THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    For All the 6.5 Creed Haters.........
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For All the 6.5 Creed Haters.........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"Last Spring, USSOCOM undertook a study of 6.5 family cartridges to determine a path forward for Precision Intermediate Caliber Ammunition. Over the last year, USASOC, the primary driver of this initiative, narrowed it down to 260 Remington and 6.5 Creemoor. Testing indicated that the two calibers performed very closely.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
homerThe Creedmore is a nice thing+++
diggin The 6.5 Arasaka, 6.5 Carcano and the 6.5x54 would shine just as bright when loaded to the same pressure levels in a modern rifle. Those cartridges are over 100 yrs. old. The difference ??? Hi Intensity Marketing (Propaganda). beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't hate the 6.5 Creedmor, I just don't see the point in buying one.

I agree with Roger. I have a 260 and a 6.5x284 so the Creedmor wouldn't do anything these two won't.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
homerThe Creedmore is a nice thing+++
diggin The 6.5 Arasaka, 6.5 Carcano and the 6.5x54 would shine just as bright when loaded to the same pressure levels in a modern rifle. Those cartridges are over 100 yrs. old. The difference ??? Hi Intensity Marketing (Propaganda). beer roger

Agree!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
I do agree if you have a .260 and 6.5x284 you definitely don’t need a Creed. But if you have a .308 and you could find it in yourself to give a 6.5 Creed an honest try, the .308 will loose it’s appeal very quickly.

Todd

Agreed, which was the point in the OP. A guy can "woulda, coulda, shouda" the thing to death, but the fact remains they chose the 6.5CM/260Rem, not the other 6.5's.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Good for the troops. I'm not a sniper so I'll just hunt and kill things with my 308.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The real edge to the creedmoor is only in the very heavy caliber bullets, IMHO.

An ELD designed 308 @ 175/178 in a 308 win is very comparable to the 6.5 Creedmoor with a 147...

...but the 308 win just can't push a comparable BC bullet as fast as the creedmoor can, at least not that I can find as of yet...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 155 Tipped Matching with a .519 BC really closes the gap especially when you can launch them at about 2900 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yawn.....

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
What are the numbers in the "hold" column, I thought they were MOA but I am not sure they are when I run the data thru a ballistics calculator I get a 147 gr .264 with a BC of .697 has a hold over of 12.5 MOA at 500m with a 100m zero when launched at 2600.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All 6.5's definitely not created equal ! Some are old but in original form they were hardly long range tack drivers.

Here are some that I shoot.

From left to right:

6.5 Creedmoor ( 2 rifles one a new X bolt Eclipse hunter and the second a Ruger RPR

6.5x54 Mauser. ( The Kurz Mauser) not to be confused with the next round which is the mannlicher 6.5x54

The Kurz is actually not a 6.5 but a .261 caliber and it shot a 117 gr .261 bullet.
neither brass or bullets are available !
I have a Mauser model m rifle in this caliber.

The 6.5 x 54 MS one rifle in a original MS 1903 full stock.

6.5x55 here I have a sporterized Swede, some military carbines (short rifles), a custom 6.5 swede built in South Africa.

6.5x57 one rifle in Brno m21

6.5x68 two rifles one a Sauer and the other a custom Mauser the issue with this hot rod is the very slow twist barrel putting most popular 6.5 bullets out of reach. It was essentially made for the RWS 93 gr bullet.

.264 in a Remington... sadly the barrel is shot out.

and omitted from the line up my 6.5 x 58 P
I have a sporterized Vergueiro but no longer have ammo for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some original 6.5x57 rounds

Of all my rifles the little Brno 6.5 x57 is the rifle I have had the most offers to sell it. For some or other reason there are many many guys who want this caliber in this particular gun.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well I don't "hate" the Creedmore. I can see its use as a target round but since I already have a 6.5x55 I have absolutely no use for one. It does nothing that mine can't already do for hunting.

But if the Creedmore floats your boat than have fun. Just don't try to pretend it's radically different than something already invented more than a hundred years before.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
What are the numbers in the "hold" column, I thought they were MOA but I am not sure they are when I run the data thru a ballistics calculator I get a 147 gr .264 with a BC of .697 has a hold over of 12.5 MOA at 500m with a 100m zero when launched at 2600.

I believe it's MILS.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Scott

Well, I don't hate the 6.5 but this comparison lacks integrity.

They tested the 6.5 with modern ELD bullets with very high BCs and used it against the M118 that doesn't us an ELD bullet.

When you run the numbers for the 308 with a 155 ELD @ 2900, 168 ELD @ 2750, or 178 ELD @ 2700 the only advantage of the creedmoor is between is wind deflection @ 1000 yards and a moderate amount of energy. Evening dropping the 178gr vel to 2650 if you think 2700 is too aggressive the 308 is still reasonably

If you are going to compare a new design using the current components available you ought to compare it to the old design using the current components available.

