THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    m96 "bubba'ed" mauser thoughts?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

m96 "bubba'ed" mauser thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been looking to grab a rifle in this caliber for a while and recently saw a bubba'ed M96.

It has the barrel cut to 17.5" and a synthetic stock and the silly scout set up (no rear sight)

Anyway, the price is good and I am thinking this could fill the need (re:want) for a mild recoiling working rifle.

Thinking to add mojo's snap sights, I had them on a K31 and they worked rather well. Then add a Warn scope mount and a 2x8 nikon on top.

What are the thoughts on the 6.5x55 for hogs? I have read allot about the round, how it is used for everything in the Nordic countries but was hoping someone here might have personal experience. I am slightly concerned about the barrel length but it is what it is Roll Eyes

Thank you ahead of time

Posts: 51 | Location: NTX / NWPA | Registered: 11 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Bubba Waffen. Love it.
For a hog stalking rifle may I suggest a red dot?
With that short barrel perhaps a brake and some ear plugs.
To make it proper bubba you need some camo.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My youngest boy took a 175 Whitetail with his 6.5x55 shooting a 100 gr Nosler BT at 2700 fps. He was only 8 YO.

We put it together for him using a SR Mexican 98 and a takeoff carbine barrel 17".

He will use the 6.5x55 til we finish up his 7x57.

I have used the 6.5x55 on whitetail, pronghorn, and hogs with nary a complaint.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I shot 2 hogs with a 6.5x55 and used Rem Core locked bullets, both dead hogs one shot each, no complaints from the hogs. I used a 3-9 scope on it for the opportunity of hogs out feeding in fields. Both hogs were under 200 and over 100 pounds.
Mine was also a M96
Good luck with yours.

Mike
Congratulations to your son great job. Taking kids hunting is a blast!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornMade a 6.5x55 with a 16" barrel -open sights -easy carry. Only used it twice on game. Two mule deer 1 buck and 1 mature doe; bang flops. The rifle weighed 5 1/2 # and was a beast to sight in on a bench. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcornMade a 6.5x55 with a 16" barrel -open sights -easy carry. Only used it twice on game. Two mule deer 1 buck and 1 mature doe; bang flops. The rifle weighed 5 1/2 # and was a beast to sight in on a bench. beer roger

I have one like that. It was a 94 carbine before Interarmco decided it might sell better if remarked as a G33/50.

Very light handy rifle with open sights.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I was going to add my opinion to the thread...

...but every time I scroll past Z's "video"...

...I forget what it was...

?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those 6.5 with their long skinny bullets out perform and out penetrate what you think they will for such a small caliber.

Posts: 17285 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
I was going to add my opinion to the thread...

...but every time I scroll past Z's "video"...

...I forget what it was...

?

yuck Yeah, just try not watching!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote