THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Has anyone ever wildcatted the SHORT ultra mag's?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone ever wildcatted the SHORT ultra mag's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
WSM and WSSM cartridges have been necked up and down to almost every possible bullet diam,but what about the 300 or the 7 mm RUM short?

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a 6.5 SAUM [Remmy] and it went really good. Meets or beats a 264 Win Mag with a shorter [22 1/2" barrel Vs. 24"] and a short action to boot. Nice light accurate elk gun for the high country.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bohica,where did you find a reamer,and how are you sizing? Are you just necking down the parent case or did you have a full length sizing die made?I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a 7mmRSAUM. Thanks,Monashee

Posts: 165 | Location: British Columbia,Canada | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. I would really like a 6.5x300 Short RUM .
I have necked up the short RUM brass to take .358 , .416 and .458 bullets .... I however left it at that , not investing the time energy and money into seeing the rifles made and worked ....
. Micheal 458 did and completed the B&M series on the WSM case ... The amount of work involved is amazing ..
. I prefer the Short RUM case to the WSM . The 358 Short Rum looks too good not to make into a rifle ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Gumboot458

Thanks Gum, but the B&M's are as follows---50 B&M Super Short is a WSM case cut to 1.65 and stuff .500 caliber bullets in it, 50 B&M-458 B&M-416 B&M are all RUM cases cut, trimmed to 2.25. The 50 B&M AK is a 50 AK squeezed to .500. Then of course the 500 MDM is a full length RUM at .500.

The only one that is WSM is the Super Short. No harm done, is close anyway.

By the way, over on the B&M I put some Alaskan version rifles on there for you to look at???

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Monashe,
I had the reamer made up by Pacific Tools. The neck was a little too tight so I then used a neck/throat combo to finish the chamber. The cases were made from the 7mm SAUM and I even used a few of the 300 SAUM cases to see how it would go. [7mm SAUM is the way to do it]It is a performer in the same class with any 264 Win Mag.Nice light, quick pointing etc.
Aloha, Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
remind me again, what is the difference between the short remmie cases and the short winchester cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are nearly identical about diameters,but they have different body and neck lenghts

one of us
posted Hide Post
CH/4D lists quite a few dies for the short Rem Ultra mags ... I think upto 416cal. I'd say a bit has been done with them but they haven't been advertised much. The 25cal was done early on and is the only one that seems to have received any press via Jon Sundra.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bohica

a 6.5mm saum is essentially a 6.5-06AI so i would find i hard if not impossible to equal or exceed the 264 win mag. You may be getting the same or greater velocities but no doubt your pressure is very high, just a thought...

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
My Gunsmith and I are getting close to taking a Win M70 with CRF in .300 WSM and converting it to a .416 Cal. I have made up Dummy Cases with both .375 and .416 Bullets. The .416 looks like the best bet. Just not quite sure if we can get in the 2000+ fps?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear fgulla,
I do agree with you about the high pressures needed to meet or beat a 264 Mag. But! The whole thing behind the short, fat cases like the SAUM PPC etc IS high pressure! Several benchrest shooters have told me they are going up above 55,000 PSI and I am sure, I am too! Ferris Pindell himself admitted to 60,000 PSI in the 6PPC. I look for the normal signs of pressure like bolt lift, primer flattening and, of course, case expansion at the web. As long as these three are within my parameters I am happy as long as ACCURACY is there. There is no rhyme nor reason the have velocity without accuracy.
On the other side of the coin? I used my old Rem 700 264 Mag [McGowen XX barrel] for almost all my normal hunting and also culling goats and pigs for over 30 years and 4200 [documented for Uncle Sam] kills before the barrel went south. Reason? I kept the velocity to about 3100 with all bullets used-seldom got it real hot, and kept it clean. Had I REALLY souped it up it probably would only have done about 1/3---1/2 before going to barrel Heaven. My present 6.5 SAUM, because of it`s buggy whip barrel etc will be shot most likely at big game and not all the plinking I would like. Guess I will have to use my 6.5/223 for this!!LOL
Aloha, Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,
I been shooting 6.5 wsm's (3) I built the last couple years and easily equal my beloved 264 mag's .Thats using a crony and comparing data to Sierra's data.With the same powder and bullets =1 to 1.5 gr less.The altitude @ my cabin is 9500ft.Don't know if that plays a part.I love 6.5's. I have 3 6.5-06's and they are not even close to the wsm's with out really jacking up the powder charge

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
My Gunsmith and I are getting close to taking a Win M70 with CRF in .300 WSM and converting it to a .416 Cal. I have made up Dummy Cases with both .375 and .416 Bullets. The .416 looks like the best bet. Just not quite sure if we can get in the 2000+ fps?

