New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Gibbs, anyone loading for it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a 35 Gibbs case and started thinking about it. Not bad at all. The shoulder is minimal to offset the sharp angle, for feeding. And it's easy to get 4-5 in the mag.

Anyone playing with one?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Interesting. This must have been developed after Rocky Gibbs' passing, as he only went as far as the 338...which he thought was the maximum for the case, with his short neck and 35 deg shoulder.

Should be pretty cool...minimum neck for sure, but should do better than a Whelen.

Cheers,
Canuck

ps: I have a 6.5 Gibbs.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had my own version. Used a 280 case and 40 deg. We discussed improving the Whelen in this thread.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=381109296#381109296

I agree with Canuck someone took the Gibbs design and enlarged it to 358. Good comparison would be the 358Hawk and 350 Howell. I use a 338 version all the time.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little late here but fwiw I have a full set of Gibbs chamberings. My 35 is actually a Brown/Whelan but looks same as a Gibbs 338. Most will tell you that it is redundant to improve the 35 Whelan, I would disagree. My dad has a 358 Norma with a 23" barrel and these B/W achieve vel. close to Norma in 7 lb. rifles with 21". We have 3 of these B/W rifles on vz24 actions and use them alot. With cast bullets and light loads the buys shoot gophers from horseback in the summer. Serves 2 purposes,horse gets used to the bang and boys get used to the rifle. This is 1 of my fav. cart. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I had a 30 gibbs along time ago ...I still have some of the ammo and have thot it would make a great 35.......However .,., for the work involved I just scratched the itch with the 9.3x64 Brenneke . It is a round that I just want to settle down with as it does every thing well........And it is almost a wildcat ?????? coffee

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
I had a 30 gibbs along time ago ...I still have some of the ammo and have thot it would make a great 35.......However .,., for the work involved I just scratched the itch with the 9.3x64 Brenneke . It is a round that I just want to settle down with as it does every thing well........And it is almost a wildcat ?????? coffee

I'm shooting a 9.3x64, so don't need a 35 Gibbs but I want to see what it'll do.
p.s. I can build it cheap for a training activity.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote