THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    22-243 Middlestead. v.s 22-243 Win.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-243 Middlestead. v.s 22-243 Win.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello.
Can anybody tell me the difference between these two?? I belive the Middlestead is some sort of Imp. and the Winchester has a less sharp shoulder?? Am I on to something here?
Is it easy to form brass for these two?
A lot of questions, but we like it. Don't we??

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
460Wby,

I am not familiar with the 22-243, but have built several rifles for the 22-243 Middlstead.

Forming brass is not any more difficult any any other wildcat if you go with a standard neck.

For tight neck chambers, you need to get a neck turner cutter which is suitable for the shoulder angle you are going to have. This important so that you can avoid taking brass off the shoulder.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, the Middlestead has a 30 deg shoulder and the 22-243 has a 20 deg. The case is not "improved" like the Ackley.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460wby:
Hello.
Can anybody tell me the difference between these two?? I belive the Middlestead is some sort of Imp. and the Winchester has a less sharp shoulder?? Am I on to something here?
Is it easy to form brass for these two?
A lot of questions, but we like it. Don't we??

Posts: 41 | Location: new zealand | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
460Wby,

I am not familiar with the 22-243, but have built several rifles for the 22-243 Middlstead.

Forming brass is not any more difficult any any other wildcat if you go with a standard neck.

For tight neck chambers, you need to get a neck turner cutter which is suitable for the shoulder angle you are going to have. This important so that you can avoid taking brass off the shoulder.

460Wby,
I shot the 22-243 for some years, in the 30 degree shoulder version. This is the middlestead version, Another version necks down the 308 parent case to give you a 20 degree shoulder with a shorter neck. Neither are difficult to form. I agree with the previous poster, that out side neck turning is absolutely neccessary.
If you can find a copy of the Seventh Edition of the Handloaders Digest ( John T Amber editor) there is a very good article in it on the 243 Middleton version. It was this article that convinced me that one was absolutely necessary.
Although I haven't had one for years, I remember my first sub .5" 100 metre 5 shot group well. Chrongraphed at 3825 fps(39 grs 4895 with the speer 52gr H.P.)Can't remember the loads now, but had a few really accurate loads doing over 4000 fps.
Remington 700 action, 28" S/S bull barrell. After lugging it afield a couple of times, I tapered the barrell, fitted a bipod, and had the best, wallaby, rabbit and magpie gun imaginable.

IHMSAKIWI

Posts: 41 | Location: new zealand | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about those two but I have a 22 Cheetah I which I believe is similiar except for the 40 degree shoulder angle. I've had good luck forming the cases from Rem benchrest .308 brass with the small rifle primer pocket.

Good shooting

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i know this is about another wildcat but has anybody got a 22-6mm will they put the throttle down, and what kind of barrel life can you expect? thanks