Hey Larry

I guess you missed seeing the B&M series rifles?
Been doing that since 2005. Sorry! My 50 B&M--458 B&M--416 B&M--9.3 B&M are all Win M70 WSM actions 18-20 inch barrels. The 416 B&M capable of 2300 fps with a 400 in 18 inches of barrel.

Not my intention to burst bubbles, just make you aware of them. If you are working on your own project I can probably lend a hand and provide some info for you.

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Not my intention to burst bubbles, just make you aware of them. If you are working on your own project I can probably lend a hand and provide some info for you.

Michael

Michael and I had been working both ends of the short cases .. he went with the "short" ones, and I did the standard length versions .. and we started the projects at about the same time.

Its pretty cool to find someone else who GETS IT on what you are doing with your crazy projects.

Noveske and Mann also did a 300wsm straight to 416 .. works great, slight larger gross capacity than a 416x300win .. but at 2.8, its basically a 416 taylor.

I did a 257x300wsm, basicially the day the wsm drawing was released, my reamer was cut ... it was a 257 weatherby, for all intents and purposes ... I might make another one, but it really was "boring" and accurate ..

a 6.5xwsm will have greater capacity than a 264 win .. the wsm case is more or less the same capacity as the 300 win, which is slightly more than a 30-338 .. just slighty... and a 264 win is a 338 necked to 264

its all great fun!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Michael
Nice looking equipment you have. And Yes, we would like some help. I will see my Gunsmith tomorrow and show this to him.
Larry

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Larry

Go on up to Big Bores---go on I think the second page now as the thread has dropped behind and take a long look at the rifles and info there.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/9111029801

There I think that will get you there. Any questions please ask I may not have all the answers but I know where to get them!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I also see the 6.5 WSM mentioned a couple times, including a mention from my pal Jeffe!

I have one of these on a Win M70 FeatherWeight! My boys took it to Africa last year and hammered pigs, impala, hartebeast, and several other things. I even shot a wildebeast with it and 20 yds it was stone cold! I was very impressed with it's performance! So much so that I am currently building a second gun with a heavier barrel and more stable stock. I think maybe it will make one hell of a monkey killer!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
It looks like we are going with the .416 Cal. using the .300 WSM Case. Any advise on which Powder and how much for starters? We think we can ream out the neck on the .300 WSM Dies and make our own expander ball .413 dai.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry

Yeah I have a buddy over in Australia that is doing the same thing 416 WSM. Not much difference in the cases .150 or so. Send me an email michael458@earthlink.net and I can send you some data in which to think about and get started.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
OK, Will do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do the two 9.3 mm B&M look different?
According to the picture they seem to have different body lenghts

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Pivi

Nah, just a camera thing I think. Both the same except for the different bullets.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Noveske and Mann also did a 300wsm straight to 416 .. works great.

And in Australia we have the 'Australian Stalker' series. Basically a 375, 416, 404 and 458 on the WSM case, done by a gunsmith in NSW and retailed with dies and 50 cases for every rifle converted.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Con

Does the Stalker series have anything to do with Chris Boon and his 458 Alpine in Australia? Chris was doing this I think around 2006 or so.
Of course it too is a WSM case.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Con
Do you have any load data on the .416? What does he get for a set of Dies and Cases?
Larry

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where we can get a set of Dies for the .300WSM/.416?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Larry

I am not sure, but it might be possible that RCBS might have the specs on that. I have got some odd things from them in the past. Worth a call to find out.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
We tried Lee first, six month wait. Then RCBS, 2 to 3 month wait. Been calling Redding for 2 days now, all we get is a busy signal. Guess they are two busy to answer their phone. Thinking we may have to make our own.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Well in that case try Hornady. But I know if they have to make them it will be 6 months. I just ordered 17 sets of dies for the various cartridges I work with--6 months! They already have the specs locked in on these too.

RCBS must be backed up, I got my 9.3 B&M in 5 weeks from zero!

Ouch!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I just found CH4D website. I called them and they have them in stock. Problem Solved. dancing

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Oh great! You know I forgot about them! I have never dealt with them, don't know them, but they also have some of the B&Ms listed. Don't know where or how they come up with them???

That is good! Excellent!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Yes, I see they had them listed. Prices are less then Lee & RCBS also.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Larry
I have never tried any of their dies. When you get yours let me know what you think about them!

RCBS is $285 a set for the B&M dies!!!!! Don't matter if 1 set or 25 sets!

Hornady is a little better. To be honest I am really liking the Hornady dies too!.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Michael
I had one set of Hornady Dies, sent them back. I prefer RCBS because of how good there Customer Service is. I will post progress as we proceed with this project. I should have the CH Dies sometime next week.
Larry