THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    For All the 6.5 Creed Haters.........
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For All the 6.5 Creed Haters.........
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Maybe I missed it. What, again, are the ballistic differences (shooting the same bullet) between the Creedmore and the Swede 6.5 x 55?

Zero

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Maybe I missed it. What, again, are the ballistic differences (shooting the same bullet) between the Creedmore and the Swede 6.5 x 55?

Zero

Ted, what I find amusing here is some of these guys are so closed minded that they wanted time to stop right after their favorite cartridge was developed.
"no reason for anything new because my favorite does it all and does it best".
Funny or pathetic I can't decide which.
Even if I don't buy a Creedmore in 6.5 I am all for it.
It's popularity has made a huge variety of bullets available for all 6.5's / .264's that are accurate and long range capable and great for hunting no matter what cartridge you prefer.
Thank god some of these folks on this thread are not in charge of product development for ANY corporations or we'd be using stone knives and bear skins for eternity.
Wake up people the future is here and ANY cartridge that sparks additional interest in our shooting sports is a positive for all of us.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I don't hate the CM. It is an inanimate object. I dislike the seller telling the prospective buyer he has something different to sell. Do further development on the 308. T'would be cheaper. I am going for Encore barrels for the comparison. Will use faster twist and equal barrel lengths. Probably will do the 6.5x54 M/S first, as it was first in history. May end up not wasting my time with the CM and either barrel will cost the same in a custom barrel. Both to be 26" in length.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I always thought the 6.5x55 was the first.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

Zero

But you can’t buy 6.5x55 at local academy. 6.5 available when not sold out. 6.5 will be around for my lifetime just like 300 blackout.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
But you can’t buy 6.5x55 at local academy. 6.5 available when not sold out. 6.5 will be around for my lifetime just like 300 blackout.

Mike

Bingo. Joe public in America didn't know what a 6.5mm was until the Creedmoor. Only us fringe people were shooting 6.5s before it caught fire. 6.5 Creedmoor has already become a standard short action offering in almost all rifles. The 3 short action standards of 243, 7-08 & 308 seem to be shifting to 243, 6.5 Creedmoor and 308. I only get annoyed when new Creedmoor shooters think they are shooting something revolutionary. The 6.5x55 does the same thing and has been around since the 19th Century. The Creedmoor just took it mainstream.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

Bingo. Joe public in America didn't know what a 6.5mm was until the Creedmoor. Only us fringe people were shooting 6.5s before it caught fire. 6.5 Creedmoor has already become a standard short action offering in almost all rifles. The 3 short action standards of 243, 7-08 & 308 seem to be shifting to 243, 6.5 Creedmoor and 308. I only get annoyed when new Creedmoor shooters think they are shooting something revolutionary. The 6.5x55 does the same thing and has been around since the 19th Century. The Creedmoor just took it mainstream.

It is the number one selling caliber for new deer rifles at my gunsmith. There will be cheap ammo available.

I don’t reload - I would never buy a 6.5x55. Like my 9.3x62 - ammo is only available via mail order.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beretta682E
quote:
It is the number one selling caliber for new deer rifles at my gunsmith

caliber is bore size, or size of the bullet .26 , .264 , or 6.5 MM

6.5 creedmoor is the name of the cartridge or round.

there are a lot of .264 rounds on the market.. like my 260 Remington

just saying..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
beretta682E
quote:
It is the number one selling caliber for new deer rifles at my gunsmith

caliber is bore size, or size of the bullet .26 , .264 , or 6.5 MM

6.5 creedmoor is the name of the cartridge or round.

there are a lot of .264 rounds on the market.. like my 260 Remington

just saying..

True

But the only one you can buy at academy will be 6.5.l creedmoor.

6.5 is $1-$1.25 more expensive that 308 on math and good hunting ammo

Plain shooting ammo academy has 6.5 down to 12.99 a box.

