THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Learning to shoot at 200 yards and 300 yards
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learning to shoot at 200 yards and 300 yards
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bucko:
Oh,, and by the way I forgot to thank you for the coolest idea of the year.
Painting the butcher paper was brilliant.

Your shotgun patterned quite well on it ...
rotflmo

That was my 10/22 at about 75.

Remember I said to use FLAT BLACK PAINT to eliminate the glare?

WOW! Hard to believe glossy black paint could be so hard to see at 75 yards. Cool

Remember, FLAT BLACK PAINT.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bucko:
So it is possible I suppose, hate to be betting on the odds of it happening that way though.
It could be parallax. The way to test this would be to swap scopes or better yet, put this scope on a known accurate rifle.

You are right. 100 yards is no big deal on parallax, but 300 would definetly make a difference.

I sent a Redfield Varminter scope back for repair a while back because the parallax could not be adjusted.
It was OK at 100-125 yards. You could turn the ring, but nothing happened.
Something came loose inside, they fixed it and the problem went away.

Although, if the image was clear at 200 and 300, the parallax should be working.
Mine never really cleared up completely. Past 125 or so the image was never sharp.

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
How about for less than ten cents apiece?

It works great!

I simply painted the slick side of butcher paper and bingo! El cheapo Shoot-N-C's.

No need for carpet mask, just paint and shoot.
Use cheap FLAT BLACK PAINT, I grabbed glossy and there was a lot of glare on it.

Fantastic! clap

So did you paint the paper after you stapled it up at the range?

Do you think you could pre-paint it at home and have it stay on?

Do you think the plywood backing was a necessary part of the process or would styrofoam poster board or cardboard work?

Just like me to overcomplicate things and spend too much money. Frowner

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
So did you paint the paper after you stapled it up at the range?

NO

Do you think you could pre-paint it at home and have it stay on?

THAT IS WHAT I DID

Do you think the plywood backing was a necessary part of the process or would styrofoam poster board or cardboard work?

I THINK ANYTHING WOULD WORK

DON'T DO THAT!!
Remember FLAT BLACK PAINT!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems rather obvious that both Woods and Flippy deserve a pat on the back.

Woods looked at an expensive product and figured out a way to make it himself, at less cost and it met the Design Requirement.

Flippy looked at Woods product, thought of an existing inexpensive material that eliminated part of the process, and ended up with less time involved(manufacturing), less items needed(reliability increase), at even less cost and it met the Design Requirement.

Design Engineers go through a similar sequence - on other Design Engineers products every day. It is often difficult for the originator of an idea to think beyond the original concept. Great job by both of you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hot Core is absolutely right.
If you hadn't given me the idea to use the slick carpet mask (very original and highly functional, I must add), I probably would not have tried painting butcher paper, at least for a great while.

Funny thing is, I have used butcher paper for targets on and off for many years. At one of the ranges I used to frequent, they even had a roll of it hanging to cover the target backs and to use for targets!
Using butcher paper was not the new idea, painting it was.

Kudos to you for doing the design concept and preliminary engineering.
thumb

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Hey Fella's, forgive me for sounding thick, but what is butcher paper,? is it what we call greaseproof? Confused

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Latham:
Hey Fella's, forgive me for sounding thick, but what is butcher paper,? is it what we call greaseproof? Confused
Not sure about greaseproof, but the name sounds like it could be.
What we call butcher paper (in the colonies!!) is the white paper that comes on a roll used in a butcher shop.
It is slick on one side (some kind of plastic-like coating) and plain on the other side.

The meat goes towards the slick side and the other side can be written on by a felt marker.

Like white craft paper with a slick side.
A type of it is sold by Reynolds by the roll as "Freezer Paper" in grocery stores in the states.
I am sure that it would work also.

---Mike

EDIT: I googled greaseproof and it is essentially waxed paper, not what I was talking about.

This would work great:
Freezer Paper

Or these:
Butcher Paper Sheets

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Trigger time is a great help in shooting distance.
I use a Rugar 77-22 an awful lot. When I pick up the Rugar 77-220 swift it feels the same althought the scope is different. All that trigger time helps when I pick up the Rugar 77-243 with yet a different scope. But the safeys are the same as is the balance.

We shoot a whole bunch of golf. I invite golfing shooting friends to come over when the haying is finished. I supply several buckets of driving range quality golf balls. They drive them out into the field and we take turns shooting them. That improves our distance estamateing a bunch as well as our shooting.We also shoot in the woods but their not allowed to use a driver there only a wedge.

I my self would not think the barrel is shot out since a smith looked at it before it was bought, and it will shoot tight at 100yds. I would start doing 22lr trigger time to improve breath control and trigger control. I would slowly increase the range with the swift in 50 yard increments just to see if at some point accarcey goes away.
I like the Swift and would never switch to any other except one of the 243-22 wild cats since I like that case a bunch.

Since I have my own range I don't have to wait on any one to tarrget check. Taking a nice stroll down range to check the target allows the barrel to cool some what between shots too.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:

I supply several buckets of driving range quality golf balls. They drive them out into the field and we take turns shooting them. Big Grin Al

popcornDo you use colored balls in the snow? homer How many cuttings a year do you get.? holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
It's been a bit over 40 years, the longest distance on our range was 250 yards. While I was in college with my rather new pre 64 Win Mod 70 featherweight 30-06 sub moa groups were commonplace at l00 yards, coke cans out at 250 were a piece of cake, even shooting at the ends. I usually zeroed initally at 25 yards and could hit anything with ease out to 250. Now all these years later my eyes and nerves are not as good and I do not shoot as often or as much so the groups are not as good. Also I don't like that long walk to the 250 yard mark and back as well.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Well, according to the chart on this website your twist should be 1 in 14 which is about the slowest you can get. With a 1 in 14 you should be able to shoot the lighter bullets best and should not be able to shoot any bullet over about 60 grains.

So twist is out of the equation unless the older Model 70's had a different twist.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
We never shoot at golf balls in the winter, just youtes and other legal game. Besides my golfing (3) friends are really sisies and will rarely go outside to play after the temps get below freezing. We seem to always get two cuttings a year and some times as many as 4.

Ya got to have rules in the shooting golf.
Number one rule is every one who drives a ball and shoots at a ball stays to clean up. If you break Number one rule you never ever get invited back to play again.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
quote:
Not sure about greaseproof, but the name sounds like it could be.
What we call butcher paper (in the colonies!!) is the white paper that comes on a roll used in a butcher shop.
It is slick on one side (some kind of plastic-like coating) and plain on the other side.

The meat goes towards the slick side and the other side can be written on by a felt marker.

Like white craft paper with a slick side.
A type of it is sold by Reynolds by the roll as "Freezer Paper" in grocery stores in the states.
I am sure that it would work also.

---Mike

EDIT: I googled greaseproof and it is essentially waxed paper, not what I was talking about.

This would work great:
Freezer Paper

Or these:
Butcher Paper Sheets
Thanks guy's, found something similar, "cool wrap", gonna give it a try! dancing

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guy's, found something similar, "cool wrap", gonna give it a try! dancing
You guys have such interesting names for things!

But I guess to you, we do too! Big Grin

I googled cool wrap, and nothing that came up was paper...

I hope this stuff works as good as ours did.
Let me know how it works.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Do you use colored balls in the snow?
Roger, my balls get a little colored in the snow... Cool

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, according to the chart on this website
Great website BTW. I found this several years ago, but lost it.

I saved it.

---Mike