Something to the tune of about 8K for a new set of barrels.

The lesson for all here is to understand how fillers should be used - and to make sure you use them correctly.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Help me here, is AA5744 okay to use without fillers? Or is the lesson that AA5744 is no good with or without fillers?

Mike

Posts: 21221 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey! Use enough fluff! rotflmo

It works fine in a .395 Tatanka bolt action single barrel pushing 340-grainers at a screaming 1650 fps!

Fill the case with something, but not a double-jigger charge of 5744!

XMR or AA 5744 has a burn rate similar to pistol powders like IMR4227, even faster than H110.

Did that foam wad turn sideways and cause a bore obstruction? Another case of the "plastic worm" ringing the chambers?
Ross Seyfried warned us about that!

Did he double-charge one of those cases? He very well could have with that small a single-charge of powder.
That would be a bomb.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If 5744 is fine with no filler, then an inadequate little foam wad that still left air space in the case could not have been a problem with 45 grains of 5744 in a 470 NE with 500-grain cast bullet of proper size.

I guess he loaded 90 grains of 5744 in the offending cartridge.

It sounds like there was only one bad shot taken that ended the action of the action.

RIP.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Help me here, is AA5744 okay to use without fillers? Or is the lesson that AA5744 is no good with or without fillers?

Mike - the mfg indicates that no filler is to be used.

The guy indicated that he was weighing each charge and inserting the foam wads by hand. It would be difficult to not notice 90 grains of powder in a case when you were used to seeing foam plugs go into cases that had only 45 grains.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
If 5744 is fine with no filler, then an inadequate little foam wad that still left air space in the case could not have been a problem with 45 grains of 5744 in a 470 NE with 500-grain cast bullet of proper size.

RIP.

To the contrary, that scenario supports Wright's theory precisely.

The powder choice has little to do with the source of the damage. The damage is caused by the filler moving inside the case under ignition and coming into contact with a stationary bullet in the case mouth.

See page 70 of Wright's 2nd edition for details.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Thanks. I have used AA5744 but always with no filler, thank goodness.

Mike

Posts: 21221 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, I have used this load quite a bit with the 470 and 505G and it works fine, of course without filler. I will say that in such a large case, and because you cannot see your charge it can spell trouble for those who might accidently double a load. I am not implying this is what happened in this case but I always take extra precaution when loading with this powder because it can hold a double load and more.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Wright's theory I don't recall. Do not have access to the book at the moment, but will check it out when I can reach my copy.

Could this support Ross Seyfried's warning against the use of foam wads, even with RL-15?

If somebody could quote a few lines or scan the page and post it, that would certainly serve the discussion.

I am very disappointed with 5744 accuracy in reduced loads for bolt action. Of course the velocity of such loads is supposed to be kept low. Reduced loads only to be intended in big bores, with no filler.

My bolt action plinker load worked very well with polyester fluff filler around 1650 fps.

I would have no desire to use a powder faster than RL-15 with filler in my 470 NE double, and I much prefer a full case load of H4831 in a strong, modern double (Merkel) without weak and thin antique barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why use any powder that does not max out available space? It's the 21st century, why are folks still using filler/wads? Hell, why does Federal use RL 15(?) and why should such a load have so much airspace?

Soon guys will start loading that smokey powder used in cowboy shoots and start calling it Safari Action Shooting. Harken back to the turn of the last century. Truth is, I don't get the whole black powder/muzzle loader crowd either.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
Why use any powder that does not max out available space? It's the 21st century, why are folks still using filler/wads? Hell, why does Federal use RL 15(?) and why should such a load have so much airspace?

I agree.

Fill em up and let em fly !

No air, No foam, No wad.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
This thread caught my eye...

I do a lot of down loads.. however, I never recommend using fillers, unless the manufacturer says to... and instead of following their instructions, I'll pick another powder... I don't like fillers..

fillers still occupy space within the cartridge, and the more volume you take up in there, the more increase in pressure you are going to have...

Take a load that is near max, and leave some corn or walnut cleaning media in the case...it will raise pressures enough to pop primers...

you don't need fillers with 5744... in fact, I don't recommend using fillers at all...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because the powders that fill up the space don't have the same burn rate as the powder these cartridges were designed for. In some rifles that makes a difference. In others it doesn't.

I don't see that as the relevant question here anyway. What I've never understood is... WHAT in the HELL is the need for reduced loads in large bore double rifles any bloody way? I can't even begin to see the need. These become completely different rifles with full loads than what they are with reduced, rendering "practice" with reduced loads utterly worthless in learning to master them. Likewise, they aren't plinking rifles either. The large cases don't lend themselves to safe reduced loads anyway.

If you want to become proficient with a heavy double, then the only way to do it is to shoot normal loads, and learning to handle the recoil is central to the learning curve. If you can't tolerate the recoil, sometimes the chosen cartridge is just too much for you, or sometimes it's an underweight, or poorly designed, or poorly stocked rifle. Whatever it is, you got the wrong one, and need to either modify it, or get something else.

