THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Firform load accuracy in a K-Hornet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firform load accuracy in a K-Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Conventional wisdom dictates that fireforming loads for improved chambers provide marginal accuracy. Some people even refuse to use fireforming loads for hunting and varminting, prefering to simply shoot them at beer cans, etc.

I was doing some sight checking on my K-Hornet yesterday, and while I knew that the fireform loads were decent, I hadn't realized that they were virtually as good (in terms of accuracy) as the K-loads. I'm using 12 grains of IMR-4227 behind a Sierra 45 grain (not Hornet) bullet for 2650 fps in my fireform load. They print 3/4" higher than my regular load (40 gr BTip @ 3000 fps), but the groups consistently hover near a half-inch for either.

Moral to story: Don't write off your fireforming loads as wasters.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm in total agreement.... my fireforming loads always shoot within an inch or so at 100yds... definitely not a waste of powder and primer...
I use AA1680 and a 40gr jacketed HP bullet, and get about 2700-2800fps...

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine K-hornets all print well when fireforming. but be sure to try lil'gun powder. Give about 200 FPS more than 4227

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Besides Lil' Gun, try small (pistol) primers and crimping with a Lee Factory crim die.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A faverite of mine in the hornet is 10.3 of H4198 behind a 40gn pill and 11.2 of the same for the "K" with the 40gn. This is AR2207 in auz it almost fills the case.Which gives the best results with these powders

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also use small pistol primers in some of my loads... but I've noticed that in the warmer loads, with Lil Gun (only because this is the one I use with my warm loads)... that my loads start showing "high pressure signs" on the primers.... cratering, even piercing on rare occasions. I switch to small rifle primers, and those signs go away... I have always attributed that to the softer cups in the pistol primers... anybody else had similar experiences?

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornetguy2:
I also use small pistol primers in some of my loads... but I've noticed that in the warmer loads, with Lil Gun (only because this is the one I use with my warm loads)... that my loads start showing "high pressure signs" on the primers.... cratering, even piercing on rare occasions. I switch to small rifle primers, and those signs go away... I have always attributed that to the softer cups in the pistol primers... anybody else had similar experiences?

Yep, the pistol primers will typically give you craters and piercings at pressures that the "tougher" (thicker cups?, harder alloy?) rifle primers won't. But I think that's an advantage in a Hornet. When you reach the point that pistol primers crater, back off a tad, and your cases will last longer and your gun won't be in any strain. I like to keep my Hornet loads pretty mild in terms of velocity, anyway, since I have numerous larger .22 centerfires when I want or need more velocity.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have found the Remington 6 1/2 primer to work great with all my Hornet loads.....

none of the "issues" with SP primers mentioned here....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with small pistol primers in my regular Hornet. My load is 13gr Lilgun under a 45gr bullet. Have you tried small pistol mag primers?

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote