Find
Notify
Tools

Pac-Nor barrel for the .400 Whelen.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted
I'm thinking of building a rifle chambered in .400 Whelen, and I see Pac-Nor deliver barrels. But does anyone know what version the deliver? I have tried to mail them a couple of times, but haven't got any replies. I'm going for the .400 Whelen Ackley version.

Never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posts: 182 | Location: Nord-Trøndelag-Norway | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I have worked with Pac Nor before and they are great. Just pick up the phone and call for faster service.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have tried to mail them a couple of times, but haven't got any replies. I'm going for the .400 Whelen Ackley version.

I doubt there is a Ackley version. The confusion comes from the fact that most people were not aware that unlike the smaller Whelens the 400 used a .458 shoulder not the .411. As to a 40 deg vs a 17 deg angle you would never see the difference and it would have no impact on capacity.

I stole this from Michael Petrov's Article in Precision Shooting 2/01. I would be happy to email his entire articles if you are interested. Z-Hat uses a large portion of the story in his 411Hawk write up. http://www.z-hat.com/smashing_the_headspace_myth.htm

"""The biggest challenge I faced in learning about the .400 was to find and record chamber dimensions of the older original rifles. Although it was not a popular cartridge there have been several .400's made over the last 78 years. Most of the problems with this cartridge I have been able to trace to one factor. The. 30-06, .25 Whelen (.25-06), .35 Whelen and .38 Whelen all have a shoulder diameter of .441. "The ORIGINAL .400 Whelen shoulder is .458". When and how this information got lost to modern riflemen and writers I have no idea. Many 400's that were made in later years for which I have measurements have the .441" shoulder; this is also true of many resizing dies."""

I've built my own version called the 400PDK there have been several threads on it if you do a search. Yes it can give a little higher velocity than the Whelen but not really enough that anything you shoot would ever know the difference.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lakelander:
I'm thinking of building a rifle chambered in .400 Whelen, and I see Pac-Nor deliver barrels. But does anyone know what version the deliver? I have tried to mail them a couple of times, but haven't got any replies. I'm going for the .400 Whelen Ackley version.

http://www.pac-nor.com/
Try the email link on their web page, they respond more quickly to email.

I built the .411 Hawk, no regrets.
If you are interested:

http://www.z-hat.com/411%20Hawk.htm

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answers.

I'm avare of Mr. Petrovs articles, and I have also been in contact with him.

I believe there is an Ackley version, and I think ch4d has dies in stock.

See this thread:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=969101245#969101245

I have talked to Mr. Davison of ch4d, and he can make the dies whatever dimension I want, but I would like to know what dimension Pac-Nor chambers in.

I have sent them another mail, and if I dont't get an answer I shall try to call them.

I already have a .35 Whelen and the .400 Whelen is in my view a true classic.

Never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posts: 182 | Location: Nord-Trøndelag-Norway | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe there is an Ackley version

There may well be. However, for my $ if I could find everything great. If I couldn't find an AI but could find the basic with the correct .458 shoulder I would be happy. Ackley "normally" used a .454 shoulder on the 06 case. A true 400 Whelen should be .458". Assumning the 400 AI is .458 and not .454 using a 40deg shoulder vs 17 deg of the parent moves the side shoulder corner forward by only .016" That is about the thickness of 4-5 sheets of copier paper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted Hide Post
Now I have got the info from Pac-Nor, thanks to Penny and Duggaboye.

Pac-Nor's dimensions:

The original .400 Whelen:

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hmm shoulder is forward from the original and .455 vs .458. Just checked the taper that gives you .455 at 1.96 gives you .456 at 1.865.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted Hide Post
Here's another version:

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
So Lakelander which one will you build?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted Hide Post
I will go for the version chambered by Pac-Nor. I've ordered dies from ch4d, I've used them before. It will be a couple of months before I get the barrel and maybe even longer before I get the dies.