This one is going to be around.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge was made by necking down the .30 TC cartridge, to 6.5 mm which in turn was made from the .307 Winchester. So, if the .30 TC would have been called the .30 CREEDMOOR it would have been a bigger seller..
if someone makes a 7mm-Creedmoor it would be a good seller.. its all in the NAME..
there is already a 6mm creedmore

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I started playing with the 6.5x55 about 30 years ago and never saw a need for another 6.5 until the Grendel came along. The old 6.5 will do just about anything the .260 and the Creedmore cartridges wil do if you load it up a bit. The Grendel is not in the same class but is a fine little fun cartridge.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 6.5's on a dozen or more case sizes, many of them overlap.
I don't have a 6.5 CM, but I will! Just sick that way. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have a 264 Win Mag, 260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have been shooting 6.5mm's for 40 years I will never stop. Cool

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting to follow this thread. My opinion: if someone wants a 6.5 Creedmoor, good on them, get one. It's a fine cartridge that won't do anything other 6.5s won't. That's not a bad thing, 6.5s are great, I shoot several. Let's be honest - the Creedmoor sells rifles and ammo and that's all good.

Let's be more honest - the hype is suffocating. I'm very tired of so many loud voices ballyhooing the minor, theoretical advantages it might have at ranges beyond 1,000 yards, something 99.9999% of shooters have no business with and never will. And amazed to hear shooters at the range repeat, in almost breathless tones, all the hype to me when they can't keep rounds in a 4" circle at 100 yards from prone unsupported. I usually just tell them, "Yep, that is a very nice new rifle you have there. I hope you keep enjoying it."

So, 6.5 Creedmoor shooters and advocates: Good for you. Keep shooting. It's a find round but no magic. The best way for anyone to improve their shooting, regardless of how their rifle is chambered, is to buy or load lots of ammo, get off the shooting bench and train more!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
260 Rem pros: Handloads can get about 50fps extra velocity. Brass can be made from 308. Brass last slightly longer than 6.5 Creed.

6.5 Creed pros: More versatility in seating depth make it better for using in magazine-fed precision rifles. Case design favors long, high-BC bullet use without sacrificing case capacity (with some VLD loads, I can actually put more powder in the Creed than the 260). Better brass availability. Much better factory ammo availability. Most rifles chambered in Creed have a better twist rate.

Hornady did a masterful job of not only marketing the 6.5 Creed, but also reading the market at the time and realizing that there was a big shift toward magazine-fed precision rifles. They saw that 308-based cartridges fired from these rifles were not friendly toward the new long high-BC bullets, and developed something that works better.

The 6.5 Creed is actually a really great little round for hunting and target shooting.

But personally, if talking about 6.5s, I would take the 6.5-284 over all of them!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that the only difference in most any of these caliber arguments is bullet placement and who is the better shot...I know I can kill an elk or deer with about any reasonable caliber at whatever distance I intend to shoot, if the bullet is proper weight and construction so that it performs as designed on game. Most proper bullets destroy lungs and heart and even if they just put a hole in the heart and lungs the result is a kill. Maybe Im too practical...It all campfire talk IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KY Nimrod:
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Blah blah blah blah....its all noise

I get it now, you don't want to be bothered with facts and like your discussions one way, "your way".
No problem I'll back out now, my mistake I thought we were having adult discourse here, should have known better.

You want to argue ballistics tables...I'm simply giving you the facts about how real long range competitors look at things.

I'll be the first to tell you I was a mediocre long range competitor because I just didn't do it enough compared to national match and service rifle competition--which I was pretty competitive in.

When it comes to long range shooters the truth is the competant shooters simply don't geek out over ballistics tables and trying to get that extra 1/4 moa advantage on the guy next to you. Because where the rubber meets the road there's a lot more important things when it comes to putting together a good shooting game....

I could not agree more! LR is all about wind, and you don't master that without shooting a lot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep wind is the evil villain, anyone can hold over..1 out of perhaps 10,000 can guess wind at 1000 yards and that includes the gadget on the scope that tells you the wind!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote