THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    100th birthday of 257 Roberts. What will you do?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100th birthday of 257 Roberts. What will you do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
The 100th birthday of 257 Roberts is coming up. What will you do?
I read the 257 Roberts was invented in the mid 1920's. Anyone have a more definitive date? What will you do to celebrate such a fantastic dual purpose cart?

Will you make a custom Bob?
Will you do a centennial hunt?
Will you drink a beer?

I have a saying, never trust a cart that is not at least 100 years old. Funny coming from a wildcat enthusiast.

I soon can trust the 257 Roberts.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will say "Happy Birthday" to a great round that was not treated fairly in it's lifetime. Abused and misunderstood by everyone including gun makers, it warranted better. Like, long magazines, longer bullet seating and higher pressures. It was ham strung from the get go.
Great round; and far better than any of the ones that killed it, most notably the useless, 243.
I have owned art least one for many decades now.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I wonder how light you can make a M98 257 Roberts. Titanium action?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday Bob!
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Will you drink a beer?

I think I will. beer

Bob on a Mex. Great little rifle.
5569GDBob by JAMES ANDERSON, on Flickr

5556GDBob by JAMES ANDERSON, on Flickr

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I was thinking of. Georgeous!

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read the 257 Roberts was invented in the mid 1920's. Anyone have a more definitive date? What will you do to celebrate such a fantastic dual purpose cart?

Will you make a custom Bob?
Will you do a centennial hunt?
Will you drink a beer?

I will drink a diet coke to celebrate. Big Grin By the way, beautiful pics of a beautiful rifle. tu2

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Bob there gunmaker. Mine isn't nearly as pretty as that but gets the job done.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am having a Bob improved put together. And i will hoist up a beer!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! Mine is nice, but not that nice; a 1909 Argentine with very nice wood purchased from Pachmayr in the mid-70's, and it likewise shoots very well.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
WinBob

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:

Take her out of course. beer

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10167 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

Take her out of course. beer

Exactly! tu2

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have mine in an AI cal. on a 03-A3 action.Parker felt the best performers to the AI concept were the 257 + 7X57.I agree.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll fire a 5 round salute with my 257 Ackley Imp..I love the gun and the caliber, but if I had it all to do over Id go with a std .257 robts..We always try to improve on perfection, when that's what we had to start with..The 257 and 250 Savage need not be improved they are accurate, void of recoil, not a loud boomer, a pleasure to shoot, and load for, don't need more velocity, if one wants more velocity get a 25-06, a 257 whatchamacallit, a 257 wBy, as for myself I have a 270 and a 30-06 or bigger..Love these light 257s for what they are..

My only complaint with the Ackley is I hate fireforming cases, but I found a max std 257 load fireforms to perfection and you can hunt with it as is while fireforming, they are accurate and fast, so apparently I have two guns a std. and an IMP..Now how can you beat that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote