one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Have you read Graeme Wright's book on shooting the British DR?

You ammo looks like you have not crimped them.

In case you need to pull bullets, you might find this useful. It looks ugly but it works for me - http://forums.accuratereloadin...231091491#8231091491

Once you set this die to crimp, the seater plug even at its furthest setting is enough to push the bullet past the seating grove.I need to find another die if I want to really crimp them.As far as pulling bullets,I am not a bullet pulling kind of guy.I leave that task to my rifle.

Shootaway:
If I read this correctly, the seater plug pushes to bullet too far down the case and beyond the crimp groove and you are unable to crimp the bullet. If this is so, place a washer between the die and the press. This will elevate the die a bit and your crimp groove will be available for use. Not too thick a washer or your crimp shoulder in the die will be set too high to utilize.

Cal

I dont think you know what you are talking about.The space between the crimp shoulder and the seating plug are position constant.It is this space that is too small even at the furthest seater position.Thanks anyway.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Why you people wasting time with this microcephallic moron (It's ok to post just to insult him BTW..) is beyond me...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Searcy double should be here in about a month.
I think I will start loading some rounds.
I will do a range report when I get it-take some pics too.
I will let you know how the barrel cleans too.This is going to be fun!

But not for Butch. My quess is he is going to want to buy this rifle back. I can't imagine you having two barrels on one gun.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

But not for Butch. My quess is he is going to want to buy this rifle back. I can't imagine you having two barrels on one gun.

It's not going to be fun for Butch, but he knew what he was getting into.

I personally think building him a rifle is a short sighted business decision. If he loves the rifle (not very likely)he will brag about it and degrade all other doubles, this will lead to people not wanting to buy a Searcy because they don't want the same double rifle as him. If he does not like the rifle, or cannot shoot it properly (very likely) he will lay all the blame at Butch's feet.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

It's not going to be fun for Butch, but he knew what he was getting into.

I personally think building him a rifle is a short sighted business decision. If he loves the rifle (not very likely)he will brag about it and degrade all other doubles, this will lead to people not wanting to buy a Searcy because they don't want the same double rifle as him. If he does not like the rifle, or cannot shoot it properly (very likely) he will lay all the blame at Butch's feet.

OK well if Butch knew that's different. I have only occasionally seen butch on the forums so I figured he did not know what he was getting into.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing Butch can take care of himself… I'd love to watch that exchange...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people have been butt stroked by SMLE's,
M1's, Garands etc.

Shootaway just might be the first to be Butt stroked by a Double Rifle Big Grin

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Why you people wasting time with this microcephallic moron (It's ok to post just to insult him BTW..) is beyond me...

We're on the same page! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Shootaway, if you will only listen, we can save you a lot of useless experimenting, not to mention money expended on unusable ammo!

...................................................................... old

Listen to what?
505 says a rifle will not regulate with one brand of primers and Mac says that it will not regulate with + or - 1 or 2 grains the recommended load.
Cal says that he knows everything about shooting doubles but we have never seen of video demonstration of his skills.
We have no video demonstration of 505's and Macs skills either.

I give up, you are a lost cause!

....................................................................BYE wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
(It's ok to post just to insult him BTW..)

To anyone else it'd be insulting!

But for him it's a compliment! dancing

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see, I could continue to drain my brain cells reading Shitaway's babbling nonsense or spend my day dealing with pedophiles, dope eaters, wife beaters and other assorted miscreants....hmmm....Lisa, my next appointment please.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If the seater plug pushes your bullet down below the canilure, then just take the plug out. Then you should be able to crimp the round without any problem.

BTW, Mike advise about front hole & back hole - you don't need to crimp the back hole as it it is already tight. Don't flare it too much or you will get a shotgun effect & the group will be very inconsistent! rotflmo

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Have you read Graeme Wright's book on shooting the British DR?

You ammo looks like you have not crimped them.

In case you need to pull bullets, you might find this useful. It looks ugly but it works for me - http://forums.accuratereloadin...231091491#8231091491

Once you set this die to crimp, the seater plug even at its furthest setting is enough to push the bullet past the seating grove.I need to find another die if I want to really crimp them.As far as pulling bullets,I am not a bullet pulling kind of guy.I leave that task to my rifle.

Shootaway:
If I read this correctly, the seater plug pushes to bullet too far down the case and beyond the crimp groove and you are unable to crimp the bullet. If this is so, place a washer between the die and the press. This will elevate the die a bit and your crimp groove will be available for use. Not too thick a washer or your crimp shoulder in the die will be set too high to utilize.

Cal

I dont think you know what you are talking about.The space between the crimp shoulder and the seating plug are position constant.It is this space that is too small even at the furthest seater position.Thanks anyway.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Shootaway, if you will only listen, we can save you a lot of useless experimenting, not to mention money expended on unusable ammo!

...................................................................... old

Listen to what?
505 says a rifle will not regulate with one brand of primers and Mac says that it will not regulate with + or - 1 or 2 grains the recommended load.
Cal says that he knows everything about shooting doubles but we have never seen of video demonstration of his skills.
We have no video demonstration of 505's and Macs skills either.

I give up, you are a lost cause!

....................................................................BYE wave

I will say though, he has a gift. 99.9% of the time, you can't get half this forum to agree on anything.

Sabatti's are good or bad, K-guns, Blasers, belted cases, calibers etc.

But the whole forum is unanimously in agreement he's a clown.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the whole forum is unanimously in agreement he's an ASS clown.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
This may be the ONLY time in AR history we ALL agree on something!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]northforks[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What load did you use for them ?

Reason for asking is, what if the first one's are over pressure or the load you used on the other
rounds show pressure at this level ?

You might end up having to pull them.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
What load did you use for them ?

Reason for asking is, what if the first one's are over pressure or the load you used on the other
rounds show pressure at this level ?

You might end up having to pull them.

According to a manual I found on reloading data for the 500NE and IMR 4831(570gr bullet),they are 1 grain above the minimum load.