Find
Notify
Tools

What .223 should I buy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Confused Within the last couple years I've gotten rid of 3 .223s and no longer have one.
I am looking to buy the best over the counter rifle I can get. Roll Eyes

oldThe chosen rifle will be mostly used to accurately punch holes in paper but will not be competition grade. It will need a 1:9 twist and perhaps a stout varmint barrel. The most resent .223 I sold was a Savage 12 bv ss-s. It was just fine (<1MOA)except the accutrriger acted up a couple times.
popcorn Been also thinking a good bolt action tactical would be the answer.

What I'd like to have from you are recommendations based on actual experience or acquired knowledge.
In summary it should be an over the counter .223 of good quality, adjustable trigger, capable of <1 moa. with bullets up to 75 grains, not intended for competition.
fishingyour help will be appreciated. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I bought a Stevens 200 when they first came out. it was intended for a project that never materialized. Went on a prarie dog shoot witha friend who needed a rifle. I unwrapped the Stevens, cleaned it, mounted a scope and we went shooting. That thing will shoot 5/8" all day with bulk Federal Ammo. It has a 9" twist so will handle the longer bullets too.

Has a standard sporter weight barrel but given the small bore, it doesn't heat too fast.

Now you know why the project never materialized.

My old pre-accutrigger Savage 10FP had a heavier barrel and was also a great shooter.

I have three .223's, A Ruger, the Stevens, and a CZ. All will shoot sub-moa easily but only the Stevens has the fast twist you require. The newer Rugers have a 9" twist.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I like the Savage. I woud ditch the trigger and get one from Sharpshooters. Works great and easy to install. mine is adjustable to about 4 ounces.
If it doesnt come with the larger bolt handle I would also get one from sharpshooters. No I am not a salesman or hold any interest excep what I get works.
I cant help it, I modify all my rifles to fit my liking. and If you can afford it get a nightforce scope. I never shot many 1 hole groups untill I got it.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Savage. Seeing that a the tactical aspect interests you, I would recommend the Precision Carbine. A while back I was looking for a 308 Win that had the same criteria that you are looking for in a 223. Scottfromdallas recommended to me the Precision carbine as he has one in the 223. I am glad he did because I'm thrilled to death with mine. Perhaps Scott will chime in to give you his experience with the 223 PC that he owns.

The accutrigger can be fussy such as on your 12 bvss. I have trouble with mine in 204 Ruger if I close the bolt too hard. I have NOT had any problems with the accutrigger on my PC.

There are a lot of fine rifles out there but in my experience you'll have a hard time getting a bigger bang for your buck than the Savage.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rog,

I'm a Savage fan too because they cater to Lefties.

Although you're not a L/H shooter; so ..... if it was my cash money on the barrel-head I'd opt for the simple, inexpensive, 20" heavy-barreled Howa with a Hogue rubber-coated stock in either Black, O.D. Green or Tan - all three look pretty spiffy for my taste and I've adjusted some of their tiggers to a very satisfactory pull,too.

Every time I go back to South Dakota to pot P-Dogs, all my Buddies shoot them in .223 Rem & 308 Win and rave about value & accuracy; when they get shot out they have a new barrel screwed on - Violá.

If they made a Leftie in that Model there'd be one living in my Safe.

Have fun looking for your .223 Shooter.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Why 223? Prepping?
Single shots?
I would love to see a Ruger Scout rifle in a 223 that takes ar15 mags.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands down -COOPER-

I own a Montana Varmiter that shots it 1/4 on the rare days I do my job- and its just average amounts those my friends have. One hole groups are the norm.

Several models, most with fairly heavy barrels.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I bought a Stevens 200 when they first came out. it was intended for a project that never materialized. Went on a prarie dog shoot witha friend who needed a rifle. I unwrapped the Stevens, cleaned it, mounted a scope and we went shooting. That thing will shoot 5/8" all day with bulk Federal Ammo. It has a 9" twist so will handle the longer bullets too.

Has a standard sporter weight barrel but given the small bore, it doesn't heat too fast.

Now you know why the project never materialized.

My old pre-accutrigger Savage 10FP had a heavier barrel and was also a great shooter.

I have three .223's, A Ruger, the Stevens, and a CZ. All will shoot sub-moa easily but only the Stevens has the fast twist you require. The newer Rugers have a 9" twist.

old Owned the Mod. 200. It shot just fine but even after I reworked the trigger It wasn't the rifle I am now looking for. Thanks beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An 1885 with the 28" octagon barrel. That's what I have and it shoots very tiny groups...plus the extra velocity of the longer barrel, w/o making the rifle too long helps a lot. They sure do look purdy too.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Check out the new Howa's. It's very similar to a Sako action, butter smooth, superb quality and the new two stage triggers are awesome. They have some great packages available which include hogue stocks and Nikko scopes. For a hundred bucks you can get bottom metal and a detachable magazine. They are also available in just a barreled action configuration. For years I looked down my nose at Howa's, but after checking them out they seem like a great value.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'll throw in a vote for the various cz 527's

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold off 2 ,223 rifles and a 222 in the last year and decided I needed another. I ended up with a Tikka t-3 in 223. I like the clip magazine, I like the trigger and I like the fact it shoots sub 1 inch groups at 200 yds from the bench. They are worth a look.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThanks for your input. beer roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
i just got back from the sportsman warehouse, they have a savage 11 hunter model 223 with scope. no accu-trigger $399.99

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My votes go to either a Tikka varmint which shoot very well and the trigger is easily adjustable, or the CZ 527 Kevlar model, a gun I used to own. Love those easily adjustable single set triggers, never cared about all the crap about the backwards safety's as I seldom use a safety. Never cared about the hanging down mag as I can't see when I'm shooting my bug hole groups. And if it really bothers you Calhoon sells a very nice single shot adapter and he has done some bolt bending for CZ rifles so you do not have to use high rings.
I use these single shot adapters for all of my CZ hornet rifles including my 19 Calhoon, why hurt your old arthritic fingers and thumbs if you don't have to. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I have a 700 Remington that I bought used, cleaned the bore, free floated the barrel, and adjusted the trigger to my liking and it flat shoots! The barrel cleans up very easily.
The first group(5 shots) you can cover with a dime and have some change left over.
In case you're interested the load is as follows: Once fired Remington brass, Rem 7 1/2 primers, 21.5 gr. RL 7 and 55gr. Sierra spitzers. This would be my pick If I were you.
And being USA made doesn't hurt either.
That's my 2 cents.PM your mailing address and i'll send you a copy of the target if you want.
I used to think the barrel had to be as big as a truck axle to shoot, it ain't so, this one is a sporter weight, no more 13# plus rifles for me.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Steyr Ultra Light in 223 at a very good price..WAY below retail...its a tack driver. I don't think Steyr could sell them...the larger calibers sold better. Worth looking for.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Tikka.
I won a T3 lite in a raffle two years ago.
It was finicky to start with but I now have two loads it shoots very well,half MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
Trigger is great right right out of the box, but also adjustable. Comes with rings and bases.
The barrel is 1/8 twist which gives you more flexibility with bullet weights.

Howard

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Why 223? Prepping?
Single shots?
I would love to see a Ruger Scout rifle in a 223 that takes ar15 mags.

Boomy, you like the Amish assault rifle? Your arm will get awfully tired with a 30 round AR mag. Smiler

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
The most resent .223 I sold was a Savage 12 bv ss-s. It was just fine (<1MOA)except the accutrriger acted up a couple times.
popcorn Been also thinking a good bolt action tactical would be the answer.

Bartsche,

I have a Save Precision Carbine in 223. Most accurate rifle I've ever owned. 1 in 9 twist shoots everything I've tried including 75 Hornadys to dime size groups. Doesn't matter the powder or bullet, just works. Like yours, my accutrigger acts up every once and a while. I just decided to live with it because it's such an accurate rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott--Why does your rifle have two sling studs up front? Is one for varmint and the other for deer hunting? BTW my .223 is a Win model 70 and it seems to shoot any jacketed bullet that I have tried, but I have found no cast bullet it will shoot.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Scott--Why does your rifle have two sling studs up front? Is one for varmint and the other for deer hunting? BTW my .223 is a Win model 70 and it seems to shoot any jacketed bullet that I have tried, but I have found no cast bullet it will shoot.

Ray, one is for the sling and the other for a bipod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, maybe one day I'll attach a bipod.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I received you're e-mail but i'm not set up to send pictures, snail mail is my only option.
Send or PM your mailing address and i'll send a copy of the target.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Savage 'Hog Hunter'. 20" heavy barrel,synthetic stock,accutrigger,threaded for suppressor 1-9 twist. What more could you ask for. Mine shoots 1/2" all day long with whatever is the cheapest ammo around. I totally reccommend it. Incidentally it comes with the huge ugly bolt handle which was the only thing I changed. It was a simple job and it makes a decent looking rifle out of it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
Did you get the target yet? I sent it to the San Gabriel address that you provided. It was sent on 12-18 and this is the 23rd?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
Roger,
Did you get the target yet? I sent it to the San Gabriel address that you provided. It was sent on 12-18 and this is the 23rd? Stepchild

tu2 Got the target and thank you . You and that rifle do so nice work. I definitely will keep that rifle in mind. beer roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
This rifle has a 1-12 twist and as you can see does a decent job with 55's. As far as i'm concerned if you want to shoot bullets 70gr or above shoot a 6m/m or above. Merry Christmas.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roger,
This rifle has a 1-12 twist and as you can see does a decent job with 55's. As far as i'm concerned if you want to shoot bullets 70gr or above shoot a 6m/m or above. Merry Christmas.
Stepchild

WinkI think there is a bit of wisdom in that statement. clap And a very Merry Christmas to you and your family beerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the remington pump made to take AR mags.

I have 6 or so maybe more 223s in the house at this time.

The most accurate by far is the savage tactical when I as doing a little reloading room cleaning I found a 300 yard 5 shot target that is under 1.5 inchs shot with it.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by p dog shooter:
How about the remington pump made to take AR mags.

I've shoot the Rem pump and was not impressed for my use. beer roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
It's your money and your choice but in your initial post you said your primary purpose was to shoot targets, back in the day all .224 rifles had 1-14 twist barrels and set benchrest records with that configuration. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Stepchild

Merry Christmas to you and yours and to ALL the Accurate members, you to don.

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
The target I sent was the first group out of this rifle after the earlier mentioned mods.
There's little doubt that up or down a tenth or 2 would shrink the group size a bit, but why?
Love your hat by the way.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Love your hat by the way.
Stepchild

My wife use to make this style hat for the patients at the CITY of HOPE. beer Merry Christmas to all.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishing I'm going to call my buddy tomorrow and get prices on the CZ 527 varmint in .223 ,12 twist, walnut stock. Thanks for all the help. I already own the 527 .222 American and love that trigger. The action took a little stoning but now it is a beaut. All your in put really helped and the logic with regard to twist made a lot of sense. I Hope your Christmas was top shelf. beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPMS Sweet 16. Shoots sub MOA and will be far more useful than any bolt gun when the poop is flying off fan blades. All you need to add are optics and a good trigger.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancingGot the CZ Varmint in .223 with the laminated stock. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2 Better than MOA out of the box. claproger beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just now saw this thread, and was going to suggest the CZ 527, but see I am too late. Congradulations (again I guess, since you already had another)! I love my American in .223. For awhile I was wishing it had a 1 in 9 twist, but then I came around to the same way of thinking. Really, the forte of the .223 is 40 to 55 grain bullets. Let it do, what it does well, which is a sub 300 yard varmint rifle. If I need more, further, faster, flatter, more whomp-um, then it really is simple. Pick up my .220 Swift, or my fast-twist 260 with VLD's, and let them do what they do best. 40 grainers screaming out of a .223 can be alot of fun too.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
tu2 Better than MOA out of the box. claproger beer

Congrats Roger. CZ makes a good rifle.