In 20 odd years of shooting double rifles I've never fired a reduced load in one of my own, and never will.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
I do a lot of down loads.. however, I never recommend using fillers, unless the manufacturer says to....

You've recommended Blue Dot for reduced loads in .223 haven't you? Does the manufacturer agree with you? animal
------------------------------------------------

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:

Because the powders that fill up the space don't have the same burn rate as the powder these cartridges were designed for. In some rifles that makes a difference. In others it doesn't.

I don't see that as the relevant question here anyway. What I've never understood is... WHAT in the HELL is the need for reduced loads in large bore double rifles any bloody way? I can't even begin to see the need. These become completely different rifles with full loads than what they are with reduced, rendering "practice" with reduced loads utterly worthless in learning to master them. Likewise, they aren't plinking rifles either. The large cases don't lend themselves to safe reduced loads anyway.

If you want to become proficient with a heavy double, then the only way to do it is to shoot normal loads, and learning to handle the recoil is central to the learning curve. If you can't tolerate the recoil, sometimes the chosen cartridge is just too much for you, or sometimes it's an underweight, or poorly designed, or poorly stocked rifle. Whatever it is, you got the wrong one, and need to either modify it, or get something else.

In 20 odd years of shooting double rifles I've never fired a reduced load in one of my own, and never will.

Damn. I never imagined we would agree on anything, But in this I totally agree.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Here's a relavant paragraph from Wright's book:

“One of the major problems with wads occur if they are loaded in such a way as to leave an airspace between the wad the base of the bullet. What is believed to happen is that as the powder ignites, the wad accelerates inside the case before the projectile moves. When the wad hits the stationary projectile it creates an area of high pressure and may cause chamber ringing of the area of the bullet base. The projectile effectively acts as an obstruction. This phenomenon is sometimes called the secondary projectile effect; the wad acts as a second projectile inside the case.â€

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Soon guys will start loading that smokey powder used in cowboy shoots and start calling it Safari Action Shooting. Harken back to the turn of the last century. Truth is, I don't get the whole black powder/muzzle loader crowd either.

BTW, Kynoch has done more work with the flanged nitros than anyone else in the world since Cordite went away, and have done so with the advantage of state of the art pressure testing equipment. They also use other technology we don't have - they use blends of multiple non-canister grade propellants specially mixed to match burn rate and keep the pressures down - and they STILL use fillers in all flanged nitro factory ammo from .400 up. They're the same foam wads they sell to the public as components.
------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
Filler up and let fly...what macho crap!!! How many times do you shoot your big Bores? I shoot mine every week and can match accuracy of hot lots with reduced loads and filler under 80 yrds. I get all the fun without the bruises. You tell me the foam filler doesn't burn away before it reaches the bullet...another load of crap!!!

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris E Nelson:
I get all the fun without the bruises.

Like I said, if you're getting bruised you got the wrong one.

quote:
You tell me the foam filler doesn't burn away before it reaches the bullet...another load of crap!!!

Er, ah...well, no, it doesn't. It doesn't burn in the bore either. In fact, it doesn't burn at all. I regularly pick them up down range after one of our DR shooting sessions. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris E Nelson:
Filler up and let fly...what macho crap!!! How many times do you shoot your big Bores? I shoot mine every week and can match accuracy of hot lots with reduced loads and filler under 80 yrds. I get all the fun without the bruises. You tell me the foam filler doesn't burn away before it reaches the bullet...another load of crap!!!

Macho crap.

Oh thank you.

Yes, I do shoot my big bores, no I don't get bruised. Yes, I fill the cases up with a powder, no or little airspace, no filler or foam.

Once I have a load worked out for a gun, the load is worked out, it shoots, I don't need to keep shooting it all the time, I move onto another one.

Or I go hunting.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I hope you guys are arguing about something that didn't happen that way.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Dont want to start a Sh*T storm, but has anyone tried Trail Boss in a 470 or a 577?

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss, sounds like chewing tobacco, or that smokey cowboy powder. rotflmo

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was actually wondering the same thing about Trail Boss... It's a powder shaped into "doughnuts" It's meant to be v. bulky.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Here's a relavant paragraph from Wright's book:

“One of the major problems with wads occur if they are loaded in such a way as to leave an airspace between the wad the base of the bullet. What is believed to happen is that as the powder ignites, the wad accelerates inside the case before the projectile moves. When the wad hits the stationary projectile it creates an area of high pressure and may cause chamber ringing of the area of the bullet base. The projectile effectively acts as an obstruction. This phenomenon is sometimes called the secondary projectile effect; the wad acts as a second projectile inside the case.â€

The below statement is my post on Nitro Express double rifle forum!

quote:
origenally posted by DIGABOY1
Gentlemen, New Guy is correct, the wad was not the problem all by it's self! The problem is that 5744 powder is not a powder that can be used with filler, of any kind! 5744 powder is a silly speciality powder that is to be used in very large cases on NE cartridges, and carries a warning of "NOT TO USE FILLER". The fault is not the wad, but the Crap-Wad that did not follow the rules with 5744 powder.

With any powder that doesn't fill the case with a load that is needed to replace the old CORDITE, (excepting 5744 which is not to be used with wads of any type) can be used with the proper aplication of a filler. The key to this damage is two fold was the powder used, and the way the powder was held in place with the filler. Firstly no filler was indicated with 5744 powder, but even above that the 5744 charge was so small, the the filler had to be pressed down on the charge, leaving a lot of airspace between the powder and the bullet. This is a disaster wiating for the trigger to be pulled. The damage was not caused by the powder, or the filler, but by the idiot that placed them both in the same case.

When a substitute powder for Cordite is used, the modern powder will rarely fill the case up enough to make it work well without a filler of some type. However, the filler has to be properly used, regardless of which filler is used. The proper load method is load powder the charge in the case, and then the filler is also added on top of the powder, and just enough so as to be slightly compressed by the seating of the bullet, and no less, or more. No airspace between the bullet, and the filler is allowed.

It makes no difference if the filler is Kapoc, Polyfiber, or foam plugs, but wat does make a great difference is leaving air between the filler, and the bullet, OR USEING A FILLER WITH 5744 POWDER!

Gentlemen it is irresponsible to condemn the filler, the powder, or the combination of the two without knowing all the facts. This thread is how urban legends start, that condemn any practice unjustly! I'm sure if Krieghoff is told the whole story on this damage, there will be some strong language passed along to the owner of this rifle! This guy just may have gotten a $12K lesson in proper handloading of double rifles!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon & Norma powders used to load 470 fill the cases real well.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I have used 5744, per the ballistician at Accurate, as follows, Magnum primer, no filler.
I am shooting Speer Gold dot 325 and 400 gariners out of a 470 NE no problems !
I an also using 5744 in a 450 NE with 300, 400, 405 and 500 grain bullets, also no problems or signs of any pressure.
Key points Magnum primer (CCI250 or Rem 9 1/2) NO FILLER.

horse

Thanks

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hodgdon & Norma powders used to load 470 fill the cases real well.

The 470 is one of the best to use with modern powders, because the case is filled enough to negate the use of fillers with most slow powders. This is not the case with all NE cartridges, however, and with most a filler of some type are a must if one is to get the best from his double rifle! thumb

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Hello,

I have used 5744, per the ballistician at Accurate, as follows, Magnum primer, no filler.
I am shooting Speer Gold dot 325 and 400 gariners out of a 470 NE no problems !
I an also using 5744 in a 450 NE with 300, 400, 405 and 500 grain bullets, also no problems or signs of any pressure.
Key points Magnum primer (CCI250 or Rem 9 1/2) NO FILLER.

horse

Thanks

Absolutely! But 5744 powder is a silly powder, that is not needed!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
strong, modern double

Oxymoron............. clap

Reduced loads are for girls. Big Grin

Buy a girlie gun if you can't handle the fun.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
My name is Gary, I'm posting on Harry's login because I can't remember mine. I had a .470 NE explode in my hands Oct. 2006 with a 400 gr Hawk in front of 55 gr 5744. No filler. The gun had previously been heavily fouled with cast lead bullets and 5744, and shot maybe 40 times. The point of initiation of the failure was at the projectile in the throat, and split two banana peel like strips out, with the splits running all the way back to the breech end of the barrel and forward a similar distance. I was slightly injured in the thumb and face and plenty traumatized. As an aside, I would surely have been blinded in the left eye had it not been for my glasses. I cannot be sure what caused the problem, however, and this is the point of the post, it seems that the combination of 5744 and lead .470 bullets may not be a good one.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a fair amount of AA 5744 in a 45-70 behind a 500-grain lead bullet. I used 27 grains and a 1/8" wad of florist foam cut by the mouth of the case; just pushed it over the case, and tamped it down into place... Never had a problem. I don't consider this a filler, maybe you fellows do. I do know that I never had a problem, and I darned sure don't believe the powder is the issue here.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 470 is one of the best to use with modern powders, because the case is filled enough to negate the use of fillers with most slow powders. This is not the case with all NE cartridges, however, and with most a filler of some type are a must if one is to get the best from his double rifle! thumb

Mac,

Please list the calibres you think need a filler with Modern powders.

I would say
450 No 2
the 475's ?

What's your call - or anyone else's ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having had the pleasure of screwing up a perfectly good rifle with a overload of powder Mad 10 grains over in a 788 .243. I am of the belief that perhaps, just maybe, there was a little more powder in the case than the owner is saying or perhaps was aware of , just maybe now I was not there but reading between the lines I have a hard time believing a filler would cause that much damage bewildered Of course I have been wrong before.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am lighting off my 5744 in the backyard barbie.
I was unsatisfied with its lack of uniform ballistics with no filler for reduced loads.

I have learned my lesson. I cannot use filler with that goofy powder: bulky and dirty and like IMR-4227 burn rate if you are lucky.

Possibly locking the powder in place with filler leads to even more rapid than "magnum pistol powder" burn rate, in effect a detonation occasionally. Especially if a double charge is accidentally touched off.

Thanks all, for the education.
I played with fire and did not get burned.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Could this support Ross Seyfried's warning against the use of foam wads, even with RL-15?

Rip, where did you see this?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote