THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    why are there no 140 grain 257 bullets?????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why are there no 140 grain 257 bullets?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
seems to me that the 140 grain .257 bullet with a s.d. of .303 would be great...where are they???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
thanks!...how would they be for hunting???

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

slower

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
deer dont care if the bullet comes at 2700 or 3700...they will die all the same but bullet performance does matter.

i just like heavy bullets but i know you dont need them...just a matter of philosophy

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Boomer:

Scroll down the list and you will see the calibers repeat these are the bonded core hunting bullets. I have not shot shot them but any review I have seen of these bullets has been favorable.

Just wondering what twist you would need for a 140 or so? Roy's .257 would be insane with a 140 I wonder how fast you could chuck em?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you can always go from 257 bore up 7/1000ths and go with a 6.5 bore....

then you have 140s, 142s, 150s 156s and 160s...

This is why I have a batch of 6.5s and no 257 Bore rifles....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wondering what twist you would need for a 140 or so? Roy's .257 would be insane with a 140 I wonder how fast you could chuck em?

264 Win Mag maybe??? answer that question???

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, your're so logical !! clap Many years ago I played with the numbers ,graphing SD vs bore and was surprized to see the SD jump when you got to the 6.5 even without considering the 160.So I made a 6.5x55 ! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick, I have a 257 Weatherby on a Rem 700, Krieger 26 inch 7 twist barrel, and Boyds Boys Laminated Stock.

Using Norma 257W brass I was getting 2,870 - 2900 fps with the Wildcat 156 grain ULD, which was only about 70fps more than my 25/06AI would drive the same bullet from a 24 inch barrel.

However, I necked down some 300 Winchester Magnum brass, and am now able to get 2950 - 2975 with the 156 grain bullet.

The Wildcat 156 grain bullet is made from a Corbin tapered jacked, is 1.550 inches in length, has a SD of .337.(Sierra 30cal 220MK has a SD of .331) Due to the tough jacket and high SD, this bullet really penetrates well.

My 257W also drives the Wildcat 142 grain ULD (1.362 inches) to 3175 fps, but I havent yet chronographed the Wildcat 125 grain ULD.

My 25/06AI has a Shilen 24 inch 1 in 10 twist barrel, and shoots accurately both the 125 grain ULD (3225 fps), and the 130 grain Bonded Core Flat Base Hollow Point. (3150 fps) However, somewhat predictably it won't stabilise the 142 grain ULD at 3,050 fps, or the 156 grain ULD at 2,830 fps.

Hope that the above is of some help. Brian.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffeeEven though I really like the 6.5s I've always thought there was a void of heavy bullets in the fast 25s. IMHO A long throated 26-06 pushing a 142gr. premium bullet would put a rifle of that caliber in a whole new catagorie. shocker Right on Boomer, thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
264 Win Mag maybe??? answer that question???

There you go with all that logic again! Damn no more mental drooling for me.

None the less with the velocity's Brianw posted and a high bc with the heavy Wildcats a door might be opened for the .257 for shooting long range if one was so inclined. I don't think it would make everyone scramble to drop their 6.5-284's or other calibers but it would be interesting.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the quarter bore reigns here in america with plenty o rifles for it but it lacks the manufacturers of bullets doing heavies cuzz i guess the demand is for speed...a 25-06 shooting 160's would rock! come on swift/nosler/barnes/north fork!!! git'r done!

i love the 6.5's for the heavies but i wish gun manufacturers would make a 6.5-06

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seafire, your're so logical !!

Yeah that is a character defect, I have been accused of having for ages...

When I was looking at putting one of these puzzles together several years ago, I had the opportunity to play with a lot of different 6.5s that others I knew owned....

I had a 6.5 x 284 available, a 6.5/06 AI, and a 264 Win Mag, plus a 6.5 Remington Mag...among others...

I already owned a 260 in a Rem VLS... and also owned several 6.5 x 55s....and had ocmparison chrono results shot over my chronograph with both in the AI versions also...

I wanted the rifle to be able to use American made brass, and decided on something just a hair different and more main stream than the 6,5 Swede....

As I was looking at 257 Roberts AI data, comparing it to the 25/06, and the 257 Weatherby, I noticed their velocity potentials based on the amount of powder it took it to get there...

I also stumbled acrross some 6.5 x 300 Weatherby data from someone whom had used it in thousand yard shooting....

I also got input from Sierra, who indicated that the most accurate velocity for their match bullets in 6.5 bore, regardless of caliber was around 2800 to 2900 fps...

Armed with all of this, I took a Model 70 chambered in 06, and removed the barrel.. I then had Kevin Wyatt over here in Medford install a 28 inch heavy magnum contour Pac Nor Barrel, with a one in 8 twist....

I chambered it in the 6.5 x 57, using necked up 257 Roberts + P brass.. I also had him throat the chamber to take full advantage of the magazine length...

With this chamber, if it wanted to go up to any of the other calibers listed above, then we could...

Well, initial research and thought proved out to be right on the money... it gave me everything that a 6.5/06 or AI version would.. it gives me the velocities listed in a 6.5 x 284.. and will actually exceed published velocities.. but Sierra was right on the money that the accuracy for these bullets at 300 or 600 or 800 yds, proved to be with an MV of 2800 to 2900...

It did so while using less powder than all the others, particular a lot less in the case of the 264 Win Mag and the 6.5 Rem Mag....which also reduces recoil and also throat erosion...

I also use powders in the IMR 4064/ RL 15 range instead of the 4350 burn rates....popular with other guys.....

And then when I discovered one of the oldest Mauser centerfire cartridges was the 6.5 x 57, well that was the icing on the cake... it supposedly preceded both the 7 x 57 and the 8 x 57, along with the 6.5 x 55...

