Notify
Tools

7x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Good God!! killpc

What happened to the thread 7x57s, discussing barrel lengths, and members showin' off photos of their rifles??

pissers

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question. I don't know. I kinda feel bad for everyone involved. Maybe this was brewing long ago and then one word lead to another. Oh well, I hope folks can keep a cool head and remember that after all, we are just a bunch of hunters and shooters bound by a common thread. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57mm is my absolute favorite caliber. Mine is a CZ 550 American. My brother owns a CZ 550 Full Stock with a 19.5 inch barrel. It gets an honest 2,665 fps with 160 grain Nosler Partitions and H 414 powder. Besides that, it will put three slugs into a 3/4 inch circle at 100 yards off a bench rest. My only gripe is folks limit it to being a great "deer gun." With my handloads, my rifle is a good elk rifle, a damn good deer rifle, a magnificient wild hog gun, hell on coyotes, an excellent antelope rifle capable of knocking the crap out of an antelope as far away as I would care to shoot. I think I would just like to say it is an exceptional big game rifle. I smacked a medium sized elk (a 5x5) at 325 yards with it. At the shot the bull backed up a couple of steps, sat on his butt for a brief second and fell over, no questions asked. Of course, that was a few years ago when my health was a whole lot better. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, those 130gr PMP bullets were definitely not up to the stresses imposed on them. Blow ups on impact were common even at the mundane 2624fps of the load.

Tom, I could not agree with you more. The notion of classing the 7x57 almost at the same level as a 30-30 is absurd.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like many others, I have also owned, and shot, a 7 x 57 for many years. I have shot more Elk with this particular caliber than any other caliber. In fact, when asked about the little 7mm, and it's performance, I often joke that the "mm" stands for Mostly Magic, referring to how well it gets the job done.

My current 7x57 is an exceptionally accurate "Liberty Model" Ruger Mdl 77. Top Tang. It originally came with the most Gawd Awful, ugly, out of proportion, stock you have ever seen. Once that was replaced with a nice piece of wood from Will Lauderdale of El Paso, TX....since the early 1980's it has become my "go to" gun for most all of my hunting.

The ballistics of the little seven are totally out of proportion to it's performance, and I personally like the old Hornady flat base 175gr at around 2300 fps for almost everything I do with this rifle.
The little 139gr is fun to shoot, and I can zip it along at speeds nearing the 3000 mark but, for whatever reason, I still have a strong preference for old 175gr for all my hunting. The longest shot I have ever taken on an Elk has been at about 220 yds....roughly measured by "pacing" the distance. And, consequently, since I keep my shots in such a range, and I don't try to shoot through 3 postal zip codes, it is a dandy of a rifle for all my hunting needs.

Russ...

Some mistakes are to much fun to make only once.

Posts: 65 | Location: Washington State, Columbia Basin | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Before the 1990's most SA hunters, having just been through the USA arms embargo, mostly used frangible conventional lead-core bullets, other than the select few who reloaded with better bullets, being Nosler Partition mostly, which was the mainstay for quite some time. Federal was the first to introduce premium bullets (TBBC & NP) in their factory line - a welcome option for the non-reloader.

PMP offered only 150 & 170 gr bullets in their ProAmmo range for the 7 x 57 since 1992. The 150 grainer is loaded to 2,493 fps and the 170 grainer to 2,428 fps. The 130 gr standard PMP bullet was not a seller - too frangible at higher velocity out to 200 paces. Notice that both ProAmm loads are modest, especially the 150 grainer. Little wonder that the notion became entrenched as a Bushveld caliber.

All slowish calibers could be referred to as bushveld calibers ... but they are not the same. In this regard a .30-30 Win will differ from a 7 x 57 as there are many other design differences that speak for itself. Some will misconstrue when it suits them.

Chris

Posts: 656 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Little wonder that the notion became entrenched as a Bushveld caliber.

All slowish calibers could be referred to as bushveld calibers

You remain the only person.........

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS:
"What is a coloquial (sic) opinion anyway?"
"If you have done so much hunting as you say you have, how come you do not have any pictures to back up your tales?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You remain the only person.........

Gerard,

There is no point in any further discourse with you. It is getting beyond the point of boredom and sanity. Making a statement like the above one, presupposes that you have solicited opinions of each and every hunter in SA, or failing that, that you must be clairvoyant.

Hell, the reference to the 7x57 must have hurt, even though that it is merely a convenience reference, based on a historical tradition. Apart from the Kynoch 173 gr bullet (British) that was used, the Germans had their RWS H-Mantel 173 gr. that they used for hunting.

Gerard, you do not smell like roses - your insulting statements about me abound . Just put some glasses on and you may recognise them:

"Your ignorance shows again"
"You are as thick as a brick, as usual"
"Six years of futile nitpicking and you have learned nothing"
"It has little to do with speed but I do not expect you to understand that."
"You are a despicable individual, making out that you are something you clearly are not. That is loathsome."

To argue with me over such a trivial matter as to how one refers to a particular caliber, is plain petty, silly, stubborn, and ridiculous.

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Making a statement like the above one, presupposes that you have solicited opinions of each and every hunter in SA, or failing that, that you must be clairvoyant.

It is simple. Having been in business as a custom rifle maker and arms dealer since 1979, I have a gunsmithing customer base in excess of 6000. You remain the only person.........

Regarding why I point out your constant flow of mistakes: I will not allow you to pontificate on technical matters, pretending to speak for the industry as it were, when you are not qualified to do so. You have an agenda of slander and attacks on GSC that spans a six year period and as I said in the quote above:
"You are a despicable individual, making out that you are something you clearly are not. That is loathsome."

In fact, you fit the definition of a troll perfectly.
troll

UNANSWERED QUESTION:
"If you have done so much hunting as you say you have, how come you do not have any pictures to back up your tales?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have an agenda of slander and attacks on GSC

Gerard,

I cannot let this one stand. I have no agenda of slander against GSC. I have complimented your innovative design and precise machining of your bullets many a time. I differ in opinion on the terminal effect. You just cannot stand an opposing view; that is a CHARACTER TRAIT that has nothing to do with your bullets.

Your metion of 6000 customers surely do not relate to tthe 7x57 or that you have solicited them individaully, unless you do it remote control - all being in their sleep, with diagnostic feedback transmitted by brain waves.

Name calling or your slanderous remarks will get you no where.

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, you fit the definition of a troll perfectly.
troll

UNANSWERED QUESTION:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 7x57 is a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle with a 22 inch barrel and a Boyd's Laminated Thumbhole stock. Would someone here on this site be able to post a pic of it for me here??
My 139 grain load is 52 grains of H4350 and gets into the 2900 fps range.
Email me at deerslayer@shaw.ca for a pic of the 7x57. Thanks , John

Free speech has been executed on the altar of political correctness.

Posts: 100 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John's 7x57

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Gerard for posting pics of the 7x57. The stock was finished with 4 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil after the surface being prepped for 4 hours with steel wool.

Free speech has been executed on the altar of political correctness.

Posts: 100 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote