Notify
Tools

411x66 aka 9,9x66
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
o.k.

i got some great feedback from fred zeglin re the 411x66...

i thought you could get away with 411 express reamer and dies but it needs a custom reamer but it would still be a humdinger of a round if you were to max out an 06 boltface/rifle imho...yes you could do the 416x66 as i have previously posted but to focus on the 411...
aparently it will have over 83 grains of water capacity which is one grain more than the 411 express so you can use the 411 express loads and ballistics.

a kinda neet thought is to make headstamped brass by turning the 9,3x66 headstamp into a 9,9x66 with verrry little trouble if headstamp brass was an issue.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Yupp,
THIS is a GREAT idea!!!
With a drop box magazine, you could get 7 down and one in the chamber, and get 2250/3000 f/s with 400 grains bullets, or 2400 with Northforks 360grs. Whenever bullets that big are needed, magazine capasity should be desireable!

It should be the perfect guide gun for Alaska and Africa!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
glad you like the idea bent thumb

do you have the ability to make a dummy round?

i dont have 66 brass and it might work in your wildcat dies i think bewildered

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
bent...what set up do you need to get SEVEN down +1 Eeker

dg ballistics and an eight shooter Eeker

thats more than enough reason for this project...

can a blr do that? maybe with a custom mag...

p.s. what do you think of the 9,9x66 headstamp?

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Boom, I have seen the '66 necked up to .416, but i think that neck is to small. The .411 should be perfect. A Win 70 with a drop-magazine should easily take 6, maybe 7.I was a little hasty, maybe 7 is to many. It is not usual with a drop-magazine for cartridges of this diameter, would be fun to try.

Man, do not blr me, you hear?? Wink

The 9,9 headstamp does not impress me. If you have to do it that way, make the 3 a 8, that will look better.

A dummy would be nice to make, but I do not have either cases or bullets.

And, I am going to make a 10,75x68 any way.....

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: I still like my .416 Newton idea...I have my
rifle now all made. The case can easily be formed from .338 WinMag, .358 Norma, .458 WinMag...but when jamison comes out with his .35 Newton cases,
that will be how it was originally made (only 4 by using a .405 Win. Barrel)..I just went to a .416 instead of a .411 bore. So is a "borrowed idea".
The belts on parent belted cases mentioned above don't space on the belt, but belt goes in the chamber & flattens some on firing.
Also, when .375 Ruger brass becomes available, that would be an easy parent case for the .416 Newton.
A Norwegian cartridge collector good friend of mine put some .416 Newtons alongside his .416 Taylor cases (he likes & shoots the .416 Taylor), and says the .416 Newton case looks better than the .416 Taylor. The Newton from .338 brass holds 92.7 gr. water...but I think will hold more with unbelted brass. It is nominally a fat 2.5 inch case (mine are actually 2.47"). Fits the catagory of a short .416 unbelted case. It will do all a .416 Taylor will, and also the .416 Rigby factory loads.
There is also talk from associates of intentions from one of building new Newton Rifles again, and another of chambering Mauser actions to the Newton cartridges once new Newton Brass becomes available. I'd like to see it happen.
Best Regards,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ps. If you have Fred Zeglin's Book, "Wildcat
Catridges"...he devotes a Chapter to Charles Newton...labeling him "Ballistic Genius"..he experimented with Hundreds of wildcat cartidges as well as his factory cartridges.
Larry Wales has also recently come out with a nifty book: "The History & Details of Newton High Power Rifles". There are dimensional original factory
Newton cartridges in it. Its a good read & reference & compliments the older Bruce Jennings Book: "Charles Newton Father of High Veocity".
Best Regards,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote