Find
Notify
Tools

17/357 Maximum ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted
I was reading about 17 calibers and ran across this one. Caught my interest. Does anyone have any loading, velocity or accuracy information on it? Would love to hear of your experiences good or bad. Planning a 17 caliber 16-17 inch barrel for a Contender and would like a rimmed case. Very early in the planning stages so all input will be appreciated. Also would like to know what other 17's are close to this one in velocity and case size. No particular end use in mind just want to make real little holes from a long way off.

Thanks in advance
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2692 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That has to be a pain to neck down. What shoulder angle does it have? Should make a nice round for a handi rifle.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
17/221 Fireball would be my pick. Its not rimmed but I have no problems extracting rimless cases in either of my Contender actions. The 17 Fireball will give you nearly everything the 17 Remington will, with half the powder. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good plan, K.I.S.S. is never a bad way to go.

I Do seem to recall years back a Guns and Ammo article, seems like a 17/44, in a Martini set in a neat custom thumbhole synthetic or painted stock. Used for Chucks IIRC from a golf cart....

Not sure it did anything a 17 Rem or 17 FB would do. Had a shooting partner years ago, had briefly a 17/222 on a short bbl 788. Made a mess on sparrows Wink Seemed like a grenade detonated inside them, they just POPPED!

Someday I will have to try 17s and maybe 20s....but I will try using a Saami round myself. Love shooting, not so much love for time/energy loading anymore, so I don't like adding more work than I have to, but that's just me.

There was a time.......

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to reload just to be reloading. Now I would lots rather shoot. I'm only guessing but I don't think there would be a lot of difference in case capacity by the time you put a neck on the 357 max. I don't have either case to find out how many grains of water they hold so i'll still stay with the 17 fireball. If you just have that burning need to wildcat, well then more power to ya. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try www.saubier.com and search for the .17 Max and/or 17 Wenzl Special

It's been done.

Posts: 45 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornA short necked 17-.222 R. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
17-219 zipper AKA 17 Zipper

Would have the same capacity as the 204 Ruger but cheap rimmed brass.

That would be a sweet sexy stinger

Here is the 22 version

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are set on a rimmed 17 caliber case based on the .357 mag, it will be easier to start with a case that is already necked part way there. Consider the .256 Win or .22 Jet. The .222 Rimmed is a bit longer, but I liked working with it when I had a Martini Cadet so chambered.

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
17 Ackley Bee???
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wonder if anyone added one of these to his Deer Poaching Battery down in the Carolinas?

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote