The Accurate Reloading Forums
Am I crazy?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6711043/m/31210818

22 February 2002, 15:15
<dr280>
Am I crazy?
I have a new Ruger Number 1 on layaway, caliber is .280. I own an M77 in .280 now, so I have been throwing the idea around of a different caliber. A buddy suggested a .300 Win Mag- great for anything I'd ever want to hunt(or could afford to hunt). So, after lots of research- I have settled on the .300, but now thoughts of a single shot may not be the best plan. I'd love to own #1 and really can't get the cons of only one shot- to outweigh the pros. I never load my M77 with more than 3- and having harvested 14 whitetails with it, have NEVER shot more than once. So.... will I ever have to shoot more than once at an elk, or caribou, or moose- so fast that I can't reload a #1 fast enough?????
22 February 2002, 16:21
p dog shooter
Having carried a no 1 for years I can only think of once that a deer got away because I could not load it fast enough. I was 15 below and I had to carry my extra ammo in my pocket to keep from frezzeing my fingers. Other wise I carried them in between them on my non trigger hand. i like a no 1 and most of the time they are plenty fast enough.
22 February 2002, 17:42
Yukoner
I like Ruger #1, I think they are a fine rifle. I have owned a couple and they were accurate.
I prefer bolt actions,even though I seldom need more than one shot on game. It is just that sometimes I may be shooting at more than one animal at the same time. As well it is cold where I live most of the time and with gloved hands it is nice to have ammo in the mag box. Around camp, on the side of my horse, when I fetch water or wood or go to take a sh!t, it is nice to always have a mag box full of ammo and a bolt closed on an empty chamber.

Daryl

04 March 2002, 06:59
<waldog>
dr280,

I've shot a Ruger #1 for years in 25-06 V. In that time I've killed all kinds of varmints, several antelope, some HUGE muley's, and last fall a whitetail of unusual size. All critters have bit the dust in a single shot (faster than I could open the action) except one. That muley required a second only because I didn't do my part on the first.... but the first hit him so hard he didn't go anywhere!

I went from a bolt to the single shot and I think there is a mental change that goes with it. When you know one is all you get, you make damn sure it matters! I I think if you already have an M77 in .280 the #1 in the same caliber would make an excellent companion!

Most importantly, please realize with full confidence that your M77 .280 is a fine match for anything you'll hunt on this continent. Elk, caribou, and moose especially!

If I can ever afford to go to after dangerous game, I gaurentee that I'll buy a .375 or .416 just for the occasion. But not until then, and not on speculation that I someday might.

Just my 2 cents for you. But the #1 is a damned fine rifle to own!

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

04 March 2002, 08:39
Big Bore
Except for the case of having to shoot with gloved hands in extremely cold weather, if you are willing to practice speed shooting (and loading) with the No. 1 by keeping extra rounds between the fingers of the supporting hand, as was mentioned, you can shoot aimed shots and reload just as fast as someone working a bolt gun, at least up to three rounds.
04 March 2002, 15:59
<dr280>
Update-
the M77 is gone- wouldn't shoot consistent groups for nothing. One group .5- next gorup 1.25 etc, etc. Got the .300 in #1 and after one box of 150 grainers- decided the .280 was more my style. I like to shoot alot- and you can't very well shoot a .300
A-LOT in one setting. SO- I now have a new #1 in .280. Have been posting test results in the favorite load section. And- I chose the .280 ten years ago- knowing full well that it is very capable taking any animal- with well placed shots.
05 March 2002, 05:42
<eldeguello>
I don't believe you will regret getting the No. 1. Years ago, all my rifles were bolt-actions. I now have 2 BA's left, but have 3 No.1's, a No. 3, a Dan Fraser .22 Hornet, and a Thompson-Center TCR with 3 barrels. Love the single-shot!!