New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I crazy?
 Login/Join

<dr280>
posted
I have a new Ruger Number 1 on layaway, caliber is .280. I own an M77 in .280 now, so I have been throwing the idea around of a different caliber. A buddy suggested a .300 Win Mag- great for anything I'd ever want to hunt(or could afford to hunt). So, after lots of research- I have settled on the .300, but now thoughts of a single shot may not be the best plan. I'd love to own #1 and really can't get the cons of only one shot- to outweigh the pros. I never load my M77 with more than 3- and having harvested 14 whitetails with it, have NEVER shot more than once. So.... will I ever have to shoot more than once at an elk, or caribou, or moose- so fast that I can't reload a #1 fast enough?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having carried a no 1 for years I can only think of once that a deer got away because I could not load it fast enough. I was 15 below and I had to carry my extra ammo in my pocket to keep from frezzeing my fingers. Other wise I carried them in between them on my non trigger hand. i like a no 1 and most of the time they are plenty fast enough.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Ruger #1, I think they are a fine rifle. I have owned a couple and they were accurate.
I prefer bolt actions,even though I seldom need more than one shot on game. It is just that sometimes I may be shooting at more than one animal at the same time. As well it is cold where I live most of the time and with gloved hands it is nice to have ammo in the mag box. Around camp, on the side of my horse, when I fetch water or wood or go to take a sh!t, it is nice to always have a mag box full of ammo and a bolt closed on an empty chamber.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
dr280,

I've shot a Ruger #1 for years in 25-06 V. In that time I've killed all kinds of varmints, several antelope, some HUGE muley's, and last fall a whitetail of unusual size. All critters have bit the dust in a single shot (faster than I could open the action) except one. That muley required a second only because I didn't do my part on the first.... but the first hit him so hard he didn't go anywhere!

I went from a bolt to the single shot and I think there is a mental change that goes with it. When you know one is all you get, you make damn sure it matters! I I think if you already have an M77 in .280 the #1 in the same caliber would make an excellent companion!

Most importantly, please realize with full confidence that your M77 .280 is a fine match for anything you'll hunt on this continent. Elk, caribou, and moose especially!

If I can ever afford to go to after dangerous game, I gaurentee that I'll buy a .375 or .416 just for the occasion. But not until then, and not on speculation that I someday might.

Just my 2 cents for you. But the #1 is a damned fine rifle to own!

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Except for the case of having to shoot with gloved hands in extremely cold weather, if you are willing to practice speed shooting (and loading) with the No. 1 by keeping extra rounds between the fingers of the supporting hand, as was mentioned, you can shoot aimed shots and reload just as fast as someone working a bolt gun, at least up to three rounds.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Update-
the M77 is gone- wouldn't shoot consistent groups for nothing. One group .5- next gorup 1.25 etc, etc. Got the .300 in #1 and after one box of 150 grainers- decided the .280 was more my style. I like to shoot alot- and you can't very well shoot a .300
A-LOT in one setting. SO- I now have a new #1 in .280. Have been posting test results in the favorite load section. And- I chose the .280 ten years ago- knowing full well that it is very capable taking any animal- with well placed shots.

<eldeguello>
posted
I don't believe you will regret getting the No. 1. Years ago, all my rifles were bolt-actions. I now have 2 BA's left, but have 3 No.1's, a No. 3, a Dan Fraser .22 Hornet, and a Thompson-Center TCR with 3 barrels. Love the single-shot!!