The numbers are below. If I were on the design or acquisition review committee, I would have embarrassed the guy by asking:

So, how many millions of dollars less would we spend by simply letting a contract for a "M118-1" with a 175/178 grain ELD style bullet just like the ELD style bullets you are using for your new cartridge with modern propellants and what would the performance differences be?

No doubt the creedmoor is a great cartridge but this comparison is non-sense.

Those numbers should read more like 0% increase in effective range, 27% increase in energy on target, 40% decrease in wind effect.

I have no idea what they are using to calculate hit probability but I assume it is a combination of wind and drop.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Creedmoor = AR10

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand what the 6.5 Creedmoor offers over the 260, there's not enough difference to matter.

The 6.5mm Creedmoor case is essentially a shortened version of the .260. The .260 case will hold about 53.5 grains of water and the 6.5 Creedmoor case will hold about 52.5 grains of water. (Different brands of cases will vary, due to different wall thickness, etc.)

If the cartridges are loaded to the same MAP, the 6.5mm Creedmoor will do nothing that the .260 won't do and the .260 will give 0.48% more velocity (12-20 fps). (Using the old rule that 4% more case capacity gives 1% more velocity).

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hmm Todd,

The issue I have with your comparison is that a 143 6.5 is not equivalent to a 178 308. 185 308 is the better comparison.

I just re-ran the comparison of a 147 6.5 ELD to 200 gr 308 ELD and 185/308 here is what I get.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5CM and 260 are ballistic twins almost. The big difference is if you are a handloader or not. If you are, then have at it, if you're not the factory ammo for the 6.5CM is plentiful, and darn good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmm Todd,

The issue I have with your comparison is that a 143 6.5 is not equivalent to a 178 308. 185 308 is the better comparison.

I just re-ran the comparison of a 147 6.5 ELD to 200 gr 308 ELD and here is what I get.

Interesting numbers Mike. How do you think the recoil comparison will be between the two?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
JG & Todd,

Without a doubt the recoil is greater on the 308.

That being said, when we are talking about a long range rifle we are probably talking about a rifle weighing 8.5 to 10 or 11 lbs maybe even more in a military configuration and recoil becomes less of an issue.

There is no doubt that the 6.5 has an edge, in my opinion measurable smaller than depicted by this DoD presentation.

Having spent 20+ plus years as a sourcing professional (fancy name for purchasing), I have seen every type of misleading presentation covering toilet paper to terrabytes. When you look at comparing the 147 6.5 to the 200 308 @ 1000 yards you get which is the correct comparison based on equivalent weight for caliber, the 6.5 creedmor you get:

1) 0% increase in effective range as best I can tell.
2) a loss of energy on target
3) a 27% decrease in wind effect

Now since wind is the biggest issue at long range it may be worth it.

My real concern is this presentation is full of bias.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I think we disagree on the size of socks. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, just curious why you would think the USSOCOM would be biased towards the 6.5? Of what benefit would that be to them, since there obviously are lives at stake in their line of work?

It really is of no significance to me since I'm not a sniper, and just casually fart around with the 6.5.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
First to make sure my reference to bias is related to this is not a fair comparison. They should have used ELD bullets of similar weights and velocities achievable with modern propellants.

The cause of the bias or misrepresentation (despite "lives" being at stake) is because they are humans. The motivations are likely:

1) I need to justify my job and I can't spend a year researching something and essentially come back and say - nothing really worthwhile found.

2) There is a US mindset that is enamored with technology regardless of its practical application. I saw this a ton in the corporate world where you should be motivated by profit yet, the answer to every problem was a new system even though it costs tens of millions of dollars and was promoted by both IT and Business departments with no actual (as in NPV) business case.

3) The tactic of putting up 3 times the number of new projects as you really need because you will never get all the funding requested.

The above are the basic ones and there are slight variations but they come back to those basic there.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Absolutely.

When I had the responsibility of making these types of and/or creating them in the corporate world, I would always get asked - what do you care, it's not your budget?

My answer was always the same - setting aside my obligations to the stockholders, my primary obligation is for those who make the decision to be making an informed decision. I don't get to vote whether a 5%, 10%, or 20% improvement is worth $500K or $50 million but I do get a vote on the information being presented fairly.

JG - the other reason for the bias is "turf" as evidenced by the dozens of redundant weapons systems that already exist and inter-service rival - the Army will show the Marines they have a better sniper rifle of course the unified commands have lessened this.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I do have about a 1/2 lb of CFE-223. I should go get some of those Bergers 200 gr hybrids and see if 2580 fps is possible...

Since, I am lazy that will take me 3 months; then I can comeback revive a 90 day old thread and start a real pissing contest Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Todd,

But as you pointed out, the real difference is when you get out beyond 500 and especially beyond 800.

So if you were trying to maximize the 308, wouldn't you go with the heavier bullet, better, BC and less velocity? Because minimizing wind drift is more important than drop. That is a real question not a rhetorical one.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
For JG Raider,

You asked about why bias and I gave you some quick answers. What follows is all about why bias occurs.

If you reference back to the original post, you will notice the significant improvements (33%, 30%, & 40%) that were called out in the presentation. I am focusing on 1000 yards because that seems to be where they made the comparison.

However, comparing a 175 308 to a 147 6.5 is not apples to apples. The equivalent is a 200 grain 308.

So I used the 200 grn 308, and then I looked for the maximum velocity I could find for either projectile anywhere in those cartridges. Note, I significantly increased the 6.5 velocity because Hornady lists their factory ammo at that velocity. (the results are below)

The point about why does bias occur is...it is highly unlikely the leader of some research project is going to walk into a design review with their superior(s) and say:

After spending X thousands or even millions of dollars, we have uncovered some performance improvement in these areas but worse perfromance in these areas - please give us more money.

(BTW - I am not trying argue about the cartridges, or whether 1 is actually or practically better. I am only trying to illustrate why bias occurs in presentations)

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nobody likes a show off Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Dang Mike, I think I'm gonna have to return my Creed now!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed answer Mike. I was just curious.

Nice shooting there just a hunter. Wind is always the voodoo.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldNice pleasant discussion!!!A mind set can be an awfully strong unarguable stand!! 2020roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
oldNice pleasant discussion!!!A mind set can be an awfully strong unarguable stand!! 2020roger beer

It was a refreshing civil debate. I enjoyed it guys! I still won't be buying a Creedmoor with two 6.5x55s in the safe. beer

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:

It was a refreshing civil debate. I enjoyed it guys! I still won't be buying a Creedmoor with two 6.5x55s in the safe. beer

Didn't stop me, I like that the Creed fits in a more compact platform. Never met a 6.5 I didn't like. But true, if you have a 6.5x55 not much reason to get a Creed expect maybe if you don't handload cuz these days, 6.5 Creedmoor is offered in a multitude of loadings.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get it's appeal since I've been shooting the 6.5x55 for several years. The Creedmoor was marketed superbly, as Just-A-Hunter said, you can buy a $400 rifle and quality target ammo for $25 and go shoot long range. It makes things easy. My only annoyance is people acting like shooting a 140 grain 6.5 bullet at 2700 was invented by the maker of the Creedmoor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you're correct a 200 grain bullet would be a better comparison. However, the Army settled on the 175 grain Sierra MK as their long range bullet for the 7.62X51 cartridge, everything else uses a 147 grain FMJ. So of courses the Army is only going to test the .260/6.5 CM against what they already use.

What also is glossed over is that this testing is being done by Special Operations Command. All it really means is USASOC is considering replacing the 7.62X51 for their intermediate range round, it'll be many more years if ever before it trickles over to the rest of the Army. All I can say is while the 6.5 cartridges are good, they aren't going to replace the 7.62 NATO anytime soon.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Taylor,

Yes they did compare it to what they have; however, DoD and the Army have plenty of examples where upgrading elements or components of something was done for improvement.

The A6 airframe is such a fantastic base design, they simply changed out the avionics and weapons systems for close to 40 years on the same airframe.

M-16 platform - dozen plus modifications for various performance improvements.

When somebody woke up one day and said - "We need better performance at 1000 yards from our intermediate cartridge." They could have and i IMHO should have proceeded by saying lets consider:

Given the M118 was introduced in 1963 and there have been tremendous advances in bullet design and propellants since then and by the way, CFE-223 was developed for us the Army which gives another 50-75 fps and we have a whole host projectiles with better BCs let's look at what we can do with 7.62x51

I think the Creed is a great cartridge and if the military was starting from scratch with no budgetary considerations, I think the military should consider it.

But these two pages of this presentation, has "let me justify my pet project written all over it".

Maybe the rest of the presentation considers it but I would be surprised if it does.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
JG,

Do you have access to the rest of the presentation?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JG,

Do you have access to the rest of the presentation?

No sir I don't. Sorry about that.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
found the whole thing, it actually covers a whole host of weapons and related systems, just the one page on the Creed vs. 308.

https://ndiastorage.blob.core....nt/AshleyKeynote.pdf

What's funny/sad is that in the presentation there are highlights on drop and energy.

My understanding is that wind and when a bullet goes sub-sonic are bigger issues and neither of those is highlighted.

This presentation looks like an overview of entire program and the cartridge was just one element.

Mike