Its downfall, was that it was ordered in a time that each nation had to have their own cartridge instead of using what someone else in Europe was using.. and it was the Portugese whom chose the 6.5 x 57... and we all know what a powerful cutting edige military Portugal has...

I really think if the Portugese hadn't already picked the 6.5 bore in the 57 mm case, then the Swedes would have had a 6.5 x 57 instead of a 6.5 x 55, with a little wider base than the other Mauser cartridges....

From 85 grains to 160 grains, this 6.5 x 57, will tack driver any one of those bullet weights a LOOOOONG way out there... it is even amazing how far a 160 grain RN will fly, since despite its RN, it's large sectional density makes it a pretty flat shooting bullet anyway...

So Seafire's long range target rifle and 'off the pickup's hood' antelope and deer zapper, is the 6.5 x 57....

and when Hornady's manual said, that hardly anyone carries one in the USA.. well I knew that someone had to be me!!!! following the road less traveled.. but so logical!!!!

( Mr. Spock maybe???) homer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also wondered why the major bullet manufacturers never considered the .257 cal for bullets heavier than 120 grains, as the 264 cal has been using bullets up to 160 grains for decades. The same situation seems to apply with the .277 and .284 calibres.

Tomorrow I will be testing the Nosler 100 grain BT in my 257W again. Last time out I reached 3450 fps, and hopefully the loads will get to at least 3600 fps at sensible pressures.

The 142 grain Wildcat bullet which was built using a J4 jacket, disintegrated on most occasions at velocities from 3,100 fps and above.

However, so far the Wildcat 125 grain ULD, Nosler 115 grain BT, and Nosler 100 grain BT have not shown any sign of coming apart at the high rpms generated by the 7 twist. If further testing confirms this, then the flexibility of the 257W (and other cases) has increased tremendously, as there is the capacity to use bullets in the 100 - 156 grain range. (maybe more)

I agree that the ability to use the heavier bullets will not appeal to everyone, but I believe that in time a considerable number (like me) will build rifles in 257 cal with faster than the standard 10 twist. Brian.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tomorrow I will be testing the Nosler 100 grain BT in my 257W again. Last time out I reached 3450 fps, and hopefully the loads will get to at least 3600 fps at sensible pressures.

Brian,

Where you mention you results which are within line of factory supplied ammo..for your 257 Weatherby, I think the reason that you don't see bullets bigger than 120 grains in 257 Bore, is that by moving up to 264 bore ( 6.5 mm) you gain more efficiency...

While you mention getting 3450 fps with a 100 grain Ballistic Tip out of your Weatherby.. I am assuming a 26 inch barrel.. correct me if I am wrong...

In a 260 Rem, with a 22 inch barrel, with the same 100 grain Ballistic Tip, I can get 3350 fps.. using 43.5 grains of powder...

In a 260 Rem VLS, with a 26 inch barrel, I can reach the same 3450 fps, with 43.5 grains of powder once again...

I am sure you are using substantially more in your 257 Weatherby.. and also are getting much faster barrel erosion each time you pull the trigger than I am, and also the accompanying increase in recoil...

With a 140 grain Bullet, in a 264 Win Mag, one gets like 3100 fps out of a 140 grain bullet.. in a 6.5 x 55 or 6.5 x 57.. I get 2950 fps out of a 140 grain bullet... once again, using like 40% less powder...

This is not intended to be a flame or slam on Mags in this bore...

it is to point out the lack of practicality to the market potential... of course specialty lines will pop up, but we are not speaking of bullet prices that the general public is willing to pay then.....

If we look at sectional density, of a 100 grain 257 Bore bullet, and then of a 90 grain 264 bore bullet, with both having the same sectional density and hence the same performance capacability.. what your Weatherby achieves in velocity, I can get the same velocity out of a non magnum, 55 mm or 57 mm case in 6.5 bore... a 264 Mag can top that, but when it was marketed, it fell flat on its face, once the public realized the short barrel life that obtained it.. and sales died pretty darn quick...

120 grains is about as heavy of a bullet that the 25 bore market can effectively and efficiently use...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick,
They're not necessary, i've been killing deer(many) and one elk with 100gr.Sierra 100gr. FB Spitzers and they leave NOTHING to be desired. I once gut shot a running deer @225 yds. and it dropped as though it was shot through the lungs. I've never thought about changing, as the saying goes.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seafire,
I'd be glad to have you sittin' in the shack with me this deer season if you ever get over this way, it's not likely but the invitation is open.

Roger,
You're on the guest list as well, maybe ya'all could car pool, with the distance involved it probably won't happen but this is just to let you know that I think we're pretty much on the same page and both of you are welcome anytime.
I just bought a 24' pontoon so it ain't just about hunting.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
Roger,
You're on the guest list as well, maybe ya'all could car pool, with the distance involved it probably won't happen but this is just to let you know that I think we're pretty much on the same page and both of you are welcome anytime.
I just bought a 24' pontoon so it ain't just about hunting.Stepchild

That was a very nice invitation. If you lived no farther than Colorado I might join you. How is the small mouth fishing in your area? saluteroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I live 5 miles from the Au Sable River which has a wide variety of fish from Brown Trout to Bluegills.
To be honest, I haven't been fishing in a lot of years due to work and some health issues but i'm planning on making up for lost time.
I know of a "Honey Hole" not far from here that has better than average Bass fishing(lm&sm) and Bluegills as big or bigger than your hand.
Happy Labor Day to everyone.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .257's are great with all practical varmit to deer bullets, if I need some thing bigger I step up to 7mm

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote