Notify
Tools

Anderson Wheeler doubles???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
http://www.andersonwheeler.co.uk/

Anyone ever hear of them/know about them? A friend made me aware of them and I was wondering about their BLE rifles. Thanks.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There a new company to me but I am very impressed with the quality of their work. Bet they are pricey though.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
they were brought up here on the forums some time back.....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2011 price list as follows

375-500 16,500 gbp

577-600 19900 gbp box lock

side lock prices as follow

375-500- 35,000 gpb
577-600 - 42,000 gbp

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
The gentleman replied to my info request. I sent him a bunch of questions. We'll see. They look like nice rifles though. Express_Rifles is dead on with the prices. Not cheap, but not over the top either. We'll see what you're getting for that money. I'll keep everyone posted.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I am no expert but the actions looks like a VC action, no? Even some of the hardware and the forearm checkering pattern. What do you guys think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont know but I do know on their left handed bolts they are useing GMA not even a Waffe Jong

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
tendrams: the actions looks like a VC action, no?
Look like it to me too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a world where actions have not changed much in 100 years do you honestly think 98% of the time they dont look the same. Thats like afew years back when people flocked to buy the Chrysler 300 because people swore it looked like a Rolls Royce

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Look closely yourself.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Express_Rifles +1
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A Chrysler 300 doesn't look anything like a Rolls to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen the rifles im the one who posted the prices and to me it might look like a VC action but I doubt it is

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
The action styling does look a fair bit like some of the Verney Carrons. I know they get barreled actions in the white from Europe, so we'll see.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show you that you pay for where its proofed and sold from

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
IMHO 16,5K gbp is a tad high for a monoblocked boxlock, that would be around 20K$.
but very nice website though

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over 26k USD or 147k danish krone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re the UK prices, just remember you have 17.5% VAT in that price
which IF it's like Aust, the GST is not charged to overseas purchasers.

Take 17.5% off and it looks more reasonable.

And of course that is soon to be 20% VAT !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post

vs.

and the bottom trigger guard image from this collage...

Compared with...

I have also seen on this board a VC action with the accentuated H&H "Filet" as on the Wheeler double. I might be wrong, and there is certainly nothing wrong with using the VC action as I want one in the worse way....but why pay a premium for "Made in England" when it really might not be in the strictest sense?

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Here's a reply I received from them:

"In answer to your questions our double rifle actions are sleeved shoe lump barrels. The locking mechanism has 6 lugs with a 2.5 cm recoil face. We can make the barrel length whatever you like however I would advise a 26 inch barrel with the 450 NE cartridge. We can easily make a splinter for end for you just specify it on the fitting sheet attached if you decide to move forward. A 450 NE will weigh in at 9.5 lbs,"

I emailed a couple friends as well who are in the know with regards to doubles and one of them emailed me back today that they are infact made on VC barreled actions in the white. About a 13,000 pound mark up for some bluing on the barrels, engraving on the action, and a custom English stock. Think I'll take a pass. Besides I'm looking for a lighter .458, but 9.5lbs. is a little light for my taste.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
In defense of Wheeler, this action style and upgraded wood from VC does start at around $20,000 from my understanding so, if you take off the VAT from Wheeler's rifles, they are much more in the ballpark. Upgrade the engraving a bit on the VC and you have a wash. That said, I don't think VC offers this rifle as a sleeved shoe-lump arrangement do they?

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Very pretty rifles and very interesting...

A comperativly small custom and EXPENSIVE maker. Buying actions in the white, putting barrels on them, giving them a fancy name, and charging a premium for them, nothing wrong with that of course... but still, sounds familiar.

Has anyone started bashing these guys for not making the actions for their guns themslves?
Or is it OK because their English?

I don't mean to stuff-up this thread, and I am sorry if I am.

I was just wondering if anybody thought poorly of them because they aren't making their own actions, like a high-dollar outfit in the US.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks to be nemo is trying to stir the pot this is not a sab rifle so why are you interested stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nemo .450:
Very pretty rifles and very interesting...

A comperativly small custom and EXPENSIVE maker. Buying actions in the white, putting barrels on them, giving them a fancy name, and charging a premium for them, nothing wrong with that of course... but still, sounds familiar.

Goes on all the time, US Companies are great at doing it. Just look at Weatherby !!!

If you take off the VAT, then the prices for comparable products do work out about the same.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
It is also wise to keep in mind that many of the "top shelf" names in brit gunmaking a century ago subbed out some or more of their work to the broader gun trade. Hell, very recently, H&H was building single shots on Ruger actions. Smiler

Can someone answer if the VC barrels are sleeved? I don't think they are and am trying to figure out why wheeler would order them this way???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
It is also wise to keep in mind that many of the "top shelf" names in brit gunmaking a century ago subbed out some or more of their work to the broader gun trade. Hell, very recently, H&H was building single shots on Ruger actions. Smiler

Go one further, all H&H guns were built by Scott (one of the formations of Webley and Scott).

I have seen Webley actions with "Regulated by H&H) on them.

If someone wanted something and was willing to pay for it, they would take an order. A good business philosphy.

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shocking!Eeker

California Rigby, Weatherby, etc... and now an English maker. shame (just kidding Big Grin)

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with that, so long as the quality is maintained.

As I recall, many of the the old English makers (H&H, WR, Rigby, etc.) used "Webley" or "Trade" actions on their working boxlocks.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jesus, you guys are quick to jump on this maker and Nemo just listed the best at it of them all, California Rigby.

Although he mentioned the word "quality" in the same sentence Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cali Rigby was useing Merkel actions for awhile wonder who they use now

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Express_Rifles:
Cali Rigby was useing Merkel actions for awhile wonder who they use now

Yes, but did you see some of the stocking on them ?

The actions might have been good but the wood to metal fit was not good.

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

I have seen Webley actions with "Regulated by H&H) on them.

If someone wanted something and was willing to pay for it, they would take an order. A good business philosphy.

Like a freind of mine says "I don't have to like pink V.W. Bugs to sell them". Big Grin

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jesus, you guys are quick to jump on this maker and Nemo just listed the best at it of them all, California Rigby.

Although he mentioned the word "quality" in the same sentence Big Grin

I don't mean to stomp or jump on these guys, if they think there's room in the fine gun market, I wish them luck.

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nemo

I just re read my post, that comment wasn't directed at you or just at you. The emphasis
on the words was misplaced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atleast they use a proven action so god willing they are fine rifles just with London proofs no harm no foul everyone is getting out sourced actions hardly any company makes their own so what they are doing is honest and just a part of doing business in the gun world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Car makers have been doing it for years
as have heaps of other industries - including
the gun world.

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nemo

I just re read my post, that comment wasn't directed at you or just at you. The emphasis
on the words was misplaced.

Thanks.

But concerning the main topic. The question has already been asked, but has been decided that these "English" DRs are merely "fancy" V.C.s? Are they of equal, greater, or lesser quality? I said "quality", perhaps I should say "value".

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaguar+ Ford Bentley=Volkswagon Aston Martin was ford for awhile and the list goes on

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus for the price you are getting hand engraved not computer machined so your going to pay for that

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can someone answer if the VC barrels are sleeved? I don't think they are and am trying to figure out why wheeler would order them this way???

It's beyond me. Cheaper shotgun barreled actions sleeved with rifle barrels? Maybe???? I have no idea????? Confused

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson